Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Going to Laconia What do I need to bring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Bob Coco
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Going to Laconia What do I need to bring?

This is me and my Dad's first trip. I booked a cabin 15 minutes from Weirs Beach and we are taking the ferry over to New London. 190 miles from there. Not a big deal but this is my dads first trip over 50 miles. We are both on new bikes as well. He bought a 03 CVO Road King and I bought an 08 Electra Glide Ultra classic. I'm bringing rain gear and I'm assuming the saddle bags and tour pack are farely water tight? What tools should I pack.
Neither bike has a tool kit. I plan on stopping probably twice going up so my dad can stretch out. I just picked up a set of wrenches and some pliers, a couple screwdrivers. I just ordered a Tour Pak luggage rack and will strap a bag down there. Any suggestions on what I must or should bring would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Money

Old 03-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a cabin up by Laconia. You will have a great time. Make sure you take a ride thru Franconia Notch, Crawford Notch and up the access road from Jackson up to the base of Mt. Washington. All not to be missed/on any map/tourist info. Great laid back coffee shop right in the center of Franconia (on right going north) with good food also. You can also ride to the top of Mt. Washington (Monday + Thursday are bikes only), costs a few bucks/not much, but be aware, it is paved most of the way except the last 2 miles are gravel. 6500 ft tall/awesome views. Tons of bike make the ride. Lots of shops, restaurants, etc. in north conway, buy be careful, lots of traffic. Another awesome ride not to miss is the Kangamangus highway (spelling). It runs from Lincoln/Woodstock (GREAT pub here - Truants Tavern, at corner by only red light in town, good food, 15 beers on tap...) to Conway (south of north conway). NOTE - A few miles from conway, take a left on Bear Notch Road, awesome views and cuts off the traffic in north conway. At the end of bear notch, take a left to crawford notch or go right to Jackson (left in Jackson to Mt washington) and continue into north conway from the north if you want.
As far as your bags, I bought some waterproof liner bags at a hiking store (they have diff sizes). I have spent 3 days solid in the rain on a trip and all my stuff stayed dry...Just remembered, the Mt. Washington ship is on Lake Winnipasaukee and on Friday night they have a biker trip with food and booze around the lake, Very nice/big lake. I had a sailboat on the Lake for years...then I had kids...Ride safe and have fun. Ps Weirs beach (laconia headquarters is good for a few hours but crowded and loaded with the usual vendors with stuff you don't need...You sign the quest book here and the Mt. washington ship is docked here. Sorry so long.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 AM
Bob Coco
Intermediate

Thanks Rodzilla. I will print up your suggestions and check them out. I have a Zumo GPS and plan on exploring a bit. There's actually four bikes going but I think I'm in charge of planning this trip. Can't wait.

Gotta run, I'm in the Montauk Saint Patricks Day parade today. Wish the bike had heat today. Breaking out the thermals. LOL

Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Bob Coco
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yellotang
Money
Yes I plan on bringing a big wad of cash as well.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Rain gear. They don't call it Rainconia Bike week for nothing.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM
pei biker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went last year and will be returning this year. We were lucky last year, there was about 10 min. of really light rain on the way and then it was sunny and hot all week long. We did the MT. Washington run and it was great. Weirs beach is crowded but nice to walk through and if you want anything done to your bike that is the place to get something done. Anyway have fun there are tons of miles to put on in that area and lots to see.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going up to Laconia on June 8 and staying all week at my place in Warren, NH (over by Lincoln/Woodstock) with my brother and a buddy. Cannot wait! We got together to do some planning last week and to re-hydrate...with beer. If anyone wants to catch up for a beer/quality coffee while up there, give me a shout. I went up to Prince Edward Island in Canada for the Atlanticade bike rally last year with my brother. It is fairly close, awesome riding on the way (go the airline rt.9 from Bangor to calais-awesome, you can cruse...ps half way, only 1 small diner on left makes home made donuts fresh every day, awesome) and fantastic riding on the island with local folks showing us around. I am trying to get back up this year but my Mom is ill, so she is the priority right now...Anybody looking for a great trip, don't miss it. I plan to go every year after Mom gets situated. It helps that I have some relatives in New Brunswick where my Mom grew up. Ps Canadian Customs folks are AWESOME and do their job well BUT TREAT YOU WITH RESPECT...American customs are 50/50 respectful/DISRESPECTFUL MORONS...My brother was accused for no reason of being part of a motorcycle gang (some gang with my brother on his heritage...not) and this ring-ding insisted that my brother tell him where he got the money to go to atlanticade, since he wasn't working??? Why is this his business?? My brother worked his butt off in life and could buy this moron 100 times over and then some...he should be digging a ditch somewhere, period. I had a female and she was VERY good at her job. ps If near, Bangor ever, stay at Bucksport motor inn. Bike friendly, family run, give you microtowels to wash your bike, wash station AND YOU CAN EAT OFF THE FLOORS IN THE ROOMS THEY ARE SO CLEAN, and reasonably priced. Breakfast place in front and lobster place/lounge up the street. Can't beat it.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 AM
pei biker
Advanced

Hey Rodzilla 6, you have a cabin near there do you know of any where that will rent out a place for 4 to 6 people near weirs beach. We are about 30 min. out now where we are booked.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:20 AM
pei biker
Advanced

Glad to here you had a great time at Atlanticade last year. They are saying it is suppose to be bigger and better then ever. If you make it this year give me a PM we are only 10 min away from Summerside.

Quick Reply: Going to Laconia What do I need to bring?