Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis 75th Anniversary 2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 06:29 PM
tonymontanna1983
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Bayoudude
Got back yesterday at about 4. 10 days, 4600 miles and great memories. Left South La. on last friday at about 7 am. Make Sherman, Tx. that evening. On to Tucumcari, NM next. Stayed at the Blue Swallow Motel. Highly recommend it if you are ever in that area. It is redone in retro 50's era and is on Rte. 66. The next night it was Manitou Springs Co. Did Pikes Peak, unbelievable for a south La boy. Then into Rapid City. Stayed 3 days there and left out Thursday morning. Took a different rte. back and stayed in Buena Vista Co. that night. Road south across Monarch pass and Hwy. 149 all the way down to Las Vegas NM. Onto Sherman Tx. the next night. Saw temp on bike at 108. I don't know how accurate that is but it felt like we were riding through a blow dryer. Then onto to South La yesterday. Enjoyed it all. No problems with the bikes except my buddy had a shifter problem the first day in Paris Tx. After a little WD40 all was good the rest of the time.

Glad to see you had a good trip!

Old 08-18-2015, 07:18 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,982 Likes on 1,422 Posts

I think the thing that stood out most for me this year is how many trikes and other three wheel vehicles there were at Sturgis. Yes, they have always been there to some degree but it seemed to me many more than the last time I attended Sturgis, which was in 2005. Anyone else notice this?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:42 PM
hooter57
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree, seemed like a ton more trikes than in the past.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Willy Fister
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode mine, 1st year I ever went. Three days to get there from Indy. Stayed in Rapid City, and Glencoe camp ground the last night we was there, Friday. Rode to Spearfish, Deadwood, and to Wyoming first day. Sturgis the second day. Went to Custer, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse the third day. Cut threw the Badlands to avoid the backup on I-90 Saturday. Seen a guy with about 70% road rash on his upper body. A friend lead me to believe we would be sitting inline for gas for ever. One or two dudes is all I ever had to wait. Did I mention they start selling cold beer everyday the week every where you go outside of Indiana? We would turn around and go back to a secluded spots to get back with nature. In a city of 1.6 million people, we only seen a few and they all had the best stories I heard in my life. Had dinner with a Chief of Police and nuclear scientist who worked in every hostel territory on this planet. Destiny made them Ride to Sturgis for what ever reason. We went bar hopping in Sturgis for breakfast. Prime parking time. The Knuckle, EasyRiders Saloon, The Dungeon Bar....... and that's all I can remember. Indian taco and a nap. Seen a prairie dog, 3 burros, some sort of 3 horned goat, and buffalo on Custer Loop. Seen deer everywhere, and a red fox at Badlands Caverns. We camped behind the Beaver Bar (Glencoe) the last night, didn't get a once of sleep. Another Indian taco from the Full Throttle, stamp, nap, back to the Throttle skipping the cover charge line with our nifty stamps from earlier. We had to leave once I told my best friend since third grade that I was going to get my bike. The Burn Out Pit was everything worth riding 1250 miles. We sat on railroad tracks under a bridge behind the hotel each night enjoying the lighting shows in the distant sky. With faith in the road gods and Godspeed on our backs the sky parts for a safe dry ride home. Only till next time, when ever that time comes.

Last edited by Willy Fister; 08-19-2015 at 03:53 PM.