Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

My Smokey Mtn trip (pic's)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts
Default My Smokey Mtn trip (pic's)

Day One May 3rd
We were up by 5am. A quick shower and a few double checks and we were rolling Through Dallas on our way to North Carolina. Ok ok! lets slow down here. After all a man has to eat. So After a quick bite on the east side of Dallas, Now we were rolling. I waited to make any reservations until the week before we left. Who knew all of Memphis would be sold out. So to stay close to our Route on our second day I made a reservation in Olive Branch,MS. Our route this day was pretty simple. I-30 to Little Rock then I-40 to Memphis. Swing around the loop south and pick up Hwy 78 to the Best western in Olive Branch. I knew this was a 500 mile day. Because of that we would be taking plenty of breaks. WE tried to do this about every hour or so. Because we were rolling all Interstate, that worked out to about every 75 miles give or take a few.
About the only real problem we ran into was a accident in the construction about 50 miles outside Memphis. We sat on the Interstate for about 20 minutes. That's when its nice to have a CB to find out what is going on. Good thing we had water. Other then the Idiot in Memphis who thought he wanted my lane, we arrived at the Motel without any problems.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Breakfast!!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:16 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

getting Gas

Old 05-11-2014, 10:16 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Ok! Leaving Texas

Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

one of several breaks

Old 05-11-2014, 10:18 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

the rest areas are nice.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Crossing the Mississippi!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:48 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Day Two
Headed to Lynchburg,TN
We went cheap this morning and ate the free Breakfast at the Motel. It was ok. Lunch would be better. We headed back into Memphis and jump on the loop, took that around to I-40 and took Hwy 64 East. Now I know that we may have gotten to Lynchburg faster by Interstate, But I had had enough of that for a while. This Hwy wasn't to bad. Most of it was 4 lane, but it offered some nice scenery. It was kinda funny though, every bike we saw was going the other way. We kept thinking we were going the wrong way. One of my Deals on a road trip is to try my best to stay away from Chain restaurants. So for lunch we were looking for something with a little small town charm.
The other thing is that since this was Sunday, Our Goal was to find something Before the Church crowd got out at Noon. From the time we got on this Highway (around 8:30)
till around 11:30 traffic was pretty light. We got lucky and found a town square in this one little town. And lo and behold there it was. The Place almost everyone went to on Sunday. We looked so out of place here. As soon as we opened the door at 11:55 it seemed like every set of eyes was looking at us. You know that look...STRANGERS! I laughed to myself as this doesn't bother me one bit. The wife, well Lets just say she tried to hide behind me. There special was a all you can eat, We passed on that.
It was starting to get warm and I knew that would make me sleepy. So after a quick bite we rolled out of town. I wanted to get to the Jack Daniels Distillery before 3:00 so we needed to boogie.
We made good time after lunch and arrived in Lynchburg around 2:15. We parked where all the bikes parked and waited for the next Free tour. If you ever are in this area then make this a must do. Very good tour. Pretty neat to see how they make my favorite whiskey. After the tour we decided to walk to the town square. its not that far, and frankly we needed the exercise after being on the bike all day. So loaded up with goodies we rolled out of town for the 22 mile ride to Winchester,TN. Another Best Western, And we lucked out With a Mexican food Restaurant across the Street. The Margaritas really hit the spot.
After the Following pic's.... To be Continued.

Last edited by mike in dallas; 05-11-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:24 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Old 05-11-2014, 11:25 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

Quick Reply: My Smokey Mtn trip (pic's)