Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Info for trip to Adirondack Mtns pls

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 PM
IslandGlide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info for trip to Adirondack Mtns pls

Hi folks. Going to spend a couple of nites in the Adirondacks with my wife and another couple for our annual trip. We usually stay in reasonable price drive ups but this year we want to try a nite in a cabin--somewhere to have a bbq/bonfire/outdoor type of nite. Anyone have a decent recommendation of somewhere you are familiar with. Also, as we'll spending about 2 1/2 days in the area, so if you have any "must ride" routes, let me know! I figure trusting the forum folks is way better than any other research. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Contact Hollowpoint to get some ideas on cabins in the Wilmington area, near Whiteface Mountain. As for rides, you can follow any of the rodes in the area to find lots of views and great rides. Roads are a bit rough this year so don't grit your teeth. Try the ride from Lake Placid (rt86) past Whiteface and then through Wilmington. Turn right at the four corners in Wilmington and go through Jay. Turn right in Jay (rt9N) and take a nice ride to Keene. You can grab a bite to eat in Keene and then head back to Lake Placid on rt 73. Another ride is to take rt 3 from Lake Placid to Saranac Lake and then to Tupper Lake. Go through Tupper Lake and take rt 30 to Long Lake. While in Long Lake you can spend time at a town park there and also take a Pontoon Plane ride while you are there. If you just check a map, the old fashioned way, and not GPS, you can have a lot of day trips using Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, or Tupper Lake as your main camp. I am sure that as others read this they will also have favorite trips. Good luck and enjoy the trip.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:55 PM
PaulyZ
1st Gear

I have never stayed overnight but do make day runs into the park. Some of the routes that I like to run are:
- NY28 from Old Forge to Gore Mountain.
- NY 30 from Indian Lake to Tupper Lake.
- NY 3 --> 86 from Tupper Lake to Lake Placid (chairlift at Whiteface is worth the time, Tail O' the Pup is biker friendly and typically packed) to Wilmington.
- NY 30 --> NY 26 --> NY 3 loop.
Like Drat mentioned, bring a map. Lots of gaps in satellite and cell service.
Have fun.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM
nervous
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

You didn't mention which way you plan on coming. The Adirondacks cover an enormous territory and I'm always amazed how many places I'll see "entering the Adirondack Park" signs. Indian Lake is a beautiful area with an interesting history and your off in any direction to more lovely areas. Main roads are well maintained and tend to be enjoyable to cruise. As beautiful as it all is it can begin to look a lot lake no matter what part you're in. Right in my backyard really. I guess I'm technically in the foothills of the Adirondacks.

Last edited by nervous; 06-18-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:20 PM
IslandGlide
Cruiser

We'll be coming into the area around Glens Falls on a Monday evening and will probably be leaving the area on a Thursday morning, from the North East