Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need Advice...Yellowstone to......?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 09:39 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Need Advice...Yellowstone to......?

Now for something totally different....someone asking advice of where to go

Planning a 3 bike (and probably 4 people) trip next year. Going to be around mid to late July it looks like. We will be leaving Boise and heading to Yellowstone for sure. Going to stop at Jackson either before or after, depending on which way we head after Yellowstone.
We were originally going to go down through Colorado, then Utah, back home.
Now we all have our passports so we were tossing around the idea of going North through Montana into Canada, then over through the Coeur d'Alene and back home.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-14-2014, 10:52 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

From Portland, I have done Portland to Lewiston to Lolo Pass to Glacier and back through Sandpoint AND Portland to Idaho Falls (via US20/26), to Jackson to Yellowstone, to Missoula, home through Lolo AND Portland to Twin Falls to Moab via Bryce Cyn and UT12. In other words, take your pick. They are all great rides. For me, I tried to stay off the Interstates and that is the fun part. You go through some great towns and see lots of small local sights

Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,601 Posts

If you go through Montana to Canada, I would suggest going through Waterton AB, up to Pincher Creek, then through Crowsnest pass. Lots to see, lots of history in that pass. Old mining area with lots of tragedy. From there, you can figure out where you want to cross the border again. It is a very scenic ride in the mountains, if thats what you're into.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DBlass
From Portland, I have done Portland to Lewiston to Lolo Pass to Glacier and back through Sandpoint AND Portland to Idaho Falls (via US20/26), to Jackson to Yellowstone, to Missoula, home through Lolo AND Portland to Twin Falls to Moab via Bryce Cyn and UT12. In other words, take your pick. They are all great rides. For me, I tried to stay off the Interstates and that is the fun part. You go through some great towns and see lots of small local sights
How was Moab and Bryce Canyon? Wonder if they would be stupid hot in July? If I go south after Yellowstone I can hit parts of Colorado too. I like staying off the freeways for the most part, not much fun. I don't like going over 70 for very long, no windshield and it seems I get crappy fuel mileage anywhere above.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:42 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by zal
If you go through Montana to Canada, I would suggest going through Waterton AB, up to Pincher Creek, then through Crowsnest pass. Lots to see, lots of history in that pass. Old mining area with lots of tragedy. From there, you can figure out where you want to cross the border again. It is a very scenic ride in the mountains, if thats what you're into.
So are you saying take Hwy 6 north to Pincher Creek? Then take Hwy 3 to maybe Cranbrook? Will Hwy 3 take me over Crowsnest? Then it looks like maybe could take Hwy 95 through Coeur d'Alene, back home.
I do like mountains and it should be cooler in all those areas I think. What about weather? Do you think we would run into much rain up in those areas?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:44 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the advice so far Zal and DBlass ! Still open for some more suggestions.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to check with your insurance company as to whether their coverage extends to Canada.
IIRC, Mexico does not accept US coverage and requires you to be covered through a Mexican outfit.

I don't know if there may be a similar requirement for The Great White North..

Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
You might want to check with your insurance company as to whether their coverage extends to Canada.
IIRC, Mexico does not accept US coverage and requires you to be covered through a Mexican outfit.

I don't know if there may be a similar requirement for The Great White North..
Good thinking. I'll need to check into that. If I do need different insurance, or added coverage it probably wouldn't be worth it to go there for me.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:51 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Good thinking. I'll need to check into that. If I do need different insurance, or added coverage it probably wouldn't be worth it to go there for me.
I'm headed to Harrison Hot Springs, British Columbia in September. My understand is that you must carry proof of insurance (full coverage) with you. I don't believe you need additional coverage to ride in Canada. Maybe one of our Canadian friends will chime in. Don't let that deter you from the suggestions of riding there. The Canadian Rockies and Crow's Nest Pass are a must-see.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 PM
zal
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,084 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
So are you saying take Hwy 6 north to Pincher Creek? Then take Hwy 3 to maybe Cranbrook? Will Hwy 3 take me over Crowsnest? Then it looks like maybe could take Hwy 95 through Coeur d'Alene, back home.
I do like mountains and it should be cooler in all those areas I think. What about weather? Do you think we would run into much rain up in those areas?
Yup, that would be a nice trip. As for weather, depends. When we went a while ago, never had any rain. It is a bit windy near Pincher Creek, hence why they have them huge wind mills.

Creston has the Kokanee Beer tour if interested. As for insurance, proof of insurance and registration. Shouldn't be a problem if you have that. Best to check in case.

Quick Reply: Need Advice...Yellowstone to......?