Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Dealer Calls me and says warranty is void

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 12:36 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

You said "extended warranty", but I assume you mean Extended Service Plan.

Basically, they're trying to screw you. Ask for a written estimate for the work that needs to be done. If there's nothing that is directly related to the state of tune of the bike, meaning fuel and ignition, then get a lawyer.

The following users liked this post:
cajunlowrider (04-16-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 12:37 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

My advice, raise hell. They knew the tuner was on it before it was pulled!

Old 04-14-2017, 12:44 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
You said "extended warranty", but I assume you mean Extended Service Plan.

Basically, they're trying to screw you. Ask for a written estimate for the work that needs to be done. If there's nothing that is directly related to the state of tune of the bike, meaning fuel and ignition, then get a lawyer.
FWIW, my ride has an "extended warranty" covering OEM parts and labor for a total of 5 years, (3 years beyond the standard 2 year warranty). There is a $50.00 deductible per warranty claim.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:48 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
FWIW, my ride has an "extended warranty" covering OEM parts and labor for a total of 5 years, (3 years beyond the standard 2 year warranty). There is a $50.00 deductible per warranty claim.
Not that it matters to the discussion, but if you read your paperwork, you will see that it is an ESP, or Extended Service Plan. The factory warranty is two years from the date of purchase, and may not be extended.

Back to the topic.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:09 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

if you left your power vision and target tune on your bike when it went in for service you have a problem. if you unhooked your narrow band sensors and they were not hooked up when the bike went in for service you have a problem. if you did not restore your STOCK map back to your ECM before it went in for service you have a problem.

the mere presence of a alterning device for fuel, timing or other basic emission controls provides enough evidence to void your ESP.
they take pictures of everything, the inspector is not even allowed to talk to you when he is doing the inspection nor is he allowed to give you his report. All is sent back to headquarters and his observatios,pictures and other electronic evidence is used to make a determination.

this determination is not made by the inspector alone.

once a repair is authorized only the work authorized can be completed under ESP. if you want more, its your dime.

i had this experience and it sucks. be nice, be thoughtful and be diligent. persistence pays off vs being a bad ***.

i hope it works out for you. mine worked out because of 3 random but connected events. one, i took the power vision off the bike, 2 my 02 sensors were hooked up and 3 i restored the stock tune back to the ECM on advice if the technician who was to work on the bike. i was questioned by the inspector through the dealer if it had a tuning device installed, i did not answer the question, i asked "what is that?" appearing ignorant is better than being smart. last, my failure was 100% mechanical, with a broken lifter. i could point and say, that dont look right.

ps, if they do void your coverage for esp, it is specific. engine, trans, etc. its not for the entire bike.

my cvo has its coverage voided for the engine, ( installed 120R) but everything else is still covered, including wheel/tire.

Last edited by bigskyroadglide; 04-14-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Scudda (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 01:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by WRE4U
I thought that this model came standard with the SE Tuner? If so you definitely should be covered.
Tuner has never been standard on any HD.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:50 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Good luck. My bike had the extended warranty. Long about 15K, there was ticking noise from the primary. They went in and $50 later told me the compensator had got loose. Abut 25K, same spill and $50. At 30, the same thing. I got tired of the $50 and pulled it down. All they had been doing was tightening it down. What truly was the problem was the alternator rotor spline was gone and it would slip wearing an area in the soft metal. This would let the sprocket move over and the chain would nip and make the tick. Bolt was still tight with loctite.
I took the parts in figuring they would appreciate me doing all the work.? Ha. First thing out of their mouths was they were voiding the warranty. I did a little fussing and ended up in the owner's office. I dropped the rotor down on her desk and my last two repair bills. She told me it was too late to save the warrant since the mother ship now knew but that the dealership would give me 10% off parts on it.

I can see there point with some cases. The mother ship is catching broken modified Harleys that their dealers do making money. My bike was stock and they screw me three times. So good luck.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:43 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Unfortunately I think we are going to be hearing this more & more.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-15-2017, 05:11 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

I had the dealer email the ESP company when I purchased mine and they sent me a
email back stating anything that's installed that states for race use only voids my ESP. That would cover many areas of engine and exhaust. I'm gonna say your out of luck on this one.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:21 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Unfortunately I think we are going to be hearing this more & more.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...
I believe you are right.

HD better cut that sh*t out or they'll cut their own throat. A lot of people buy new HDs for the "piece of mind" warranty. If HD does everything they can to deny warranty claims there's no incentive for many customers to buy new. Let's face it, one Harley is basically just like the other, brand new or 15 years old; it's an overweight, under powered machine with crap suspension. A clean low miles used bike will do everything a new M8 will, except for linking your text messages to your "infotainment" screen (don't get me started on that one).

My point is, one of the hallmarks of HDs marketing is "make it your own". But if making it your own puts you "on your own" more people who are mechanically inclined (or are willing to learn) are going to buy used for a fraction of the price. The US is lousy with low mile, well cared for Harleys. Some may even opt to buy another brand that doesn't require modifications out of the showroom that can potentially render the warranty useless. That could cause a serious dip in sales.

I don't know if I'm right or not; only time will tell. I love my Harleys but I could give a tinker's dam if HD stays in business. I can Craigslist or after market my way into anything I need for the ones parked in my garage for as long as I live.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-15-2017 at 06:24 AM.
hvacgaspiping (04-17-2017)

Quick Reply: Dealer Calls me and says warranty is void