Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Dealer Calls me and says warranty is void

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 06:39 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I believe you are right.

HD better cut that sh*t out or they'll cut their own throat. A lot of people buy new HDs for the "piece of mind" warranty. If HD does everything they can to deny warranty claims there's no incentive for many customers to buy new. Let's face it, one Harley is basically just like the other, brand new or 15 years old; it's an overweight, under powered machine with crap suspension. A clean low miles used bike will do everything a new M8 will, except for linking your text messages to your "infotainment" screen (don't get me started on that one).

My point is, one of the hallmarks of HDs marketing is "make it your own". But if making it your own puts you "on your own" more people who are mechanically inclined (or are willing to learn) are going to buy used for a fraction of the price. The US is lousy with low mile, well cared for Harleys. Some may even opt to buy another brand that doesn't require modifications out of the showroom that can potentially render the warranty useless. That could cause a serious dip in sales.

I don't know if I'm right or not; only time will tell. I love my Harleys but I could give a tinker's dam if HD stays in business. I can Craigslist or after market my way into anything I need for the ones parked in my garage for as long as I live.

Damn fine post, IMHO. The execs at HD should print this and tape it to "their" fridge.

The following 3 users liked this post by HKMark23:
Campy Roadie (04-15-2017), geminisdividing (05-10-2017), pearsom (05-24-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

People have been saying that for years......but they keep on selling. Until a brand comes along and gives them a run for there money, they pretty much dictate to the market. Come on.....look at what they have done to customers all the problems that have been released to the market, with the beginning of the twin cams, cylinders, pistons, clutch problems, brake problems, compensator problems. Does Harley really test these things, or do they use their customers for beta testing?
I'm just as guilty as anyone, I own 2 Harleys now and have owned a few before that. Probably buy another one at some point. I would really like to think that Harley has their customers best interest in mind, but I really think its all about the dollars. Until we see something change in spending habits, or some competition comes along and takes market share....we will just see more of the same from them. Rant over!!
To the op with the ESP problem, been down the same rode with a 2010 Street Glide. Good luck, tell them what you expect, and stand your ground.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:09 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,503 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23

Damn fine post, IMHO. The execs at HD should print this and tape it to "their" fridge.
Ah yes, but they have 80% market share of the heavyweight motorcycle class.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:11 PM
PistolPete83
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
My advice, raise hell. They knew the tuner was on it before it was pulled!
couldn't agree more...they did the work they should inform you ahead of time...or pull the tuner and go somewhere else

Old 04-15-2017, 11:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The warranty is a different issue than the Extended Service plan. Most Extended service plans do not allow any mods. Always read the fine print. ESP's are not covered by the federal Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.

The only true extended factory warranty that I ever heard of was on the 04 and 05 Honda Runes. Honda had so many of them left for years in their warehouses that they offered a full 9 years of warranty for $500. Some dealers even reduced that to $400. It did not include any type of service just replacement of defective parts and was through Honda and not an insurance company.

H-D has zero to do with the conditions stated in any ESP. H-D only deals with their 24 month FACTORY warranty. Which in this case appears to be over on a 15 model year bike. However even H-D warranty clearly states the risk of denial of a claim with use of "performance" parts. It would not be a stretch at all for a turner to be a performance part because that is what it is.

It is the owner's responsibility to know what his warranty is and what changes may impact it. The same is true for the ESP. Elvis would call it TCB. Take care of business.

Just who was the inspector? Was it someone from the ESP or H-D?

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-16-2017 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CVORGU (07-23-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 07:07 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

If it was the H-D inspector they are under a consent decree from EPA not to do warranty work on a H-D with an aftermarket tuner EVEN IF IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FAILURE.

Lesson learned (or should have been learned) Do not use aftermarket tuners on a H-D while it is still in warranty unless you are prepared to pay the entertainment tax. By that I mean pay for it out of the wallet in your big boy pants.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:57 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 828 Posts

I always keep my stock air cleaner, ecm with 02 sensors and complete exhaust. It will only take a few hours to put everything back to stock.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:12 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,057 Likes on 21,545 Posts

Tell em to put it back to where it was and how it was and take it to a reputable indy and call it a day and tell em to shove it!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 AM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Was this the same dealership that sold you the extended warranty? Was this the same dealership that sold you the tuner?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,321 Likes on 8,411 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak
People have been saying that for years......but they keep on selling. Until a brand comes along and gives them a run for there money, they pretty much dictate to the market. Come on.....look at what they have done to customers all the problems that have been released to the market, with the beginning of the twin cams, cylinders, pistons, clutch problems, brake problems, compensator problems. Does Harley really test these things, or do they use their customers for beta testing?
I'm just as guilty as anyone, I own 2 Harleys now and have owned a few before that. Probably buy another one at some point. I would really like to think that Harley has their customers best interest in mind, but I really think its all about the dollars. Until we see something change in spending habits, or some competition comes along and takes market share....we will just see more of the same from them. Rant over!!
To the op with the ESP problem, been down the same rode with a 2010 Street Glide. Good luck, tell them what you expect, and stand your ground.
Don`t get in a laydown damage situation with your Harley. I had some lady pull a left turn in front of me a couple of years ago. I took my bike to two HD shops for an estimate which I paid for on my sig bike (nearly $200 for each estimate). They listed everything in the book in order to get the bike totaled, when in reality it could have been fixed reasonably for about $7 to $8K. I believe HD instructs its dealers to total every bike they can in order to push sales. I also had an extended service warranty, which took me 6 months of jumping through hoops in order to get my refund on the unused portion of it. As a result of the bike being totaled, had I kept it the bike would have had a salvage title and I would have owned one I had to finish making payments on. So, I got screwed on payments I had already made to the tune of over $4K, and all I got back on the payout difference was $1400. That pretty much tore it for me ever wanting another Harley. They are nothing but corporate thugs.....

Quick Reply: Dealer Calls me and says warranty is void