Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Primary oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Is it not in the owners manual? If you do not have one, go here. https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

It truly makes sense to do it with bike level (after all that is how most people ride down the road) and to the bottom of the diaphragm spring on the clutch. However, this is difficult to see and understand. Pretty sure on your bike, Harley just states amount. And that amount put's it a little higher then as in the past to give the compensator a little more splash and yet not bury the clutch too much. Just make sure you drain it out while the bike is level to make sure it is all out.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:46 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Plain Jane simple answer is put the bike level and fill the primary up to the bottom of the clutch basket. Don't worry about how many ounces it takes, just get it to where it needs to be.

The following users liked this post:
Nickatnyt (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Plain answer is most people work on their bike, when it is on the stand.

Unless there was some change to the new frame, I call BS to this. Why anyone would even think about it is beyond me.

Next time before you drain it, take the derby off, I think you will see nothing happens, when it is on the stand.

Again unless something has changed, this is just silly. I have 5 and 6 speed on old frame FLH, you can take derby off and chain inspect off, which is even lower on 5 speed.

Look how big the primary is. You think that little bit of fluid will that up to that point? Look how small the bottle is.

Unless I got a leak, I never look at level. I put in what the manual says.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-14-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Ohio HD Guy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2015 Service manual for my 15 CVO Road Glide Primary spec is 1.4 qts. or 38 ounces. Fill to the bottom of the clutch basket while the bike is up right. very simple

Old 06-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Zerk
Banned

Lot simpler not holding the bike up while you work.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
Plain Jane simple answer is put the bike level and fill the primary up to the bottom of the clutch basket. Don't worry about how many ounces it takes, just get it to where it needs to be.
Position 4 pieces of 2x4 just under the right side of the frame then push the bike from the left side and shove 4 more pieces of stacked 2x4s under the left side frame.

Bike is now 95% (give or take) level and more than stable enough to pull 3 plugs and change all 3 fluids.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Zerk
Banned

Except primary needs to be on side to fully drain, and engine. Transmission I like to upright to make sure I got it all.

Bunch of foolishness otherwise.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:03 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Received 2,229 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Except primary needs to be on side to fully drain, and engine. Transmission I like to upright to make sure I got it all.

Bunch of foolishness otherwise.
Does the manual say that the bike needs to be on the stand to drain the lubricant? If it says to upright the bike and then drain oil, and add an APPROX. 34 oz., you'll need to adjust your amount of lubricant based on how you drain your lubricant, as the results will vary - draining it on the stand may reduce the residual amount, therefore, leaving you adding less than needed. This is probably why they say the amount to add is APPROX., and to ensure the level is to the bottom of the clutch basket.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Zerk
Banned

It is a gear bath. I don't think you can tell 1 ounce plus or minus. But you are probably right the plug is low enough for the primary to get most of it out. I just prefer to lean something towards the plug. But probably doesn't matter much.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:36 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
It is a gear bath. I don't think you can tell 1 ounce plus or minus. But you are probably right the plug is low enough for the primary to get most of it out. I just prefer to lean something towards the plug. But probably doesn't matter much.
As I stated earlier, I agree. Where the primary drain plug is located, common sense tells me to have bike on side stand to drain the most fluid.

Quick Reply: Primary oil change