Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Thinking of buying a cvo

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 03:40 PM
Sid Gulbrandsen
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a cvo

I am thinking of buying a cvo, I fell in love with the 2018 gunship grey model. Unfortunately I won't be able to comfortably afford this bike until next year so that colour / model will probably be unavailable. I might wait until 2020 to buy just so I have more than half of the cash for a down payment. 2019 will be the 20th anniversary of the cvo so I might have to buy if they have something cool. I realize the price on these things are a little excessive. I am not made of money and a sg special would be much more affordable but i dont want to regret not getting the bigger motor, better stereo, ect. I currently have a 1200 sportster C that is awesome for booting around town and short rides. I also have a 1985 goldwing that I use to take my kids for rides. I just sold a hardtail chopper because of my back. I am looking for my forever bike that I can put some serous km's on. Anyone that owns cvo's have input worth thr price? or anyone that bought the st or sgs end up doing a bunch of upgrades and regret not getting the cvo.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:14 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 802 Likes on 527 Posts

I bought my first CVO just over a year ago. Before that I had 6 other Harley’s in 11 years. No regrets in buying it and I enjoy it. The one thing I did not expect was that I would be changing things to make it my own like I have in the past. One difference is that parts I have replaced I’ve been able to sell to recoup a large portion of what I spent. If I had it to do over, I would do it again.
Good luck

Old 03-25-2018, 04:25 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

It doesen't matter what a current owner thinks of the price,they paid it. Buy what you can afford.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Sid Gulbrandsen
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mofo67
I bought my first CVO just over a year ago. Before that I had 6 other Harley’s in 11 years. No regrets in buying it and I enjoy it. The one thing I did not expect was that I would be changing things to make it my own like I have in the past. One difference is that parts I have replaced I’ve been able to sell to recoup a large portion of what I spent. If I had it to do over, I would do it again.
Good luck
I'm definitely going to put 10" apes on it but that should be pretty cheap because the cables on the stock bars will reach 10". Besides that I am looking at a slim quick connect trunk "not paint matched" besides that I don' think I'll be changing anything but you never know until your on it.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:50 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I have a '13 CVO Ultra and I put WO 577's on ii (12.5's I believe).

I could/would have been satisfied with 578's (10.5's I believe) but I didn't want to make that huge investment then discover that I had short changed my self.

Be aware that you may have to have a clutch line made up ('least I did) and my 577's sit above the "break" of the fairing whereas the 578's will be about even with it.
Not a problem for me as I have always used hand wind deflectors and I have my bars pulled back to me as far as possible. I find this makes the bike much easier to maneuver in tight places.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:13 PM
kevin_n
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

I bought my 16 cvo sg in June of 16. Don't regret it and would buy another one in a heartbeat if I get tired of mine. Will be changing out the exhaust this spring and other then that bought custom dynamics ringz for the front turn signals. Love the bike and thinking about changing bars but not sure. If you can afford it get it. I went back and forth between the cvo and a special and decided that the changes I would make to the special was everything the cvo already had. Get what makes you happy.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,957 Likes on 2,351 Posts

If you can afford it and it fits in your budget, go for it. I do not feel you would regret it. I'm on my 6th CVO. All but one I only change Bars and mirrors. I also do a Fullsac head pipe, mufflers and a TTS tuner on each one. I'm lovign my 18 CVO RG, best one yet.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:10 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Had a '15SGS that I traded in on the CVO. Both bikes did the same thing, put a smile on my face. Having the CVO now for a yr, I woulda been just as content if I kept my '15 and the extra $$. The only real difference is I get compliments on the CVO daily.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:13 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

I loved the blackened look of the 2018 SGS so that's the direction I went in.

I then spent a ton in Stage 3, tuner, Smart Tune module, Hi Flo exhaust, Heavy Breather and 7 year warranty. With what I have in my bike I was only $7-8000 away from a stock CVO.

Probably would have then added the warranty to the CVO. I also thought I would have to add exhaust and tuner to the CVO which would be another $2000. I have just returned from Bike Week in Daytona and demoed at H-D at the Speedway a CVO 117 SG. WOW was I impressed with the torque and power STOCK. Had I ridden one before I bought my bike and realize I wouldn't have had to do a Stage 3, exhaust and tuner to get the power I wanted, I very well might have gone the CVO route initially.

Having said all this, I love my motorcycle and it is everything I wanted it to be (perhaps except a little more power) but wanting the warranty and going with all H-D performance parts I knew I'd be leaving some performance on the table.

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 03-25-2018 at 09:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
secular (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 05:45 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

HD did a nice job with the stock cam 117,best running stock bike I have owned.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a cvo