Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

Radio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 07:25 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Radio Issues

Anyone here having issues with their radio. MY 17 CVO Limited radio seems to have sound issues when riding at times. sound almost goes off then back on and off . Sitting still it seems to be fine. And its intermittent as well. Any idesas

Old 04-22-2019, 08:59 AM
jetspeed8
Tourer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you using your navigation system while listening to the radio? Every time the Nav gives you a command it interrupts the radio. If the volume is down low enough it will seem like the radio is cutting out when in fact it is the Nav giving you a notice. I learned that from experience.. Or your infotainment system may need an update.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:35 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by davidwruth
Anyone here having issues with their radio. MY 17 CVO Limited radio seems to have sound issues when riding at times. sound almost goes off then back on and off . Sitting still it seems to be fine. And its intermittent as well. Any idesas
Just went through what may be the same thing with my 2018 CVO Limited. On my bike it slowly got worse until finally anytime I went over about 30 mph the sound coming out of the speakers would simply quit no matter what source I chose. Then the next time I stopped (like at a red light) the sound would come back on. If I hooked up the blue tooth head phone then the sound worked perfectly all the time.
The dealer I bought the bike from diddled around with my bike starting from last August until last week but was unable to figure it out. Finally they actually said they could not help me and that I needed to take my bike elsewhere. When I threatened to get a lawyer involved they actually kicked me off the property!
Thankfully that was the best thing they ever did for me. I took my bike to another dealer and in 1 day they had trouble shot the problem and had gotten permission from HD to replace my radio. The actual cause in my case was a faulty SVC (Speed Volume Control) the thing that makes the stereo louder when you go faster. Instead of making the volume louder it was killing the volume. When using the Bluetooth headphones this feature is automatically turned off so the sound always worked when using the head phones.
So try turning off your SVC. If that doesn't work try disconnecting the vehicle speed sensor. Let me know if this does the trick...

Old 04-22-2019, 08:11 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Just went through what may be the same thing with my 2018 CVO Limited. On my bike it slowly got worse until finally anytime I went over about 30 mph the sound coming out of the speakers would simply quit no matter what source I chose. Then the next time I stopped (like at a red light) the sound would come back on. If I hooked up the blue tooth head phone then the sound worked perfectly all the time.
The dealer I bought the bike from diddled around with my bike starting from last August until last week but was unable to figure it out. Finally they actually said they could not help me and that I needed to take my bike elsewhere. When I threatened to get a lawyer involved they actually kicked me off the property!
Thankfully that was the best thing they ever did for me. I took my bike to another dealer and in 1 day they had trouble shot the problem and had gotten permission from HD to replace my radio. The actual cause in my case was a faulty SVC (Speed Volume Control) the thing that makes the stereo louder when you go faster. Instead of making the volume louder it was killing the volume. When using the Bluetooth headphones this feature is automatically turned off so the sound always worked when using the head phones.
So try turning off your SVC. If that doesn't work try disconnecting the vehicle speed sensor. Let me know if this does the trick...
Sounds like a plan. ill give that a try when i get back home

Old 04-23-2019, 12:28 PM
ColdRain
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Another thing to check is your CB, If turned on it will cut out when you send or receive coms. I have heard the issue with the SVC.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

I am also having an issue with my 2018 radio. I will get a lot of static on radio/sirrius and the sound may eventually stop completely. When I stop and restart bike, everything will be fine. I know for a fact that it is not the cb, navigation, or intercom interrupting the sound. I also cut off the the speed volume control and this did not correct issue. I hate an intermittent problem.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:42 AM
ColdRain
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Is there a performance issue as well when the radio cuts out? Will the motor bog down some? My 10 when the battery post was bad connection radio would cut out, bike would bog some then come back to life. Found the terminal melted and replaced the battery. Odd thing was it would start no problem every time so I didn't suspect the battery.

Old 05-01-2019, 03:05 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

My money is on the navigation prompts - mine was doing the same thing when I got it. Drove me nuts - and every time I shut off the prompts it would come back on within a week or two. I think they fixed that bug in a flash since then but it was annoying.

My SXM module cuts out sometimes. Just gets static-y for a minute or so and then cuts out. I can listen to FM or BT Audion but SXM is gone. Usually comes back after a restart, but sometimes it won't come back until the next day.

Three of my four original speakers have blown and had to be replaced.

I love the bike. I tolerate the infotainment system, which is a shame considering how much these damn things cost.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:46 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

Seems to have been the speed volume. I didnt turn it off just down a few notches. Seemed to make a difference yesterday. Did not get to ride a lot so i will see but better so far

Old 05-12-2019, 03:03 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

Had a chance to ride bike again before i left and it was back. None of the other suggestions btw seem to be viable since i dont use navigation or the others. When it is acting up it is constantly bad not just on and off like it wpould be if it were being washed out by a prompt. Problem is i was riding and was planning on hitting a dealer while i was out that i was near and the problem stopped occurring so i didn't ask them figuring they would say they needed to see it happen. So the saga continues. Still open to ideas.

Quick Reply: Radio Issues