Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Reliability of a 1970 Shovelhead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:37 PM
CZshooter
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Reliability of a 1970 Shovelhead?

I'm looking at buying a 1970 Electra Glide, provided I can buy it right.

From what pics I've seen of it, it has 15,000 miles, and is in pretty rough condition cosmetically. Its been in storage for a long time, unridden, seat falling apart, wheels are rusted/pitted, etc. No idea on engine, fuel tank, etc. New tires & brakes, go over wheel bearings, etc, are a given.

I'm thinking of buying it as a winter project, with the goal of making it look decent, but not a "show quality" bike. Strip it down, repaint frame, tank, fenders. also figuring on tearing the engine down, and replace all the gaskets and seals at a minimum. It will be a semi-daily driver- -I need reliability over looks.

I'm a decent mechanic, and can rewire it if necessary. Not afraid to spend money on a new carb, and an electronic ignition, or spend my winter evenings in the garage.

What are the weak points of a 45 year old shovel? If I go over it, will it give me decent reliability? Or are these machines maintenance hogs?

Or would I be better off saving up for another year and buying an evo?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Don't take this wrong...But those kinds of "projects" are usually best for folks who have already had older equipment, and more than one of 'em...
I'm betting a Dyna TwinCam is the best "bang for the buck" in todays' market...
Check Prices, and Replacement parts costs, and Make yer Decision..
Labor??? That will be ongoing...
Gonna take a "special" kind of individual to make an old, neglected Shovelhead a "Daily Driver"

Old 10-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by CZshooter
I'm looking at buying a 1970 Electra Glide, provided I can buy it right.

From what pics I've seen of it, it has 15,000 miles, and is in pretty rough condition cosmetically. Its been in storage for a long time, unridden, seat falling apart, wheels are rusted/pitted, etc. No idea on engine, fuel tank, etc. New tires & brakes, go over wheel bearings, etc, are a given.

I'm thinking of buying it as a winter project, with the goal of making it look decent, but not a "show quality" bike. Strip it down, repaint frame, tank, fenders. also figuring on tearing the engine down, and replace all the gaskets and seals at a minimum. It will be a semi-daily driver- -I need reliability over looks.

I'm a decent mechanic, and can rewire it if necessary. Not afraid to spend money on a new carb, and an electronic ignition, or spend my winter evenings in the garage.

What are the weak points of a 45 year old shovel? If I go over it, will it give me decent reliability? Or are these machines maintenance hogs?

Or would I be better off saving up for another year and buying an evo?
I need reliability over looks ... The "Pres" has given some good advice to you. Shovels are cool, fun and in need of regular maintenance.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:02 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

it is not what you might think - being a very handy guy around tools and have the tooling for an old shovel is two different things - i would love another one like that but i do this every day and have the necessary tooling

you will not be able to just do a freshen up if its in that condition - its been road hard and left unattended

if you do go for it post up pictures and the guys have lots of hands on experience with those older girls

Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

And...That "15,000 miles"
Buy the "bike"...Not the "Story"
I have an FLH speedometer with only 8,000 miles on it...O.E. Too!!!!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:16 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an evo and a shovel too, I am grateful for that. I will say that the evo has always been ready to go. For the past 7 years, it has been oil and tires and gas. I don't think, generally, that you can go wrong with a good evo for a bike to ride most anytime, for reasonable money.
But, some pics of the EG would be fun to see.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Last year I picked up a 40-year old FXE that had been sitting (inside and out) for about 30 years. Had just over 10k on the speedo. Replaced tires, hoses, top end gaskets, rebuilt carb, front/rear master cylinders and brake components. Bored cylinder ten over, added new valves (added seals), pistons and rings. Only wiring upgrades were replacing corroded fuses and adding 25 amp off the battery. Only other non OEM part is the front brake line.

May not be the prettiest bike out there, but it is as close to original as I can get it at this point..and it can only be "original" once.

Just a thought before you go painting and what not. Sometimes the value is not in restoration, but in keeping it as close to original as possible.

And, if you get the chance, if you go through with the purchase, please post up some pics.

Last edited by panz4ever; 10-06-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever

Just a thought before you go painting and what not. Sometimes the value is not in restoration, but in keeping it as close to original as possible.
Absolutely Gospel...Friend found a '66...was told by many folks who Know...Leave it "as-is" rust and all....
Originally Posted by panz4ever
And, if you get the chance, if you go through with the purchase, please post up some pics.
Plus 1...let's get a Look-See!!!!

Old 10-07-2015, 09:07 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,151 Likes on 1,510 Posts

If it's any consolation....going on 3+ years, and mine is nearly a daily driver. New England that is...so not year round, but very daily in Summer, and semi daily in Spring/Fall. With a rare run in the winter...if I keep her heated to start.

I'm not an experienced Shovel mechanic, I have a couple of buds that are, and there is tremendous help on these forums.

My ride has been good to me. Who knows the mileage. Got her in rough shape..cosmetically. Tranny leaks, heads leaked bad when I bought her. Shortly after getting her we tore the heads off and redid those gaskets..and rocker box gaskets. Cleaned up the engine. Sealed the primary. Replaced tranny output shaft seal but screwed that up cuz she leaks more than before back there. This winter will re-do that.

I've gone through a few starter solenoids.
Rebuilt the starter
Put a chrome front end on (versus the stock brushed one)...did a trade with a bud who wanted brushed and had the chrome one.
Had the rear brake lock up on my on the highway...so redid that.

Otherwise...she's been good to me. Gets me home. Has little things wrong with it, but nothing major...and she keeps getting better as I get to things. Engine starts right away, runs strong. And puts a smile on my face when I hear it. I honestly don't spend a lot of time tinkering with it....just to keep it running. I spend time on it improving it...esp in the winter...but that was the plan....pick up an old rough one, and slowly groom her into shape.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

^^ Now that it is semi reliable...would you take 4K for it???
I ask because that is what Dynas bring around here [if ya shop, even less].
I guess it all boils down to what ya want...a Winter Beater, or a Collectable soon to be Beater...

Twinkies are Disposable, Evos are Desirable, Shovels [on down] are collectable...

But...You know about opinions Right?

Quick Reply: Reliability of a 1970 Shovelhead?