Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

79 FLH80 Starter Spinning

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 79 FLH80 Starter Spinning

Wiring on the bike is working. When I hit the starter button, the starter just spins with a whirling noise. I pulled the primary cover. The bendix gear looks ok. The PO actually gave me a new one with some extra parts and I swapped it in. Same result. There are 3 washers at the end of the starter shaft. When the shaft is at rest, should it turn? I'm wondering if it is the shaft/or wrong shaft.
Thanks

Old 11-29-2016, 01:39 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Generally there is only one copper type washer on the end of the starter shaft. Purpose of the washer is to ensure alignment of the bendix gear when it engages with the ring gear on the clutch hub.

Maybe one too many washers?.....or you have a bad Bendix gear. It should only spin one way. If you can spin it both ways it needs replacing. A defective bend gear will cause your starter to spin.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

Thanks panz. I tried a new Bendix gear and its doing the same thing. The new bendix gear only moves in one direction when holding it in my hand.

With the primary cover off, the solenoid throws the Bendix gear out when the start button is pressed and it engages the clutch ring gear perfectly. Once it does that, the starter spins.

I pulled the starter shaft out and removed the Bendix gear. I then placed the shaft in the starter shaft gear to make sure it was sitting in there correctly which it is. Not sure if it should turn freely...

I am able to move the clutch ring with the kick starter so I know it is free. I'm totally stumped why this isn't working and would hate to spend the $ on a new starter without being sure.

Last edited by Nick Sorgio; 11-29-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Sorgio

I am able to move the clutch ring with the kick starter so I know it is free. I'm totally stumped why this isn't working and would hate to spend the $ on a new starter without being sure.
Hmmm
The kicker system has about nothing to do with the E-start system...but.
How hard does it kick over??
If you grab the Ring gear on the clutch hub, and turn it by Hand...what moves?

On these Situations I use a Cut-out Primary cover that lets me "see" what is Happening!!
Three washers is too many...two may be...there is Precious little engagement anyway at the ring gear..
Try one. only
The Washer [should be Bronze] is a Thrust face for the Bendix, and also sets gear engagement..

Old 11-29-2016, 08:57 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

The kicker is next on my list. It doesn't engage very high - sloppy is probably the best way to describe it. I just used it to make sure the clutch was free. I'm able to turn the clutch hub with my hands.

When the solenoid engages and the shift throws the bendix gear out, it immediately engages the clutch ring..

Old 11-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Sorgio
The kicker is next on my list. It doesn't engage very high - sloppy is probably the best way to describe it. I just used it to make sure the clutch was free. I'm able to turn the clutch hub with my hands.

When the solenoid engages and the shift throws the bendix gear out, it immediately engages the clutch ring..
Then what happens?
Leave the Derby cover off to ensure what might be happening...

Old 11-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

I have the derby cover off. When the bendix gear engages, it sits in the clutch ring and the starter spins. The last time I watched, I didn't pay attention to what the starter shaft was doing. I'll do that tonight.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

This sounds stupid, but just another thought. If the shaft turns, is it possible that someone assembled the starter unit without the starter shaft gear that sits in the starter shaft housing?

That gear also has gearing on the inside that aligns with the gearing on the end of the armature for the starter motor.

And seriously consider having your starter motor rebuilt (if you find it necessary). Lot cheaper to replace an armature and some brushes than it is to replace it with a complete TawainTed part.

The following users liked this post:
Nick Sorgio (12-02-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

Not stupid at all. I was thinking something similar. Here is a picture of the starter shaft gear and the shaft . Is the starter shaft gear supposed to be in a fixed position because I was able to get it to move by poking it with a screwdriver?

Old 11-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

When one of my sons came home from school, I did a quick test. With the starter shaft removed, I had my son hit the starter button while I watched the starter where the shaft goes in. I didn't see any movement but heard the same spinning sound. It probably makes sense to pull the starter and see if I need a new starter or maybe just a rebuild of the starter shaft, etc in that housing. There would be nothing else spinning, correct?

Last edited by Nick Sorgio; 11-29-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 79 FLH80 Starter Spinning