Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Got me a shovel

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:05 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,462 Likes on 1,409 Posts

I got the last of the shiny bits back today:

First the fork lowers which have been polished. I should have new seals, clips and dust boots for these tomorrow then I can rebuild the forks.

What weight fork oil would anyone recommend? I am reusing the OEM springs for now.

And next, some parts of the triple trees back from chrome plating. The lower tree with the fork stem was in good condition already. It's just off at a local engineering shop having the lower stem bearing pressed on. Once that's done, I can crack on with the front end....

Old 06-22-2017, 08:43 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 3,350 Posts

I like to use 15 weight... A little firmer.....

Old 06-22-2017, 08:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,023 Likes on 17,513 Posts

Nice looking very good, that attention to detail will really stand out when done.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,525 Likes on 4,149 Posts

You're well on your way to a super nice FXWG. I'm drooling...thanks.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Off in a different direction today.....I started wiring up the bars. I want a really clean looking front end, so decided to use internal wiring for all the electrical. I am also using Motogadget bar end turn signals and their "m-Button" unit to reduce the amount of wiring. The m-Button sits inside the bars and takes the input from all of the handlebar switches (apart from the kill switch) and then converts it to a bus signal that communicates with the m-Unit "brain" under the seat by a single wire.

Here's the m-Button - it's about an inch long.

So first up, drilling the bars. A drill jig makes this easy - although a sharper drill bit would have helped. Then I enlarged the holes with a cone bit and deburred them well.

Then I had to enlarge the central hole with a Dremel tool so that I could slide the m-Button in and out. Then I ran the wires for the power for the bar end indicators

Next up is pulling the m-Button wires up and out of the holes in the bars at the switch blocks. They are long enough to allow easy soldering to the switches.

One that's done, I should have a very tidy wiring loom coming out of the bars - it will have power for L and R turn signals, a wire for the kill switch, a ground and finally a single wire to go to the m-Unit. 5 wires total. I will terminate these in an AMP Superseal connector under the tank.

Then off in an another direction.....I fitted an LBV chain tensioner.

I still need to trim the threaded rod coming out of it....

Old 06-30-2017, 05:00 AM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Off in a different direction today.....I started wiring up the bars. I want a really clean looking front end, so decided to use internal wiring for all the electrical. I am also using Motogadget bar end turn signals and their "m-Button" unit to reduce the amount of wiring. The m-Button sits inside the bars and takes the input from all of the handlebar switches (apart from the kill switch) and then converts it to a bus signal that communicates with the m-Unit "brain" under the seat by a single wire.

Here's the m-Button - it's about an inch long.

So first up, drilling the bars. A drill jig makes this easy - although a sharper drill bit would have helped. Then I enlarged the holes with a cone bit and deburred them well.

Then I had to enlarge the central hole with a Dremel tool so that I could slide the m-Button in and out. Then I ran the wires for the power for the bar end indicators

Next up is pulling the m-Button wires up and out of the holes in the bars at the switch blocks. They are long enough to allow easy soldering to the switches.

One that's done, I should have a very tidy wiring loom coming out of the bars - it will have power for L and R turn signals, a wire for the kill switch, a ground and finally a single wire to go to the m-Unit. 5 wires total. I will terminate these in an AMP Superseal connector under the tank.

Then off in an another direction.....I fitted an LBV chain tensioner.

I still need to trim the threaded rod coming out of it....
Nice work....going to have a nice piece

Old 06-30-2017, 08:55 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,241 Likes on 1,817 Posts

That there...that there is coming out real nice

(I'll also save the viewers from seeing the same exact multiple picture post on the same page when "Quoting" just to say...
"That there...that there is coming real nice " )

Old 07-01-2017, 10:36 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 3,350 Posts

Hay Adm, lookin real nice... Can you tell me who the manufacturer of the chain tensioner is and if they make them for a softail Evo as well. Thanx Man.....

Old 07-01-2017, 12:30 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

THe chain tensioner is from LBV Engineering - nice people to deal with:

http://lbvengchaintensioners.com

Old 07-01-2017, 08:53 PM
ihv800
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You're doing some fantastic work! Please continue to document how you do all the wiring and how it works out.

Quick Reply: Got me a shovel