Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Questions on 93" S&S big bore engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:24 AM
Scooten75shovel
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on 93" S&S big bore engine

Hello Hello Hello~~~

I'm new to the "ShoveHead" world! I was finally able to acquire my 75 ShovelHead close to a year ago. I have done a lot of research and have learned a lot about Shovelheads! Wowww
I was supposed to get a build sheet on the engine but yeaaa that didn't happen! Along with alot of other things I found either wasn't true or done right. I was only able to ride about mmm maybe a dozen times before I had to start tearing it down to fix things the right way!
I have a complete S&S engine "Big Bore Sidewinder" and after emailing S&S the crank case #s I was informed that the bottom end is 93"~3 5/8"~4 1/2 stroke and since I didn't have piston prt#s that's all they could tell me. Since it smoked oil pretty bad on rear cylinder I decided to dig into it. Also the seat post bar was not moved back far enough and rear rocker was not just hitting but resting on seat post. I took care of that by cutting out post and installing a piece of bent DOM pipe~ have lots clearence now.
I found in the inspection of the rear cylinder that there is several gouges and that I am going to have to bore it out. The front jug has some gouges but could be honed. And the front has a lot of oil on the head too. Possibly rings????
So here's my questions~~~

My bottom end is a 93"~~pistons are .020 (single plug heads) what do I have?

How far can I bore my jugs with out running into problems? Keep in mind I'd like to ride this long distance and not building a drag bike so I'd like not to have to wrench on it along side the road!! 😎

And if I have to replace my jugs what aptions are there without changing my stroke and besides S&S who else makes kits?

Do I have to machine my heads if I go bigger jugs? (I'm thinking about buying dual plug heads~ any recommendations on where to buy them?)

(I am also going to do the evo rocker arm, push rod, lifter, and cam conversion too.)

Ty ShovelHead Gods for any and all info!!
"75shovelhead"

Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

if the whole motor is an S&S 93" shovel, doesn't it already have the EVO style rockers, pushrods, etc?

Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,921 Likes on 17,475 Posts

S&S has 3 different configurations for the 93" motors depending on the age. SH93S & SH93H or standard and high performance, yours has single plugs heads chances are it's the standard. Differences between them were compression ratios and cam lift mostly.

The heads you can have dual plugged easily no need to drop big bucks buying new ones. It should have the upgraded evo style rockers and cam in in it if it's a complete motor and not a sidewinder kit.