Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

79 FLH-80 Turn Signal Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:35 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 79 FLH-80 Turn Signal Wiring Questions

My FLH came to me stripped of the turn signals and front light bar. I re-wired the bike with a new harness and just picked up a spot light/turn signal bar for the front and turn-signal bar for the rear to bring it back to stock appearance.

The lighting has connectors that my replacement harness doesn't seem to have. I don't want to hard wire the lights in. Am I missing something or are there connectors available?

Thanks
Nick

Last edited by Nick Sorgio; 04-23-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:53 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

This is how I did it fot a friend's 75 FLH....You need a toggle switch for the passing lamps. It needs to have 2 posts at the top of the switch. One side of the post connects the two wires from your passing lamp. The other goes to your low beam. 75 models had the low beam on continuously. With the toggle switch the passing lamps will not come on until you move the toggle switch up (on). And when you go to your high beam, it automatically turns your passing lamps off (because the passing lamps are wired in with your low beam).

The wiring diagram for your 79 shows a different connection procedure however. It shows the passing lamp wires go to the #9 position on your terminal block. From there a wire goes to the passing lamp switch. The other wire off the switch goes to #3 position on the terminal block.

Last edited by panz4ever; 04-23-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Spy11
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Excellent explanation!

Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

pans is correct about the light on with low beam but we are not in calif so I use an ignition on to hot the toggle and they work hi / low or even with out HL on

Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

Thanks guys. I have the toggle switches so just need to verify the wiring as described in the manual. What I don't see are any familiar connectors. This is a pic of the front connector:

Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry Nick but I do not recognize that connector at all. That appears to be a pin type connector though.

How many wires come out of it and where/what do they connect to?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

Purple, black, and blue wires from each side make up the 6 pin female connector. The gray/black wire from each side connect to a 2 pin female connector.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:34 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Herz my thoughts...

To the best of my knowledge and after looking at wiring diagrams, the PIN connectors were primarily used on FX models; FLH models used a PIN connection of the rear instead of a terminal block behing the coil. From the factory FLH models used a terminal block that was mounted on the upper right part of the triple trees and used flag connectors. Circuity breakers were mounted under the dash plate. Things like emergency flashers and turn signal flashers were in the nacelle.

Have you decoded your VIN? Is it/did it begin its life as an FLH.

You mentioned you added a new wiring harness. Is that picture of the PIN terminal part of the new harness? If so I am thinking that the harness was intended for an FX series and not an FLH series.

That wiring seems more consistent with FX models

Last edited by panz4ever; 04-26-2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:06 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

Panz,
The bike is definitely an FLH and I've gotten pretty familiar with the wiring block at the trees since I replaced the harness.

What I don't know is the history of the lights I bought from a guy on CL. The guy said they came off an FLH. For all I know, the connectors I've shown could have been added afterwards.

I guess my question is what is the stock way to connect them on the FLH? If it's to wire them to the block in front than that's pretty straight forward.
Thanks
Nick

Old 04-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

I decided to cut off the connectors and wire the rear light and turn signals into the harness I got with the new kit. It worked perfectly.

Do the turn signals on this bike stay on all the time as running lights?

Thanks
Nick

Quick Reply: 79 FLH-80 Turn Signal Wiring Questions