Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Ok... what's the trick... pushrod tube keeper

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 12:30 PM
mikeyhd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok... what's the trick... pushrod tube keeper

I am just shy of 3 more brain cells before I totally lose it. Can't get that friggin keeper to pop on after compressing the spring sleeve. I've tried the ole screwdriver as a wedge trick but came within a fraction of losing an eye so I'm looking for an old timer to stop laughing and help me.

I initially installed upgraded silicone washer/seals but went back to o-ring to try and get some more room. And I still can't get the spring compressed enough to slide the keeper on.

Thanks, Mike

Old 05-28-2017, 12:45 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Sometimes the spring collar is tight and wedges sideways on you a bit as you compress it, it's just a wrestling match with a second screw driver to get the back side of the cup the go down a hair more. Or you hit up amazon and buy the tool for it.

Old 05-28-2017, 01:46 PM
BinaryBond007
Stage IV

Originally Posted by mikeyhd
I've tried the ole screwdriver as a wedge trick but came within a fraction of losing an eye so I'm looking for an old timer to stop laughing and help me.
I'm not an old timer, but I do have this tool :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192164624087

Thats my trick

Attached Thumbnails Ok... what's the trick... pushrod tube keeper-s-l300-1.jpg  
Old 05-28-2017, 01:55 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

I have the tool noted above, half the time I just use a flat blade screwdriver or drum brake adjusting tool.

Make sure the top part of the tube is all the way up & into the O-ring.... sometimes they can be stiff & fool you.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-28-2017, 05:18 PM
mikeyhd
Advanced

There's a tool???? I love tools!!! Thanks for the replies, ordered the tool from amazonia.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:09 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Only problem with the tool is when it pushes the bottom tube down it tends to want to take the top tube with it. The tighter your top O-rings are the better it works.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Old 07-17-2017, 06:17 PM
mikeyhd
Advanced

Well I'm late at answering, but.....

All the covers/springs/oil seals are new. I had originally installed everything with those fancy pants silicon squared seals. There was no way in hell I could compress that keeper enough to get the covers to pop in. I went back to the orings that came with the covers, and using that motion pro tool (which imo bends way too easy) I still had to put the covers on my belt sander to take a few thous off to get them to pop in. But I finally got it all together and started breaking in my fresh motor. No leaks whatsover..... I'm a happy camper again. Forgot to add, I shaved the bottom arm and back of the circle just a bit so I could pop the covers in easier. Worked great.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Find one of these not the pliers looking gizmo.

Attached Thumbnails Ok... what's the trick... pushrod tube keeper-100_0789.jpg  
Old 07-18-2017, 04:53 PM
mikeyhd_81shovel
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made one myself out of sch 40 pvc....... almost lost my good eye using that one....... and a 3/8" thick aluminum bar that got modified. The motion pro tool worked but only after i convinced myself that the specs on my new covers were too "tall" and I let the belt sander do it's magic.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep the rubber side down!!

Old 07-18-2017, 05:42 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Hopefully you didn't forget any old orings when installing the new,small flat screw driver usually works fine.

Quick Reply: Ok... what's the trick... pushrod tube keeper