Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

82 wide glide bobber build

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 11:36 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,242 Likes on 1,492 Posts

hellonewman, the top pic is used for rigid frames and requires a backing plate that is not compatible for swingarm bikes. You need a 67-72 drum and backing plate that uses the mid-star hub. Also rear swing arms changed thru the years. Need to look at a parts manual for sure but I think you may have to change that out as well if you go to the drum brake.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:18 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,803 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
hellonewman, the top pic is used for rigid frames and requires a backing plate that is not compatible for swingarm bikes. You need a 67-72 drum and backing plate that uses the mid-star hub. Also rear swing arms changed thru the years. Need to look at a parts manual for sure but I think you may have to change that out as well if you go to the drum brake.
The swing arm is different for sure, guess Im back to searching and you guys are helping a lot! Thank you to all of you.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:25 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,242 Likes on 1,492 Posts

So something to check on....mid-star parts are not that all common. Wondering if you could use a 58-66 swing arm and pivot bolt. Need to check and see if the races are the same and the thread for the pivot bolt matches. Not sure what else might be different?

If you can use the early style, then you can use the regular star hub. They are a lot more commonplace and actually very easy to rebuild.

The earlier swingarm drum and backing plates are more common as well and probably cheaper

Old 12-29-2017, 08:56 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,575 Likes on 2,896 Posts

I have a 67 in the shop it has all the pieces you will be looking for I can picture them up if needed so you know what they look like - wheels with mid star - swingarm - brake drum and backing plate - axle and sundries

Old 12-30-2017, 02:06 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
I have a 67 in the shop it has all the pieces you will be looking for I can picture them up if needed so you know what they look like - wheels with mid star - swingarm - brake drum and backing plate - axle and sundries

YES! Please do!

Thank you, I owe you more JD

Old 12-30-2017, 02:07 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
So something to check on....mid-star parts are not that all common. Wondering if you could use a 58-66 swing arm and pivot bolt. Need to check and see if the races are the same and the thread for the pivot bolt matches. Not sure what else might be different?

If you can use the early style, then you can use the regular star hub. They are a lot more commonplace and actually very easy to rebuild.

The earlier swingarm drum and backing plates are more common as well and probably cheaper
Steep learning curve going on here, my experience is limited to twinkies. Thank you.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:24 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,575 Likes on 2,896 Posts

don't have the wheels in the shop they are being cleaned by owner - the line can be run with out the original pieces but the rear frame connect would have to be added to yours if your duping the oem style - also picture of a switch like you might already have under the right side

Attached Thumbnails 82 wide glide bobber build-image4_jpeg.jpg   82 wide glide bobber build-image5_jpeg.jpg   82 wide glide bobber build-image1_jpegljhpiui.jpg   82 wide glide bobber build-image2_jpeglkjn.jpg  
Old 12-31-2017, 01:32 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Those parts look like the stuff I've been finding on ebay. Thanks for the pics, Ill see what I can round up.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:38 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Picked up more parts, a mid star hub and the drum with a bolt / pin combo, both original parts. I've found OEM backing plates, just waiting for something clean to pop up. The drum I found is super nice so Im happy. Ill get my original rim re-chromed and use new spokes. Ill get the hub and drum powder coated black and a backing plate when I locate one. Are those black parts originally semi-gloss or satin? Hard to tell on my original rear hub after 36 years, it can make semi-gloss look satin over time.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:36 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Got a chance to take more parts off after work.

The odd-ball clutch stud spacing was an irritating surprise but I got by. Coming from a car background and zero experience on an older bike I can say I like the primary chain tensioner and how substantial the friction discs are. Everything seems heavy duty and grease nipples everywhere.

My mid star rear hub arrived as well. My drum will be in my hand tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 82 wide glide bobber build