Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Showa Forks, No Damper Spring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 11:52 AM
Chris Sigo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Showa Forks, No Damper Spring?

Hi all, I'm rebuilding the forks on a '75 FXE I picked up with 4" over tubes already in it. I noticed there weren't any damper springs on the damper tube, which has been on every other harley front end I've had, though they were all newer. I pulled the internals out of another 35mm front end I have and there were no damper springs on that either, but the manual seems to show them.

There is considerable up and down play in the assembly, even with 4" spacers sitting on top of the springs. I would say with the caps on there is still a couple inches between them and the top of the spacer.

So, can anyone tell me if these front ends are supposed to have a spring on the damper tube/rod?

Also, what is the best way to take up the remaining space in these 35mm front ends? Longer springs or cut a longer spacer, enough to get appropriate tension? Or both? Thanks much.

For reference, this was all that was in the tubes.

Showa Forks, No Damper Spring?-dselshql.jpg

Old 03-02-2018, 12:16 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

your picture has no ruler next to the pieces so its almost impossible to see what you see

from your picture I see an 8 inch over tube next to a 4 inch over spring extension next to a stock length tube maybe and in the mix a longer then stock anulator / and spring

a 36 inch wooden rule laying flat next to that stuff would be a big help in seeing what your seeing

Old 03-03-2018, 06:04 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I'm not an authority, but every damper rod fork I ever rebuilt had a top out spring on the damper rod. I don't see one in that picture.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:33 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I'm not an authority, but every damper rod fork I ever rebuilt had a top out spring on the damper rod. I don't see one in that picture.
And... I have never found one in a Kayaba nor early Showa Front end... from the MoCo
Something I have not seen in fact until about '84 or so...
In fact the early Showa Big Glide front end don't got 'em either...
The Parts Fiche is Not a true reference to Parts from old Equipment... if ya look it contains common parts from many [almost the same] year models.

An Original Parts Manual will show you what you are looking at...

BTW PVC Spacers will get where ya need to be... ie, quite a Bit of Preload Pressure on the Springs..
One Spacer... Not 2 or 3.... Just in case it comes up..
Also rebound springs are OK to add... I do it all the time... In fact.. that's how I lower a Front end... Don't "buy" nuthin.... COB

Last edited by Racepres; 03-03-2018 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:06 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
And... I have never found one in a Kayaba nor early Showa Front end... from the MoCo
Something I have not seen in fact until about '84 or so...
In fact the early Showa Big Glide front end don't got 'em either...
The Parts Fiche is Not a true reference to Parts from old Equipment... if ya look it contains common parts from many [almost the same] year models.

An Original Parts Manual will show you what you are looking at...

BTW PVC Spacers will get where ya need to be... ie, quite a Bit of Preload Pressure on the Springs..
One Spacer... Not 2 or 3.... Just in case it comes up..
Also rebound springs are OK to add... I do it all the time... In fact.. that's how I lower a Front end... Don't "buy" nuthin.... COB
One thing I like about you Racepres is that you ma make me do my homework...... I did look it up in my FSM and yes the FX models did not have a damper spring (odd) Only the FL's did.. thanks buddy....

Old 03-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
One thing I like about you Racepres is that you ma make me do my homework...... I did look it up in my FSM and yes the FX models did not have a damper spring (odd) Only the FL's did.. thanks buddy....

I agree, there are a few around here that have taught me some good stuff.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:00 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

Thought these might help

Old 03-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

^^^ Only problem is... as I said... The Fiche is different, as it shows Only... [Only,] the latest version... Not always what ya Find inside your Version...
Don't worry over it.. If ya want a Rebound spring... put one in... The MoCo did... Later On!!!!
I have a Couple without... I do Not feel Slighted at all....
Now... For the Spacers needed for longer Tubes.... Just cut some PVC to space the Springs such that the Spacers are jst a Bit longer than flush with the top of the tube... and Stuff 'er Up!!!! It should be a Bit of a Chore to Cap the Tube...[Pre-Load]

Last edited by Racepres; 03-03-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:46 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

correct what we find in un open forks years back was no small spring - what Harley added is in later publications of parts books, sometimes you can see when a part starts in production by the last 2 numbers as that is the first year the part was made

Old 03-04-2018, 07:04 AM
scooper321
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
^^^ Only problem is... as I said... The Fiche is different, as it shows Only... [Only,] the latest version... Not always what ya Find inside your Version...
Truer words have never been spoken. Especially when you aren't the original owner!

Now... For the Spacers needed for longer Tubes.... Just cut some PVC to space the Springs such that the Spacers are jst a Bit longer than flush with the top of the tube... and Stuff 'er Up!!!! It should be a Bit of a Chore to Cap the Tube...[Pre-Load]
I just replaced the springs on my 80 FXS with the Progressive ones. They came with a spacer like that and it was basically PVC. The stack up of the spacer and spring (with a washer in between) did stick up a little above the top of the tube. Interestingly, the original springs didn't have this much preload. The Progressives may have an inch or so more. There may be some "tuning" of that spacer once I get it back on the road.

Quick Reply: Showa Forks, No Damper Spring?