Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 06:49 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,623 Likes on 2,915 Posts

a number of reasons and then some can be fixed by just driving it for an hour and purging the system

try not to fix things that are not broken - in time what really brakes will be enough of a headache

oil pump check ball seat and ball are not sealing

the return oiling system for the primary has carried metal chips from the sprockets and chain into the breather valve pocket and then - scoring the engine cases < You Asked

same stuff was then send into the oil pump return gearing and now that's been damaged and possibly scored the alloy oil pump body

drive it stop asking questions about a shovel that has not seen the open highway in for ever and has been started and stopped 20 times past couple months with out letting it purge its self on the open road for an hour < did I say an hours drive might help hope so

Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
a number of reasons and then some can be fixed by just driving it for an hour and purging the system

try not to fix things that are not broken - in time what really brakes will be enough of a headache

oil pump check ball seat and ball are not sealing

the return oiling system for the primary has carried metal chips from the sprockets and chain into the breather valve pocket and then - scoring the engine cases < You Asked

same stuff was then send into the oil pump return gearing and now that's been damaged and possibly scored the alloy oil pump body

drive it stop asking questions about a shovel that has not seen the open highway in for ever and has been started and stopped 20 times past couple months with out letting it purge its self on the open road for an hour < did I say an hours drive might help hope so
Thanks John...yes it has been a few months since I rode it at freeway speeds..

Wasn't fixing anything but was just checking if the oil return was functioning properly...but then had oil puking out of the breather for no apparent reason....and was wondering why that occurred.

Everything is back in place and will hit the freeway and take a ride to the dealership when the weather clears up...which is about an hour round trip all freeway. Just hope it doesn't puke when I start her up.

Update: I took off my catch can and started the bike to clear the system....now I only feel air being push out of the hose.

Last edited by hscic; 05-04-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:04 PM
coax9952
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like sumping to me......Mine does it if it sits for a week. It's marking it's spot.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:20 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by coax9952
Sounds like sumping to me......Mine does it if it sits for a week. It's marking it's spot.
perhaps, but i just rode it the day before for maybe 10 minutes for a several miles 10-40 mph. I would think it would have somewhat purged the system.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:30 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,623 Likes on 2,915 Posts

its a mail dog thing marking its spot

nothing in my shop is started with out a bucket under it - a restored dark green 1949 came in last week did not look at it till today and with out even moving it around it has a 1/2 quart of oil under it -- no I did not do the resto but it can happen to any of them at any time for no apparent reason some do it all the time some don't

and then you will always have the guy whos bike is so un leak able the aluminum has rusted - if you listen to him brag about it

The following users liked this post:
hscic (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:56 PM
60weight
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

You said
"Okay rerouted the return hose into a bottle and started the bike. Idled and slightly revved it for maybe 30 second or less."
Looks to me like this was done with the oil cap off looking at pic?
Did the oil inside Her tank behave like the first time? bubble or show any signs of moment?
(If You had a chance to notice both inside tank AND return hose routed to bottle at same time)
To clarify..oil in tank STILL looks clean/new and whats in plastic bottle is blackish/old stuff?
Heres the reason for my last question,
You said,
"since my oil looks like the oil in the vid canister that came out of the return hose....the oil should be clear like in the tank."

Last edited by 60weight; 05-05-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:13 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60weight
You said
"Okay rerouted the return hose into a bottle and started the bike. Idled and slightly revved it for maybe 30 second or less."
Looks like this was done with the oil cap off looking at pic,
Did the oil inside Her tank behave like the first time? bubble or show any signs of moment?
(If You had a chance to notice both inside tank AND return hose routed to bottle at same time)
To clarify..oil in tank STILL looks clean/new and whats in plastic bottle is blackish/old stuff?
No, placed a bolt in the return hole as you noted and placed the cap back on so did not see what was going on inside the tank.

Yes the stuff in the bottle was blackish stuff as well as the puke coming out of the breather..

Plan to reroute the return hose into a bottle and run the engine again...and as the nasty oil comes out of the return, will keep filling the tank to place clean fresh oil to maintain proper level....until clean oil come out of the return, Will do this after I take the bike for a good ride and assess the system.

Last edited by hscic; 05-05-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:35 AM
60weight
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

You could do that while using a box fan.
Gallon jug for old oil of course, She only holds 3 quarts (normally)
Personally, I would do this after Shes warm...idling 1200 RPMs no less.
No riding first..just after running till warm,in garage.
But...I really suggest visually verify the oil hose routing first...if you can.
Also, if Ya cant see them You can tug and pull them watching and feeling.
I say this because something sounds off...And we DON'T trust this Indy.
Did he charge You for any new oil hose?
Gunna think about this and get out a factory shop manual...be back in a.m.

Last edited by 60weight; 05-05-2019 at 12:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
hscic (05-05-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 02:23 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60weight
You could do that while using a box fan.
Gallon jug for old oil of course, She only holds 3 quarts (normally)
Personally, I would do this after Shes warm...idling 1200 RPMs no less.
No riding first..just after running till warm,in garage.
But...I really suggest visually verify the oil hose routing first...if you can.
Also, if Ya cant see them You can tug and pull them watching and feeling.
I say this because something sounds off...And we DON'T trust this Indy.
Did he charge You for any new oil hose?
Gunna think about this and get out a factory shop manual...be back in a.m.
Sorry, what is a box fan?

Why do you say to verify the oil hose routing when I just verified the return was functioning as it should otherwise I would not have seen oil returning into the bottle?

The indy did nothing except replace oil and oil filter. He did not change any hoses.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:33 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 437 Likes on 298 Posts

I believe what 60wt is saying is to have a fan blowing air across the motor while running it for extended periods in place.

The following 2 users liked this post by FL54:
60weight (05-05-2019), hscic (05-05-2019)

Quick Reply: 71 FLH Shovelhead