Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,032 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
Waiting for the my long 7/16" allen lug wrench socket and an 1100lb scissors lift to remove the wheel....and yes, I will do it myself LOL

I have a lift and a jack, but I like the wide platform on the scissors and it has an 2 adapter for the front frame since there is a skid plate or something that is situated below the frame so can't use a lift with a flat surface under the motor.

This was asked on another thread but there was no reply to his inquiry so I will ask here.. I bought a grease gun since I noticed grease fittings on the swing arm and the brake lever. I looked in the manual and the only other one noted is the shifter lever, however when I changed my shift lever and arm and my jiffy stand, I did not recall seeing a grease fitting or I just did not notice it.. I don't think there is one on the sprocket shaft, hub or seat bar as in earlier years but I could be wrong. Any other fittings besides the brake lever and swing arm?
I am not sure if that is going to get you high enough in the air to remove the wheel. I use the infamous Red Craftsman motorcycle lift, and it works on the frame of the Shovel. Highest setting is just enough to get the wheel to the ground and then wiggle it out the side. Would suck to be in the air and tire on the floor but trapped under the bike.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 10:49 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
I am not sure if that is going to get you high enough in the air to remove the wheel. I use the infamous Red Craftsman motorcycle lift, and it works on the frame of the Shovel. Highest setting is just enough to get the wheel to the ground and then wiggle it out the side. Would suck to be in the air and tire on the floor but trapped under the bike.
I used my lift which is similar to your craftsman to lift the bike to remove the shocks so i could install the rear guards, but I did not need to constantly move the lift up and down like I would need to when removing the lugs

btw Do you not have areas under the motor protruding below the frame? I cannot get the left flat on the frame under the motor.which is the center of weight.

Last edited by hscic; 05-12-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:07 PM
60weight
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

So Your going to screw that scissor thing up and down each time to remove every lug-nut? What...5 times?
Why not simply clamp Her brake pedal to lock the rear wheel in place..seems easier. Or heck, You could just roll the bike,Just loosen lugs a bit.
no jack even needed till its time to remove Her wheel.

Architect (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 02:34 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60weight
So Your going to screw that scissor thing up and down each time to remove every lug-nut? What...5 times?
Why not simply clamp Her brake pedal to lock the rear wheel in place..seems easier. Or heck, You could just roll the bike,Just loosen lugs a bit.
no jack even needed till its time to remove Her wheel.
LOL yeah I will figure out the easiest way for me. May even use the other jack...then it’s just pump to lift and twist to lower. Screwing and unscrewing the Clamp just seems just a bit more cumbersome that ratcheting up and down.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:42 PM
60weight
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

You do understand the 2 reasons for the clamp right?
1. lock the wheel to loosen lugs if on lift
2. holding brake in place while removing and replacing wheel

Old 05-12-2019, 03:42 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,575 Likes on 2,896 Posts

those lifts we have 5 of them in the shop 48 bucks free shipping on flea bay - all the lifts have one and the 7/8 wrench and an extra one floats the shop incase we need to do both ends at the same time

used them on the shops 4 wheeler plows as well - we disassemble them and grease everything and some we have upped the bolt strength

great tool to have around in the shop we also use the stairs carpet tack downs, to keep from damaging the frame bottoms as most of the stuff in the shop is collectable

hscic (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 04:09 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 60weight
You do understand the 2 reasons for the clamp right?
1. lock the wheel to loosen lugs if on lift
2. holding brake in place while removing and replacing wheel
yes I understand

Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 434 Likes on 296 Posts

Don't know if you have room in your garage but Harbor Freight sells a drive on lift that goes on sale periodically for $300. I ride a bike right up on it get it to a comfortable height and then use a small scissor jack to get the wheel up. I resisted the idea for a long time because it takes up space in the garage but it's easy to park a bike on it so it doesn't take up a lot of additional space. Sure has made wrenching a lot easier on the joints.

The following 2 users liked this post by FL54:
hscic (05-13-2019), Racepres (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by FL54
Don't know if you have room in your garage but Harbor Freight sells a drive on lift that goes on sale periodically for $300. I ride a bike right up on it get it to a comfortable height and then use a small scissor jack to get the wheel up. I resisted the idea for a long time because it takes up space in the garage but it's easy to park a bike on it so it doesn't take up a lot of additional space. Sure has made wrenching a lot easier on the joints.
Now that lift would make life a lot easier....it would definitely save my old back and knees.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:23 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Perhaps a bit shorter or longer would have been nice so the T would be able to spin on the inside or outside the muffs. Damn, may have to remove the muffs..I should be an expert in doing that by now.

Good thing I also bought a 7/8" allen lug wrench socket...so I can extend to spin and then torque to spec.

Last edited by hscic; 05-15-2019 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 71 FLH Shovelhead