Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

68 FLH Back 2 Basics

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 AM
classof96
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 68 FLH Back 2 Basics

New to me and I'm hooked. As mentioned in an earlier thread, I haven't had a shovel since the mid eighties, so now I am being a sponge and retraining my brain. I've put 400 miles on it and other then a little carb issue, it does what it should. It has also given me a chance to make a list of things to fine tune during the upcoming winter. Been hanging out in this section and already have learned a lot from the historians and guys with experience. It's obvious it's not original and I'm good with that. What I want to do is get a few, correct to '68 parts, and find out what would have or have not been on the bike. I have numerous questions but thought I would post pictures first and go from there. Thank you

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:30 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,935 Likes on 2,569 Posts

That is a damn nice looking bike, and to me looks pretty original. I would take care of all needed maintenance, add a kick starter, get rid of the gangster white walls and then ride the wheels off of that bike. Congrats and good luck.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:39 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,447 Likes on 4,133 Posts

Very, very nice! Congrats!

Old 10-02-2018, 09:44 AM
classof96
Tourer

Thanks Architect. Went to TROG for the first time this year, that was great, plan to do it again next year as soon as info is available Yep, I'm not much of a big white wall guy, but I'll wait awhile. And I'm all about maintenance, already changed fluids twice, drained fuel, which I'm glad I did, found the levers for main and reserve are backwards, lubed cables, found a couple grease zerks.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:14 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Think about changing the fork oil, Johnjzjz recommends 30wt I believe, maybe he will show up soon to give his opinion.

No word on TROG except a street drag race event in December in Santa Barbara. Doesn't really interest me, my bike is low HP, so I need the the great equalizer, sand and no traction.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:01 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

please do not think at any time someone add an opinion is picking on your machine - most are working guys and the type thing never puts across the correct vibe in some cases having said that

the fender bolt in front of the right side saddle bag is missing and the left side has a washer that the factory did not use the bolt head was right against the chrome strut

the voltage regulator is an electronic while I agree the correct one installs in side the chrome cap on the end of the genny and you can install a dummy mechanical regulator in the correct spot

the throttle cable is incorrect and the bars its internal to be correct you may like what you have but the guys who know when you take it someplace will bug you about it -- so my guess the carb is also gone hope it has a Bendix as they work well and is accepted

not a fan of the headlight / spotlight tin top covers but its not mine

you have a solo but the buddy seat has the peg mount for the passenger in the primary on the left side / you have that - but the right side the exhaust is not original and the plate that attaches to the front of the trans cover, is missing and the rear pipe is too far forward so you cant install the peg mount - just saying no biggy

the cylinder jugs are painted the wrong color as they should be silver and not black most don't know this as well as the lifter blocks are silver oem 68

chrome spokes and not right cad plated is correct but the chrome give it a snap as do the white walls

people just came in will take another look later -- very nice example BTW lots of luck with it and ask away lots of real talent in this section - most own and ride collectables like yours

The following users liked this post:
classof96 (10-07-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 06:54 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 653 Posts

looks real nice ...enjoy !!

Old 10-03-2018, 07:49 AM
classof96
Tourer

Thanks to all for comments, I posted the pictures so that I can find out what it should be, no problem with pickers.

John, the missing bolt, good eye it's on the list. I was trying to figure out how the rh passenger peg mounted, I saw pictures of bracket and wasn't sure. I have to post a pik of front exh pipe. Down at bottom of bend by the frame is a clamp attached to pipe and it is just hanging there????

Yes it does have a Bendix with adjustable main jet. It had a little issue, just received a made in USA rebuild kit, going to keep it on shelf for now.

I will probably take off visors on passing lamps but I am curious about the one on headlight. It is different looking. Is it a style that was available back then? If it is I may keep it on. I wouldn't mind finding original passing lamps, mine are not, they don't have "glide" with numbers stamped in top. The windshield is aftermarket but I'm told the "pouch" is original. The windshield is off, I can't have one on an old bike unless it had a fairing, just me.
While on the front end, I want to get original mirrors and stems. But I'm hearing differences between round or square?? Also that a original mirror will not have rubber type gasket between mirror and casing??

Rear fender luggage rack. I see a lot of them on FLH's but was it really an accessory back then?? Thinking of taking it off.
I do have the rear fender tip but it only had 1 of 3 screws holding it on and was stripped. Not sure if I'll look for a another one or how to use original.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Redbeard07
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John you missed one, shouldn't the spedo have "Harley Davidson" in the emblem.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard07
John you missed one, shouldn't the spedo have "Harley Davidson" in the emblem.
Speedo looks correct to me, no words just the logo.

Quick Reply: 68 FLH Back 2 Basics