Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1978 FLH Swingarm hitting crash bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:29 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

The passenger footpegs for FX models are located here (on the frame in a fixed position)

...and look like this when assembled

And if you consider for a moment how difficult it would be for a passenger to maintain correct seat position if the pegs were mounted on the rear fork. The passengers legs would be moving in conjuction with the movement of the rear fork, every little bump in the road now affects them and the ability to maintain position behind the driver.

FYI, bike I am referrencing in the pics above is a stock 1978 FXE.

So, if the left side has 1/2" clearance and the right side does not, then I would suggest checking the cam load on each shock to ensure they are in identical positions (maybe if not correct it would cause the right to bottom out). Only other possibilities are collapsed shock, cracked or broken spring, bent (or possibly cracked) rear fork, bent upper or lower shock stud on the right side.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-13-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

^^ That block was probably introduced about '77 or '78... Passenger pegs were indeed positioned on the Swing arm...previous.
Like my 1974!!!!

Old 03-13-2019, 03:31 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
^^ That block was probably introduced about '77 or '78... Passenger pegs were indeed positioned on the Swing arm...previous.
Like my 1974!!!!
You are definitely correct. The 75 FXE I once owned has the passenger blocks on the rear fork. (Shulda looked first!(

I have a pic of a 77 FXE and the passenger pegs are mounted on the frame like my 78.

Apologies Stansuski and Racepres or the misinformation.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-13-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:32 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever
You are definitely correct. The 75 FXE I once owned has the passenger blocks on the rear fork. (Shulda looked first!(

I have a pic of a 77 FXE and the passenger pegs are mounted on the frame like my 78.

Apologies Stansuski and Racepres or the misinformation.
No Apologies necessary far as I can tell...But...I wish I knew More about that single Passenger peg mount welded to the rear of that frame... Never seen a Single one from the Factory...

Old 03-13-2019, 06:19 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

remember - amf still was in control of Harley and were in huge trouble what ever fit was being used to complete another machine at times

***** was back and helping and then took back complete control in 81 < I believe maybe earlier

Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
remember - amf still was in control of Harley and were in huge trouble what ever fit was being used to complete another machine at times

***** was back and helping and then took back complete control in 81 < I believe maybe earlier
I always shake my head about AMF bein in trouble... even H-D bein in trouble...
sometimes I sorta wish the "group" that bought it back would have let AMF complete NOVA and the EVO projects before they Usurped control...
The Influx of AMF Money was and still would have been, good for all of us...

Course... I wish I woulda had a couple bucks to buy some of the stock back when it first came available also...

I guess what I really mean is... It seems too easy to blame all of the Previous owners Whims, on the MoCo
Unless we are the original owners... we can't really Know what it came like... now can we....Sadly I could only afford a couple...

Last edited by Racepres; 03-13-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:14 AM
Stansuski
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Swingarm only hit crash bar on REBOUND not on compression of the suspension, so that would eliminate weak shock etc. I have inspected closely all parts and I am now looking again at crash bar itself ( which does not appear to be bent). I am going to re- install original bar and re inspect radius position as it comes off of frame as RH side doesn’t seem to turn away from swingarm as quickly as LH side.
Stan

Old 03-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stansuski
The Swingarm only hit crash bar on REBOUND not on compression of the suspension, so that would eliminate weak shock etc. I have inspected closely all parts and I am now looking again at crash bar itself ( which does not appear to be bent). I am going to re- install original bar and re inspect radius position as it comes off of frame as RH side doesn’t seem to turn away from swingarm as quickly as LH side.
Stan
If it is Not an OE Bar.. may have a Multitude of fitment issues...
Note that some even tie the Bike down in a trailer by the crash bars... wonder if that may distort Chiwanese Bars???

Old 03-15-2019, 06:13 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts

I would check the Swing arm bearings. They can allow side movement of the arm over bumps and swells and what not, that we never really notice till damage occurs. When I first put my saddle bags on my 77 FX I though a 1/2" clearance would be enough. Nope, my lower shock stud with acorn nut tore up the inside of my bags over a large swell at 60 mph..

And yes my early 77 foot pegs are frame mounted.. Not swing arm..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 03-15-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:11 AM
Stansuski
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racepres
If it is Not an OE Bar.. may have a Multitude of fitment issues...
Note that some even tie the Bike down in a trailer by the crash bars... wonder if that may distort Chiwanese Bars???

Yes it was an OE crash bar which fit the shock mount and frame holes perfectly, I attempted to “adjust” it to not interfere with swing arm block, it was a PIA to adjust , I can assure you it was not Chiwanese, in the end I decided that it will never be a 100 point show bike, just a real nice Survivor, next out came the cutoff wheel, 5 minutes later 99.9% of you will never know, that block disappeared, I only wished I did this yesterday before adjusting ( bending) a perfectly good crash bar which I was lucky enough to get almost back to perfect. Thanks for all your thoughts and comments, now on to the next challenge.
Stan

Quick Reply: 1978 FLH Swingarm hitting crash bar