Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1978 FLH Swingarm hitting crash bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Stansuski
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1978 FLH Swingarm hitting crash bar

I have just acquired a 78 Anniversary FLH, bike has been in same family for 40 years, even so it has a few stories which can’t be answered (1st.owner no longer with us). The swing arm has 2 welded on blocks on the bottom of it, one on each side, I have seen these on many FLH models. The right side hits on the crash bar when fully unloaded. I thought the crash bar was bent which it was but I replaced it with another fit right on ,no issues except for this block hits the new bar also, does anyone know what these blocks were welded on for and I would love some pics from anyone who has same bike or similar, bike is mostly stock but over the last 40 years some things have been changed, I believe this has been hitting for years which caused the chrome on the crash bar to rust and peel. Any help out there!. I will try to post some pics if I can.
Thanks, Stan

Old 03-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Stansuski
Cruiser

RH side of swingarm

Here are some pics (I hope)

Old 03-12-2019, 07:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Crash bar may be tweaked, that block should have plenty of room.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Stansuski
Cruiser

New crash bar is not bent, I have taken several measurements, does anyone know what that block is for ??.
Stan

Old 03-13-2019, 12:25 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

My 84 FLH swingarm does not have those blocks. My 78 FXE does. Looking at the parts manual there are three versions of the FL/H rear fork. Yours is the 2nd version.

That said I do not know why these blocks are there.

Thoughts and ideas....

1. When was the last time the rear forks were pulled, had the bearings repacked and preload checked.

2. Have you tried lenghtening the shocks. There is a cam adjuster on each at the base (takes a special tool to do it).

3. If that will not cure the problem my thought is that the shock absorbers are worn out and need to be replaced.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:55 AM
SparkyD
Road Captain
Received 154 Likes on 110 Posts

Looks like where the lower bracket for the rear brake bolts to on my '79 FXE

The following users liked this post:
Vec (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

are they threaded? they look like shock mounts to me, but underneath. can't help you with why they are there, though...

Old 03-13-2019, 07:15 AM
Stansuski
Cruiser

Thanks for all the reply’s and suggestions,I will try to get better pics, the shocks measure 12” eye to eye centers, it seems like crash bar is just bent but I have tried 2 different ones which fit the frame holes perfectly and I have taken many measurements and it doesn’t seem to be a bent bar and I don’t want to bend it it fit i’d rather figure out what’s wrong, I believe this has been hitting on rebound for years, it only hits on rebound not when you are sitting on bike as if shocks were too long but I know they are not, I have a lot of time working on shovels and this really has me, swingarm is tight and seems to move freely no binding and proper preload, I was thinking those blocks might do something on an FX but I can’t document it yet, left side block clears by 1/2” no issues. Very strange, if any of you guys have a similar ride please look for me.
Thanks, Stan

Old 03-13-2019, 07:43 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

As said...the "blocks" are for passenger foot pegs... Early FL and FX used the Very same Chassis... By '78...IDK...may be a replacement swing arm...alot can happen in 40 years..I buy the Bike...Never the Story [fairy tale]

Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Stansuski
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
As said...the "blocks" are for passenger foot pegs... Early FL and FX used the Very same Chassis... By '78...IDK...may be a replacement swing arm...alot can happen in 40 years..I buy the Bike...Never the Story [fairy tale]

I have verified,that you are right, blocks are for early FX foot pegs , checked with friend who has both early FX and 78 FLH, our swing arms are the same, although he removed rear crash bars on his FLH. My original crash bar is not dented from impact , it must hit just enough to damage chrome.
Stan

Quick Reply: 1978 FLH Swingarm hitting crash bar