Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Sealing pin hole leak in tank.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 08:58 AM
mbco
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sealing pin hole leak in tank.

While "de-rusting" the tanks on my 78 FXE using Metal Rescue (which seemed to work great by the way) I found a small pinhole leak in the RH side tank down by the front mounting bracket. Anybody had any positive or negative experiences with J-B Weld TankWeld or similar products? I am uncovering some products may not stand up to ethanol fuels.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:09 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,831 Likes on 18,581 Posts

I'd imagine that you will be refinishing the tank ... I'd see if you can get someone to braze it ... or stop at by a radiator shop and see what they say ... Most "Magic in a Can" products aren't what they're cracked up to be .. Of course condition of the tank will determine if it can be brazed ... Good Luck

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
AJSHOVEL (08-07-2020), hvacgaspiping (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 10:23 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,984 Likes on 2,589 Posts

Listen to Uncle Larry, radiator shop can pressure test and seal it up. If you have one hole, you may have more, good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by Architect:
98hotrodfatboy (07-29-2020), hvacgaspiping (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:14 PM
DooWop
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have filled a tank with water and brazed a pin hole shut. Problem is if there is one there might be others down the line. The radiator shop sounds like a good idea. Will tank creme do any good?
If a tank s filled with water, flushing with denatured alcohol will displace any water remaining. Or the product Heat. Don't use bourbon.
Someone at Bonneville said "Gasoline's for cleaning parts, alcohol's for drinking, and nitro's for racing." They're nuts out there.

I just came across a gas tank sealer in JP Cycles restore catalog. $40-59. Might be worth a shot.

Last edited by DooWop; 07-29-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:11 PM
mbco
Advanced

I guess I forget to mention tanks are in good condition, painted and hole is down low near front bracket. with no other leaks detected when filled with liquid - no pressurized. I was HOPING not to have to braze (and find somebody qualified) and repaint tank and trying epoxy based product method as first (and hopefully only) step. I'm heading out to shop to start sanding paint to see what it looks like bare. I'll post a pic.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 05:20 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 289 Posts

depending exactly where the pin hole is a good brazer could save the outside tank paint and touch up the braze area

Old 07-29-2020, 06:04 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 2,885 Posts

normally what you have is a stress crack in the fixture between the tank and the mounting bracket - as these old buckets do shake quite a bit - radiator shop is the only option

in the shop we would then seal it with the red coat -((( only ))) did i say only hope so

Old 07-30-2020, 12:10 PM
mbco
Advanced

Thanks for the advice brothers. I know pic is huge but wanted to show detail. For orientation breach is it located on lowest inside corner just outboard of mounting flange of rightside tank. I got down to metal with Dremel and stopped when I realized it may be the seam of two pieces. When i probed inside that gap I can pick out some non-metal material which I can't identify.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:36 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,305 Likes on 8,405 Posts

Originally Posted by mbco
I guess I forget to mention tanks are in good condition, painted and hole is down low near front bracket. with no other leaks detected when filled with liquid - no pressurized. I was HOPING not to have to braze (and find somebody qualified) and repaint tank and trying epoxy based product method as first (and hopefully only) step. I'm heading out to shop to start sanding paint to see what it looks like bare. I'll post a pic.
Don`t try to braze it yourself unless you have the skills, especially with the thin tank material. It is too easy to burn a larger hole and make it even more difficult to fix it. Good heat control is imperative.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:36 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,424 Likes on 884 Posts

I have an old chunk of what was called gas tank epoxy - it's meant to fix exactly what you have. I might have used it on a car 20-30 years ago, but probably didn't keep it long enough to find out if it held up. Something to consider?

Quick Reply: Sealing pin hole leak in tank.