Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Ratchet Top Shifter Shaft parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 10:27 AM
FatboysFatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ratchet Top Shifter Shaft parts

I'm building a Panhead on a Rigid Frame. Have a Cowpie Trans that I'm putting in a STD case that takes either Ratchet Lid or Rotary Lid. I'm going with a Ratchet Lid, I have the Ratchet Shift Fingers and understand shift shafts are the same (almost) but I cannot find the part # for the parts that go into the shift fingers that holds the shift forks on. They seem to be a different piece for ratchet tops vs rotary tops. Rotary is one piece shift finger and you slid fork on with appropriate shims, retaining ring and nut. Ratchet top is different. All the manuals I have, parts catalogs, etc are leaving me high ad dry, Part#s would be major help. Source would be even better. Thanks

Old 01-25-2021, 11:30 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Not exactly sure what parts you are looking for but here are some pics from the parts book

And this tool is essential for properly aligning the forks

Last edited by panz4ever; 01-25-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:14 PM
FatboysFatboy
Advanced

Thank you Panz4ever. It part #s 55 (bushing); and 56 (nut) that I cannot find. Which manual is that. I got to get one of those. Do you know a source for those parts. Again thanks. This is a little deeper than I’ve gone into a trans before. Wish me luck.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:39 PM
FatboysFatboy
Advanced

Panz4ever. Found them. Thanks for the help. I’ll post a pic when I’m done. No, I’ll post a few fix as I’m building. I may never be done.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:23 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,883 Posts

On this note — FL ratchet drum with a hand attached shift handle - it one back and 3 forward < most don’t care for that arrange meant but they drums are cheap

the one the guys go to is the FX drum - that make it one forward and 3 back much more usafrendly - but the drum is almost 300 bucks - cost of cool

Old 01-31-2021, 11:30 AM
FatboysFatboy
Advanced
Question Another issue in need of answer

Ok I think I have everything to swap guts from a Rotary Top into my new STD case. Case looks just like a ratchet top case except for the top which accepts either the ratchet top or rotary top. The rotary top case uses a different bump stop for the kicker start gear. The bump stop for the rotary top part of the bearing support plate and also seems to be a retainer for the counter shaft. I ordered a new bearing support plate for a ratchet top and a bump stop for a ratchet top and they fit just fine in the new case. Question is, what keeps the counter shaft in place on a ratchet top? It looks like he nut that holds the kicker start gear on is very close to the end of the counter shaft so its not likely to come out. Does the counter shaft spin? Just want to get this right the first time. I hope this post makes sense. Thanks

Old 01-31-2021, 12:56 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Your going to need a shift selector tool as the swap out is in different locations and won’t work like you might think

the counter shaft is held in by the main bearing retainer on the right side and the shaft has a side cut out that the retainers long piece fits into

the normal ratchet top trans uses a nut on the end and a flat lock for the counter shaft - shaft -

trans end play - if its not right it wont shift like you expect - its not hard to do but the adjustments matter in a very big way

Old 01-31-2021, 04:49 PM
FatboysFatboy
Advanced
Default Thanks

I have the shift alignment too. Yea, your right, a must have. Are you saying the counter shaft for 65-E79 is different than L79-84? If different, I guess I need to order a early model counter shaft. List just keeps growing.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:20 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

It comes down to loose roller counter shaft Gear or do you have a caged bearing in the counter shaft gear - then the shaft end bushings are also different

maybe a few pictures of what you have and what your trying to do would help

The following users liked this post:
panz4ever (01-31-2021)