Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Clogged Fuel Filler Compartment Drain

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 02:31 PM
Marc Potter
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clogged Fuel Filler Compartment Drain

I have some questions for the group. I own a 1981 FLTC which has a large one piece fuel tank. (I believe they used the same tank from 1980-88.) The fuel filler compartment drain port/line is VERY clogged. This is the port that goes from the fuel cap compartment to the rear of the tank for draining off spilled fuel or water. (A hose is attached at the rear.) Absolutely nothing will flow through it. Air pressure does no good. Poking at seems to only pack the clog worse. I've been filling the port, on each side, with WD-40 and using a solid copper wire with the end cut like a drill bit, in my drill at low speed, to try and dislodge the plug will a little success. I let it soak in WD-40 overnight and used a 5/32" drill bit (smaller than the hole of course) this morning to remove some of the clog. This is effective, however, it will be disastrous if the line is not perfectly straight. Which brings me to one of my questions: "Is the port passage straight, or does it bend?" Next question; Since a great deal of rust is coming out the integrity of the line is likely compromised. I was thinking about coating it with an Ethanol proof epoxy. Has anyone used an epoxy that will seal when in constant contact with ethanol? The Devon 2 ton epoxy that I usually use with withstand regular unleaded fine, but does not do well with alcohol - ethanol.

This is the port leaving the fuel filler compartment.

Closer view. Very nasty looking when viewing it close up.

This is the exit

And a close up.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:47 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,555 Likes on 2,883 Posts

We have fixed a few of those - what is happening is the factory coated the gas tank inside and now 30 years later its shedding the sealer in glitter flakes

it will never go away 20 minuet ride its on the side of the road again - you need to re coat it again -

i used white vinager for 2 weeks topping it off when needed - then we washed out with hot water coupe times and then filtered the vinegar and another week - then hot water again then a alcohol flush coupe times then a good drying

then the red coat twice over a 2 week period - this is done to save the paint on it - if not an issue give it to a radiator shop then coat it and re paint easier thing

Old 01-31-2021, 04:07 PM
Marc Potter
Intermediate

Thank you John. You've given me something to think about. Originally I was just concerned about the drain, but the tank is flaking badly on the inside. I cleaned out around a cup of flakes the other day.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:17 PM
Marc Potter
Intermediate

Any suggestions for professional tank restoration services? I'd like to send it in as-is and have it returned finished with the OEM color. While I could clean it out and coat it, a professional exterior paint job is outside my skill-set. I do a mean rattle can job, but I want this to really look good.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:08 AM
Marc Potter
Intermediate

Back to my original question: Is the passage from the filler compartment to the rear of the tank straight?

Old 02-01-2021, 02:08 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

its an over flow for filling tank you can welding rod it

Old 02-01-2021, 03:24 PM
Marc Potter
Intermediate

John, do you mean weld it shut? I finally got it cleared. The passage is straight, which is good since I cleared most of the clog out by using a 5/32" drill bit in my drill at very low speed. The rest I soaked and poked until it cleared. Now to deal with the inside of the tank.

Old 02-01-2021, 04:59 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Your on it

Old 02-02-2021, 06:55 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,983 Likes on 2,588 Posts

I have used a local radiator shop to clean, pressure test and seal gas tanks that are painted, without damaging the paint. My guy is an old radiator shop that has limited business with plastic radiators in new cars, so now he does restoration work for cars and motorcycles. Tanks, radiators, etc. I was very pleased with the results.

On an older tank I did the white vinegar thing, also pleased with those results. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Marc Potter (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 08:12 AM
FL54
Road Master
Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Marc, you live in Oregon with easy access to many stations that carry non ethanol fuel. No need to put corn squeezings back in your tank.

Quick Reply: Clogged Fuel Filler Compartment Drain