Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Dull knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 04:35 AM
magnum45pete
Road Captain
Received 356 Likes on 212 Posts

sound can play tricks on you,
you can swear blind a noise is coming from the front but when found, it was coming from the other end,
try taking the bike to a bumpy hill, & freewheel it down with the motor off to see if you can hear anything, you'd be surprised what you might find,..pump the brakes to check their mounts. check for lose calipers, worn shock bushes, lose motor mounts, ehausts, fenders, broken tank mounts etc, etc etc,....
once all else is elimited then look at getting the motor torn apart & check it out,...do the easy simple things first,
once had a buddy do a full motor re-build only to find the calipers were lose !!

Old 09-01-2022, 05:59 AM
HawkX66
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Crankpin2ie
Hi guys. New shovelhead owner here. It’s a 1980 Flh supposed to be a low mileage but who knows! The screws on right hand side of the engine have never been touched. Couple of oil minor oil leaks but nothing serious. My question is that I have a dull knocking that sounds like piston slap on acceleration especially between 40 and 50 mph. Is a small amount of piston noise acceptable on a shovel? I don’t have another shovel to compare it to. Ireland is a strange place, nobody seems to want to help out. I’m not new to Harley Davidsons or motorcycles and I always do my own work. Thanks
Piston slap wouldn't be a dull thud. Shovels are notorious for extra noises. A dull knocking sound at idle I'd say is bearings, but if you're saying it's at speed it's something else I'm sure. Stethoscope is a good start for figuring it out. Maybe a caliper flopping a little?

Old 09-01-2022, 06:18 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 887 Posts

Piston noise is usually louder when cold because the piston expands as it get hot. So is the noise different, louder etc, when cold? And, can you hold the brakes and load the engine when in gear to get a better idea when the noise starts?

Other things that cause noise will also change with temp, but with a lose fitting piston that is "slapping" in the cylinder the sound should change from cold to hot.

Paul

Old 09-01-2022, 01:47 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,432 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Crankpin2ie
I went over the engine with a home made stethoscope last night and front and rear top ends make the same tapping clicking sounds, barrel and bottom end sound quiet. Intermittent knock or slap in primary. Chain is adjusted properly and engine nut was removed cleaned and torqued about 700 miles ago.
I have a chance to ride another shovelhead in the next month or so so I can compare noises.
One thing. Could the sound in hearing be induction noise? Thanks for all the help.
Originally Posted by deathrowdave
I have a 75 that had near the same sound . I tracked it down to a worn compensator . I chucked it up in my lathe and took a .015 cut on the end of the “bolt” to allow it tighten a touch tighter . Sound was gone and never returned after the fix .
I think this is going to be the answer. The ramps get worn and make noise when there is little load.

The following users liked this post:
Crankpin2ie (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 02:37 PM
Crankpin2ie
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

.015 of an inch seems so little. I’ll give it a try when I’m in the primary next. I want to replace all primary gaskets and my inner primary seal is leaking I think. It only leaks after a spin then stops after a day or so. Also the solenoid boot.
Jobs for the winter.