Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

81 FXE Restore

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 07:06 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,579 Likes on 2,898 Posts

That’s wait i see i might still have the catalog i will look

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (11-05-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 07:19 PM
Y2K
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,202 Likes on 1,347 Posts

It's one of the things I love about H-D,if this was any other brand it would probably be going to the scrap yard.

The following 4 users liked this post by Y2K:
AlCherry (11-05-2022), back again (03-04-2023), BB.No8 (11-05-2022), IronAss (11-06-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 07:21 PM
Y2K
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,202 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Memory ain't what it used to be... But, That looks like a Chicane Wheel, by PM.. Nice Dragbike Equipment...shame they quit 'em!!
Might be the Angle or my own nostalgia... but that sure looks like a Wide Tree/NarrowGlide fork setup from??? awhile back.. If so... me wonders who made the rotor spacers?? We used a local Machinist...$$$$

Darnnit: Memory is the F... second thing to Go... Thinking that for the right Money.. there was a "kit" for widening the Narrowglide...came with a Wheel that "looked" like a Chicane!! Now I am Doubly curious..
Yeah PM Machine no doubt.

Racepres (11-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 07:50 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Memory ain't what it used to be... But, That looks like a Chicane Wheel, by PM.. Nice Dragbike Equipment...shame they quit 'em!!
Might be the Angle or my own nostalgia... but that sure looks like a Wide Tree/NarrowGlide fork setup from??? awhile back.. If so... me wonders who made the rotor spacers?? We used a local Machinist...$$$$

Darnnit: Memory is the F... second thing to Go... Thinking that for the right Money.. there was a "kit" for widening the Narrowglide...came with a Wheel that "looked" like a Chicane!! Now I am Doubly curious..
I'll check and see if that is, in fact, a PM wheel. I'll send you some pictures. The front end IS a narrow/wide glide conversion that I'm not too fond of. Probably going back to a stock set-up if I can find a complete front end with mag wheel. No specific reason, just liked the stock look.

Racepres (11-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 07:54 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by john lee
hope you got plenty $$$ and time
I've got plenty of time, I hope. I'm retired. Money will be a little at a time, with some trading around.

Racepres (11-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 07:59 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sbrmike
There is a whole lotta bike there! I wouldn't mind owning it. There is some questionable engineering there to sift out. Cool project. Heck it even has an S&S Carb of some type.
We are going to work out the "questionable" southern engineering as it will be a frame off restoration. The carb is a "E".

Old 11-05-2022, 10:10 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior

Marty, I don't think it is a PM. There are no PM markings and the aluminum is looking too thick, making it too heavy. Before I pull the heads, I'm trying to identify the rocker boxes.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:32 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,056 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Originally Posted by AlCherry
Marty, I don't think it is a PM. There are no PM markings and the aluminum is looking too thick, making it too heavy. Before I pull the heads, I'm trying to identify the rocker boxes.

May Not be a Chicane... but, since the "spacers" look to be removeable... maybe useable on a stock front..
I'm semi sure that was a Kit front end!!! John may yet find it in an old catalogue. I too like the Stock SuperGlide with 9-spoke mags!!
I'm pretty sure I have a Tree here someplace... The Forks on yours would have been stock... But, Those may Not clean-up..
Brake components etc should all be stock also...
The Kit, was trees, wheel, axle... Only, far as I recall...which aint all that much lately!!!

Old 11-05-2022, 03:45 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 347 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by john lee
hope you got plenty $$$ and time
are you doing a ground up resto ?

Old 11-05-2022, 04:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,063 Likes on 17,533 Posts

Nice to see you back around Al,

And you stepped off into a deep one here from the looks of it, seen those rocker boxes at a swap in the past no idea who from.

Front end is repop totally, CCI and Ness hustled those for a good while.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-05-2022 at 04:06 PM.
AlCherry (11-06-2022)

Quick Reply: 81 FXE Restore