Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Stripped the plug hole...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 06:36 PM
BrokenGQ
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stripped the plug hole...

Hey all. Currently working on replacing my rear rocker box gasket and during the process I decided to go ahead and replace the front as well. During teardown of the front, the plug stripped on its way out. The plug is done for, and I'm guessing I should probably get the head fixed.

I can get a plug to thread into it and tighten down, but it wiggles a LOT when you're first threading it in. Once it starts to bottom out, the wiggle goes away and it seems to tighten down alright.

Seeing as I'm pulling the head anyway, I guess I should probably get this taken care of.

Thinking the fix is welding a slug in, drilling and tapping it? I'm against the helicoil route, too many horror stories. And a time-sert kit for this size plug is north of $200. I feel like a machine shop could do the weld/drill/tap for far less than that.

Anyone repaired their head using this method before? If so, what did it run you?

Last edited by BrokenGQ; 04-21-2023 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:59 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior
Received 1,684 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by BrokenGQ
Hey all. Currently working on replacing my rear rocker box gasket and during the process I decided to go ahead and replace the front as well. During teardown of the front, the plug stripped on its way out. The plug is done for, and I'm guessing I should probably get the head fixed.

I can get a plug to thread into it and tighten down, but it wiggles a LOT when you're first threading it in. Once it starts to bottom out, the wiggle goes away and it seems to tighten down alright.

Seeing as I'm pulling the head anyway, I guess I should probably get this taken care of.

Thinking the fix is welding a slug in, drilling and tapping it? I'm against the helicoil route, too many horror stories. And a time-sert kit for this size plug is north of $200. I feel like a machine shop could do the weld/drill/tap for far less than that.

Anyone repaired their head using this method before? If so, what did it run you?
you dont say what year and bike you have, how much is a new head?

Old 04-21-2023, 07:49 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Heli coil will work just fine and the 14mm kits are 50 bucks depends on who you buy from - you can put it in with the head on but if you intend to remove it that is even better

Old 04-21-2023, 09:02 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 794 Likes on 605 Posts

Perhaps a clean-up of threads is an option.

Old 04-21-2023, 09:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,993 Likes on 17,500 Posts

Thread Sert are better than helicoils, can be done with the head on but off is better, done many with these. You can get the kits at most auto parts places under $60.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 04-21-2023 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:39 PM
BrokenGQ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WONKEY
you dont say what year and bike you have, how much is a new head?
75 FXE. Haven't priced a new head. This one has some sentimental value. My dad did the work on it not too long before he passed. Would like to save it if I can.

Old 04-21-2023, 09:40 PM
BrokenGQ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Heli coil will work just fine and the 14mm kits are 50 bucks depends on who you buy from - you can put it in with the head on but if you intend to remove it that is even better
Head is already off and in my hands. I found a local machinist that told me to bring it by tomorrow and he'd let me know my options.

The following 2 users liked this post by BrokenGQ:
Harfar (04-29-2023), TwiZted Biker (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 09:42 PM
BrokenGQ
Intermediate

Thanks to all of you for the replies.

I called my local dealer to see what machine shop they use, and they directed me to a local guy that is a retired machinist that still works out of his house.

I called the guy and he told me to bring it by tomorrow.

Now to fight this rear head back on...someone didn't do a good job measuring clearances.

Old 04-22-2023, 12:39 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,993 Likes on 17,500 Posts

Originally Posted by BrokenGQ
Thanks to all of you for the replies.

I called my local dealer to see what machine shop they use, and they directed me to a local guy that is a retired machinist that still works out of his house.

I called the guy and he told me to bring it by tomorrow.

Now to fight this rear head back on...someone didn't do a good job measuring clearances.
I'd do both plug holes while it's off, several reasons why.

Far as the back head going back on be sure the piston is down and not crowned TDC.

Old 04-23-2023, 07:42 PM
Kenelz
Tourer
Received 193 Likes on 114 Posts

Around 30 years ago, I stripped my back plug threads. Back then I lived next door to a guy that owned an auto speed shop. He told me to bring it in, he could fix it while I waited. He said they do a lot of car heads, mostly Fords if I remember right.

They did a Helicoil in no time, lots of grease on the tap, and cleaned often. It is good as new to this day.

A couple years ago, my front gave out. I did it myself using a kit from NAPA, same principal, but used a type of high temp tread cement. Then last year, I was getting pops from the exaust, and front was running hot. I did a compression check, and had around 30 PSI. I pulled the head, and the spark plug was rockiing. The coil broke off with the insert threads.

I took it to a machine shop, they welded it shut, then drilled and tapped a new hole. So far, so good.

I would say in your case, a Helicoil should be fine if the person doing it know what they are doing.

Quick Reply: Stripped the plug hole...