Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

opinions on shovel head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 AM
therealPIKO
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions on shovel head?

Gents-

I don't have any experience with, and I have a very limited knowledge of the shovelhead. I have been wanting to purchase a classic harley for some time now and I've found a 1980 FXEF Fat Bob with a shovelhead that I am interested in. I am somewhat attached to that year, some of my buddies have warned me that harley was owned by amf that year and it may affect the quality of the engine. but i have done the research and harley merged with amf in 69, and they were still very successful in the racing circuit and it wasn't until the company was bought back and privately owned again that they were facing bankruptcy. i would appreciate any feed back on the shovelhead, some pluses and minuses, and overall performance. i am aware that they dump oil after they sit for a while, but i have been told it's common, because if the bike sits oil collects and then is released so, correct me if I am wrong but in my mind it seems like more of an overflow than a leak. as long as I amaware and add oil when needed, other than the mess it won't be a problem. thanx for any feed back.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: opinions on shovel head?

Welcome to the HDForums piko.
your probably going to find a lot of bias riders here
the shovelhead like any piece of machinery will have their faults and positives.
With any older bike you will have to wrench {or have someone} on the bike from time to time depending on the condition of the bike when you get it will determine how much wrenching you will need to do.
My buddy has an 80 80 he bought 10 years ago and after replacing all of the wheel bearings {on a run to Sturgus [:@]}, replacing the stator and box . paint job and a new top end he has a great running Harley.
The shovel head IMO is one great machine regardless of year but I am partial to the early generator engines.
good luck!
if you get the 80 and lets see some pictures!

Old 04-10-2008, 11:25 AM
fiveola
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this site under the Hidden Virtues of the Shovelhead Motor section.

http://www.truettandosborn.com/tech_...outing_Example

Old 04-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats a very good Link Thanks!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 PM
JohnB445
Tourer

I like shovels and have a 1980. It is a great old bike. I rode

last summer on the freeways at speeds of 65 to 75, with no

problems. But I also replaced all the bearings, chains, wheels

tires and some other parts. My opinion your buying a 28 year

old bike. Your life depends on the work you do, or don't do.

Oil leaks, I think most of the leak problem is the transmission.

It almost seems as though they were designed to leak. If you have

a model with the chain oiler, that also contributes. You can turn

the chain oiler off. Put new seals in the tranny, and with the help

of how to, posts in here. Keep the trans leaks down to a minimum.

NOTE If your tranny leaks it will throw oil all over, including onto

the rear tire. It can get tricky making left turns at high speed.

It is not as simple as adding oil more often.

If you really enjoy working on motorcycles (and I do)

and, reading about how they work. Yes buy an old shovel

and go for it.

I am not claiming to be a great wrench. To be honest I have

to do a lot of things twice, to get it perfect. But it is a labor of love

for me. I hope this helps, and you buy and enjoy your shovel.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 PM
panshovel4life
Advanced

The shovelhead is a good motor. like said you will have to work on it some, but that comes with any older machine. Alot of the early kone shoves had promblems in the bottom in but by the mid 70's they worked the bugs out. JohnB is right about the trannys. Most all shovelheads seep oil from somewhere. Old bikes have 3 stages of oil leaks. 1 weep 2 seep 3 leak. even putting brand new seals on a bike you will still get a weep or a seep thats ok. A leak is a differant story. Also as John said if you enjoy wrenching then get an old pan or shovel.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine leaks a little, small leaks. I dont worry about them. I Love shovels, I think most people under rate these bikes. I have always thought they were the purest of Harleys. The sound so sweet. For me, the 4 speed will limit you speed some, but that is a good thing.They are great 60 mph bikes. I use mine as a second bike to run to the bar or around town. Because of these bikes age, I think they are better suited for part time use. I put all the long highway miles on my twin cam. I think 15-20K miles per year is to much for a shovel. Dont buy one unless you are really big into old iron. If you just want to ride and run miles, get a twincam.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:25 AM
silvergoldsmith
Road Warrior

Bought my 1980 FXEF-80 Dec. 28, 1982 and still have it. It has always amazed people, has rarely leaked, it did have that tranny leak but a friend and I fixed it so many years ago I'm not sure I remember it all. I know we used the 'super nut', the one with the o-ring, he washed most everything with rubbing alcohol and put sil. seal on before the sprocket. So far it has not leaked in about 10+ years. This m/c has never left me broke down on the side of the road. It's biggest problem, thru the years, has been the 'black box'. At one point it ate one every year or so but I believe the problem was caused by the factory's tiny connector. I hard soldered and heat shrank it inside the primary and have only had 1 go bad since. As an 84c.in. it makes a good tug for an old HitchHiker.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49569/49AA82BBA9734BA8BE96A0AF103C2883.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
lewistg
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first bike to own is a 77 electraglide. my dad bought in 82 and he gave it to me around 2002. the shovel is a head turner and a great Sunday cruiser. I would sell my 05 Superglide before I sold the shovel. I've sunk a good bit of money and wrenchin on the bike. I agree with a previous writer, I would notget it to be my daily rider, you can't put the miles on it like the newer bikes. 30k miles on a shovel is like 80k+ on the newer.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Might want to look at an EVO. Much more reliable. Easier to get parts for. Still classic iron. A 1990 bike is 18 years old now. No way you would want a shovel now. When they were new, maybe. But those bikes are getting close to 30 years old plus. Harder to find parts, and people who really know them that aren't senile or burned out from the 60s.

JMO, YMMV

Quick Reply: opinions on shovel head?