Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

HELP!!! BREATHER OIL LEAK!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 AM
FXB_Rider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! BREATHER OIL LEAK!!

Hi all, i need your help Just to finish to rebuild my FXB 1981. I didn't work in motor, and last autumn worked great! For resume, start it for first time a A LOT of oil go out from breather. I know it's normal but after 4 pints of oil it's not normal. Waiting your tips about that.

$tef

Old 05-04-2008, 12:06 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! BREATHER OIL LEAK!!

Sounds like your engine "wet sumped" or you have your breather hose on the wrong fitting (you said you did some work on it so maybe you hooked up a hose wrong). Did your oil tank level mysteriously drop while you were working on it or as it sat in storage? If it did, it has "wet sumped." Not sure about your particular engine but there used to be a little drain plug for the crankcase on the left side of the bike below the primary cover that would allow one to drain the crankcase. If you do have the plug, be very careful removing and installing it (ya don't want to booger it up). Otherwise you'll just have to crank the engine and let it pump out. You will need to address the check valve ball in the oil pump to get it to stop oil flow to the crankcase when not running.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:06 PM
FXB_Rider
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well. i don't make error in my oil hose routing. Maybe it's the ball valve!!! What this ball make exactly when the bike running.....After a couple of minutes in idle the oil stop to flow but at about 2500 RPM oil continue to flow. I'ts normal?? Thks again to all....

$tef

Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 PM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you let the bike get to operating temp?

replace the little bit of oil that has escaped out the breather and warm the bike up to operating temp and see if it stops.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: FXB_Rider

Well. i don't make error in my oil hose routing. Maybe it's the ball valve!!! What this ball make exactly when the bike running.....After a couple of minutes in idle the oil stop to flow but at about 2500 RPM oil continue to flow. I'ts normal?? Thks again to all....

$tef
NO or very little oil should come from the breather.
remove the plug, spring and ball clean and inspect and if not already done replace the spring and check ball. To re-seat the ball seat take the OLD ball, install it, take a drift punch and very lightly tap the ball to re-seat then remove the old ball clean again and install the new ball and spring.
thats where I would start.
you might also inspect the pressure valve.
Be sure not to over fill you oil bag or this will cause unwanted pressure.
I run my 68 FLH 1/2 Qt low and have never had a problem with oiling
keep us posted on what you find