Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

re wire

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
cohokiller
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re wire

how hard would it be to re wire a 74 flh? does anyone have any diagrams i could follow? thank you

Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
crampfan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heheh, depends on how you are at wiring. no it's not real difficult, but if you are not mechanical it could be a mess. unless you are doing a restoration, I would recommend simplifying the wiring (simple is much more reliable) When I am doing a custom job, I always solder and heat shrink all the connections, never use any blade connectors if possible, there are a few company's that sell wiring harness to fit, but I feel they are very over priced. (what isn't for a harley anymore)

Old 09-12-2008, 09:53 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Crampfan is correct it is not difficult. If you are not doing a restoration I would definitely simplify the wiring. The 66 to 69 wiring diagram is much simpler than the later FLH wiring diagrams. The early bikes had a circuit board in the headlight that you can connect the wires with bolts and nuts. The later circuit board required pin connectors and has about 50 wires going to it. Even the early diagram is much more complicated than needed. Your service manual should have the stock wiring diagrams. Soldered connections are mush better than just crimping them. If you are not buying a ready made harness, make sure you acquire enough different colored wires to match your wiring diagram. Nothing is worse than trying to trace an electrical problem when the previous owner wired it all in black. Also use the proper gauge wire for each circuit.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 09-12-2008, 03:28 PM
crampfan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL easyrider......I haven't seen that one in years! hOOt!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
Crampfan is correct it is not difficult. If you are not doing a restoration I would definitely simplify the wiring. The 66 to 69 wiring diagram is much simpler than the later FLH wiring diagrams. The early bikes had a circuit board in the headlight that you can connect the wires with bolts and nuts. The later circuit board required pin connectors and has about 50 wires going to it. Even the early diagram is much more complicated than needed. Your service manual should have the stock wiring diagrams. Soldered connections are mush better than just crimping them. If you are not buying a ready made harness, make sure you acquire enough different colored wires to match your wiring diagram. Nothing is worse than trying to trace an electrical problem when the previous owner wired it all in black. Also use the proper gauge wire for each circuit.
not wanting to open a new thread here...
I will (sometime this year) rewire my bike, simplifying everything.
Cone shovel, kick only, no turn signals
What's the right wire gauge to do it? Is there one wire gauge I can use for the whole bike?
thank

Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,045 Likes on 17,526 Posts

Originally Posted by V_twins
not wanting to open a new thread here...
I will (sometime this year) rewire my bike, simplifying everything.
Cone shovel, kick only, no turn signals
What's the right wire gauge to do it? Is there one wire gauge I can use for the whole bike?
thank
I use 12ga for the big power wires from the battery to the breakers , main tab on the switch and to the feed side of the lights & starter relays everything else can be 16ga . If you use the handlebar switches and relays those can go down to 18ga for easy handling . Without turn signals wiring a bike is pretty simple and I do recommend you use at least a main circuit breaker off the battery and relay for the lights if you run the big 7" or high output bulbs .

Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 PM
V_twins
Road Captain

circuit brakers are planned and 1 switch on the handlebar for lights
Headlight is an old spotlight with a 30/30W sealed beam.
4 or 6 bullet lights as rear/stop lights
thanks

Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,575 Likes on 2,896 Posts

think about it this way -- if you have ever used a map to find a street than you can use a wire diagram to fine a bulb --

its not rocket $hit its wires to bulbs and on off switches and they are all different colors - jz

Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 PM
V_twins
Road Captain

I follow wiring diagrams with no problems... just didn't know the proper gauge

Quick Reply: re wire