Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM
AZfault
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaks!

I have read quite a few posts about shovels leaking regardless of what you do. I just got my late brothers 68 FLH back from my mechanic. He took the top end down, put new rings and gaskets in it, and measured and checked the cylinder walls while it was apart. he said the walls looked good, and didn't need to be machined. I rode the bike home and around town a bit. I noticed oil leaking from the base of the rear cylinder on the right side. what could be causing this? The mechanic also told me that the tranny seal was leaking and may need to be replaced. He said it had been dry for along time (10 years) and may self seal after getting soaked. Is this likely? What type of nightmare am I looking at if I attempt this by myself in a parking lot, with minimal tools, and little mechanical experience?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

keep an eye on the oil level an ride it. go through an tighten everything up once in a while an see how it goes. I got my shovel a few months ago an it hadn't been ridden regularly an it gets better.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AZfault
I have read quite a few posts about shovels leaking regardless of what you do. I just got my late brothers 68 FLH back from my mechanic. He took the top end down, put new rings and gaskets in it, and measured and checked the cylinder walls while it was apart. he said the walls looked good, and didn't need to be machined. I rode the bike home and around town a bit. I noticed oil leaking from the base of the rear cylinder on the right side. what could be causing this? The mechanic also told me that the tranny seal was leaking and may need to be replaced. He said it had been dry for along time (10 years) and may self seal after getting soaked. Is this likely? What type of nightmare am I looking at if I attempt this by myself in a parking lot, with minimal tools, and little mechanical experience?
Shovels don't have to leak! I rebuilt my '79 and she doesn't leak a drop, not from the primary, tranny or engine. She's still holding after 35,000 miles or so. Not sure how much oil you're losing on your base gasket. If the surface just appears wet and it's not really flowing, I would try to tighten the bolts and live with it until the next time the jugs come off. If it's a lot of oil, well, maybe time to take them off. As far as the tranny seal, there is actually a Harley Service Bulletin out there somewhere with really good instruction how to stop those leaks. I don't have a copy but saw it when we redid my trans, stopped the leaking completely. In a parking lot with minimal tools and minimal experience? Not sure about this, yes it can be done, for sure you are going to have to have some mechanical knowledge, the right tools to do the job and a SERVICE MANUAL. Did I mention you should have a SERVICE MANUAL? In case I forget, I should mention you should buy a SERVICE MANUAL. You got the part about the manual, right?

Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM
AZfault
Novice

Anyone with the link to that service bulletin would be my new hero.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:30 AM
skully_68
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i got my shovel pretty oil tight, i hate oil leaks lol now that im bragging about it i will go out there thismorning and there will be a big ol puddle under the bitch lol,about the base leak i would take it back to the mechanic that worked on it he had to pull the jugs to ring it

Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, the base gasket might not be ther leaker - check your tappet box gaskets too. A right side leak gotta be one or the other. Clean the base with brake cleaner and around the tappet box and fire it up - a few minutes should tell ya - tappet box or base gaskets. Make sure its not coming from the oil lines feeding the rocker boxes - remember oil like water will find a way to flow and puddle where you THINK the leak is but its really coming from above...
ShovelheadGreg

Old 09-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Super76
Novice

Y'all are lucky. I never seen or owned a shovel that didn't leak.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
AZfault
Novice

My mechanic already said he would pull the top end off and fix the leak. Is he gonna have to replace the rings? I have also had 3 different people who seem knowledgable ask me about why red silicon was visible at the base gasket, exhaust gasket, and elsewhere. I don't have the answer, but a guy who owns a local shop said the silicone can bulge inside the way it does outside, and then break loose and clog somewhere. Is there a legit reason for putting a bead of silicon on the various gaskets on a harley top end? Is this dependant on the type of gaskets he used? I have been reading about cometic gaskets. They are supposed to create a great seal, and should not be used with any sealant. Any recomendations?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:33 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AZfault
My mechanic already said he would pull the top end off and fix the leak. Is he gonna have to replace the rings? I have also had 3 different people who seem knowledgable ask me about why red silicon was visible at the base gasket, exhaust gasket, and elsewhere. I don't have the answer, but a guy who owns a local shop said the silicone can bulge inside the way it does outside, and then break loose and clog somewhere. Is there a legit reason for putting a bead of silicon on the various gaskets on a harley top end? Is this dependant on the type of gaskets he used? I have been reading about cometic gaskets. They are supposed to create a great seal, and should not be used with any sealant. Any recomendations?
The rings should at least be checked as well as the cylinders to make sure they're in spec. As far as the red silicone, lots of guys used the red hi-temp silicone and still do. I've used it on occassion around the exhaust gaskets, maybe the primary cover, but never on base or head gaskets, these should seal without the need for any silicone. Cometic gaskets are good, as are many others. Buy a good top end gasket kit, you'll be good to go, shouldn't have to use the goo.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,989 Likes on 17,500 Posts

What ever you do to the bike when ever a gasket is changed get newer style metal/silicon gaskets not the older paper ones if you can avoid it . Gasket quality for shovels has taken a serious dump in the last few years most are a step above trash , the metal ones cost more but they don't blow out in 6 months . Rocker box's & cyl. base gaskets are the biggies for leakers . Only place silicon should even be considered is a bit on leaky exhaust flanges and use the Ultra grey not the red stuff , maybe a bit on cheap primary gaskets nowhere else .

Quick Reply: Oil leaks!