Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Best Battery to use??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Samz74
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Battery to use??

Hey everyone...I have a '74 FLH and was wondering what is the best battery to use on my bike? I currently am using a YUASA YHD-12H. Is there a better battery I should/could use. This one has 240 CCA (I think). Thanks...

Old 12-07-2010, 01:46 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Check out the glass matte gel batteries these guys sell $74 for the big FL ones and they are the **** .

http://www.jirehcycles.com/

Part# 1-141
Description
BATTERY FL & FLH Sportster 1965 Battery

FL & FLH Sportster. Electric start 1967/1978, except XLCR. Thunderbolt AGM.

Ultima's AGM Thunderbolt batteries are the highest performance batteries we offer today. These are an industry first, with a direct fit aftemarket replacement for OEM #65989-97A. These batteries provide some of the highest power ratings available in the aftermarke

Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Check out the glass matte gel batteries these guys sell $74 for the big FL ones and they are the **** .

http://www.jirehcycles.com/

Part# 1-141
Description
BATTERY FL & FLH Sportster 1965 Battery

FL & FLH Sportster. Electric start 1967/1978, except XLCR. Thunderbolt AGM.

Ultima's AGM Thunderbolt batteries are the highest performance batteries we offer today. These are an industry first, with a direct fit aftemarket replacement for OEM #65989-97A. These batteries provide some of the highest power ratings available in the aftermarke
+1 on this. Best thing I ever did to my 65 FLH

Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Samz74
Intermediate

Great.....thanks for the input. I'll check them out. Hopefully they have higher CCA's.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:19 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

I haven't looked at the Ultima battery yet, but there's also this one.

http://www.scorpionbattery.com/power...es/yix28l.html

Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

It's the same battery just a different sticker on it , the Ultima is $30 cheaper . May work out to the same with shipping . Thing with Jireh is orders over $300 shipping is free

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-09-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

Actually, I sent an e-mail off asking for the specs on the Ultima battery, because I couldn't find them anywhere and need to get a new battery for mine again soon. The Ultima battery is a full 2" shorter at 6", and only 280 CCA compared to the Scorpion at 380CCA and 8" long. They share the same height and width and have the same terminal design, however.

Update: I sent another e-mail asking where the Ultima battery is made, because I would like to buy something that was made in the US, and I already know that the scorpion is made in China. I'm thinking that the Scorpion is going to end up in mine, because finding an American made equivalent is going to be impossible.

Last edited by d_slat; 12-09-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by d_slat
Actually, I sent an e-mail off asking for the specs on the Ultima battery, because I couldn't find them anywhere and need to get a new battery for mine again soon. The Ultima battery is a full 2" shorter at 6", and only 280 CCA compared to the Scorpion at 380CCA and 8" long. They share the same height and width and have the same terminal design, however.

Update: I sent another e-mail asking where the Ultima battery is made, because I would like to buy something that was made in the US, and I already know that the scorpion is made in China. I'm thinking that the Scorpion is going to end up in mine, because finding an American made equivalent is going to be impossible.

May have quoted you the wrong specs or they have the wrong part number on the web page maybe , I download the catalog much better . The one's I've used are the exact same size as the OEM battery at 380 CCA . Both those batteries come from the same supplier in china they just get a brand sticker slapped on them here stateside . I've got at least 7 of them out in bikes right now and all the owners are happy campers .

Good luck any way you go , choices are a good thing .

PS : you can get a US made battery somewhat similar but the cost is going to be double at least and no gain in life expectancy .

Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 PM
slarson
Tourer

I have checked this web site and was wondering if you have ordered anything else from them. I'm looking to get some rims from them but how is the quality of the chrome. Any words for me

Old 12-09-2010, 09:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by slarson
I have checked this web site and was wondering if you have ordered anything else from them. I'm looking to get some rims from them but how is the quality of the chrome. Any words for me

The Jerih catalog in really a supplier called MidWest Cycle , they will produce their cat with any shop name on it for a price .
I've used there stuff pushing 25+ yrs , most is import but decent quality for the prices . Most of the chrome stuff is ok and will not be up to dealer standards but from what I've seen with Custom Chrome anymore it's par with that . As for the wheels , the spoke ones are fine get SS spokes if you can just don't expect show bike quality for $200 or under , they have cheap import bearing so change them to US made stuff from the same catalog they are cheap .

I use them almost exclusively for all my hard motor and trans. rebuild & repair part for the older bikes , 1/3 to 1/2 or more off the the prices in other catalogs . I actually like their rods sets over S&S doing stock rebuilds $160 vrs $350+ and I've got a bucket full of crapped S&S rods , none of the cheaper ones .

Go a step over the $100 wheels , you will be happier . I put a set of the Ultima 4.00 " x 16 wheels on a 73 shovel fit nice and made for a fat tire profile , sweet .

Quick Reply: Best Battery to use??