Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

38mm mikuni vm

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:09 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 38mm mikuni vm

38mm mikuni vm round slide-- anyone know anything about jetting on these?? i wanna put one on a 1979 FXE 80" -- please no "get a S&S,ect

i need SERIOUS answers please...

actually im doing a project that has two 38mm mikunis (1 per head) but just knowing the jetting for 1 on a 80 inch will help....

Old 04-21-2012, 09:33 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biginchhustler
38mm mikuni vm round slide-- anyone know anything about jetting on these?? i wanna put one on a 1979 FXE 80" -- please no "get a S&S,ect

i need SERIOUS answers please...

actually im doing a project that has two 38mm mikunis (1 per head) but just knowing the jetting for 1 on a 80 inch will help....
You might want to do a search on this site. There was another guy here about a month ago with dual Mikuni tuning issues on his shovel. I'ld PM him and get some insight as to what he is running.
Just my .02!!
Post some pics when ya get it done! Dual carbs look dam good to me, but I dont have the patience to try it myself.
Good Luck,
jim

Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default dual

tell me about it.. the heads are ready to be ported and flowed.. lots of tig work.. cut all 4 ports off. moved the intake ports over 3/4" and filled the ports in with weld.. the rear head (its a front head) the exhaust port for this one went through serious alterations... its been totally removed and now the port is in line with the valve pocket. the pipe comes out to the left side.. i have 2 bolt flanges welded on the front/front head exhaust and 2 bolt flanges welded on both intakes... i have custom made intake tubes that bolt up to the heads. cant weld them to the head if you do you cant service the heads.. all new rowe valve seats/guides - ferrea valves -- the pipes are on the left side and they have a merge collector ("X" pipe) -- they finish with finisher cones off of a 2001 honda prelude as they actually are anti reversion cones-- leinweber made the L3S cam for me -- i have a crazy frank rear fender section and i made the oil take into the rear fender.. the filler cap is above the rear tail light.. the battery box was removed and turned sideways under the seat.. i needed clearance for the rear carb -- the throttle cable is a dual cable into 1 off of a 1980 el tigra jet ski -- fits like it was made for it.. i have a KOSO exhaust gas temp guage (dual) theres welded on bungs on the pipes and the guage sits between the riser. really small guage its like 4" X 2" but really clear --- this will get me in the ball park with jetting as if you run the bike and the temps say 1100 on the front and 900 on the rear you know the rear is to rich.. low speed and idle is what im after... this isnt my first dual head set up .. i had pans and kuncks with 2 carbs... theres a guy on the XLFOURM -- PINIONGEAR hes really sharp with mikunis but for ironheads -- doesnt matter all i need is a heads up for jetting on 74's and 80"