Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:47 AM
DanMan1
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch slipping?

Well went out for the maiden voyage yesterday. It rides nice. All was good. Then I left a friends house and while taking off and shifting gears it seems like the transmission or clutch was slipping. I am hoping it is just a clutch adjustment as I have just had the inner primary seal replace. If I hold the clutch in a longer than normal and then shift it seems to work better. But 3rd gear seems to slip a little when giving it some throttle. I might point out I have basic mechanical skills (carpenter) but I am learning. I know I know I have a Shovel and better learn quick. Hopefully one of the Guru's could point me in the right direction. I am hoping it is just a simple clutch adjustment. I might add there is no 1/4" of play in the clutch lever it seems solid right from the get go. Wondering if I should loosen the clutch adjustment or tighten it. If this is the issue.
Thank you in advance.
PS 4 speed no kicker. 77 FLH 18,825 orig miles

Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 AM
Purple Thunder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 18,000 miles

what a find. had one similar to that at one time. I suggest since you are a carpenter, that you invest in a shop manual for your particular bike. Might even find one on here. some of the pictures are worth a thousand words. probably the clutch rod adjustment and not the cable, but a 77 with 18,000 could just need to be ridden.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Turn the nuts 1 extra turn

Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,547 Likes on 2,880 Posts

if someone just had the primary off and your lever is solid to the pearch -- Than the clutch adjustment of off -- easy fix

take the derby cover only - unadjust the cable at the frame just enough so the lever is loosened = 1/4 inch is all you need -

the nut in the center of the clutch hub with the screw in it ( inside the derby cover hole )

we use an offset 9/16'' box - 6 or 8 inch wrench - put it on and with a mallet tap it in a counterclockwise direction till loose - than back out just a bit than ( loosen the screw till free ) than turn it in the screw just till the screw starts to contact the clutch operating rod ( what you want is no slack but no tenshion as well ) -- than hold the screw with the driver and using the 9 /16 again tap the wrench in a clockwise direction for it to be SNUG - people dont realize the screw has to be held or what you just adjusted goes away - than adjust the cable so as to have just a small amount of free play at the lever - what in the end with some give and take is no slippage and a netural - sometimes it is a balancing act so to speak - jz

Old 06-22-2013, 06:26 PM
DanMan1
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for all the info. I do have a factory manual for it. Just do not want to Wuck it up (install an F).