Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SUPER Sporty Transformation...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:50 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by obz
Nash Pudgy Gimps just showed up. Only went 12" since I liked the height on other bikes. Not sure what size of cabling I'm going to need quite yet. Have to see once I get everything together. Probably will do +4 just to be safe. Also allows for a little bit of upgrade for the next owner if they want to get a little more height.
Fwiw, here's what I used when went to 12" bars on my Sporty. Everything looks nice and neat without too much slack. Maybe you can use it for reference:

Clutch Cable (6" over stock): Magnum Shielding in Black Pearl (Pt#42256HE)
Brake Line: Magnum Shielding EZ Align 48" in Black Pearl (Pt#46648SW)
Extended Wiring: NAMZ +8" Pt# NHCX-M08 (probably could have eeked by with +6")
Throttle/Idle Cables: Stock length

The following users liked this post:
obz (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 10:57 PM
obz
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBettyXLC
Fwiw, here's what I used when went to 12" bars on my Sporty. Everything looks nice and neat without too much slack. Maybe you can use it for reference:

Clutch Cable (6" over stock): Magnum Shielding in Black Pearl (Pt#42256HE)
Brake Line: Magnum Shielding EZ Align 48" in Black Pearl (Pt#46648SW)
Extended Wiring: NAMZ +8" Pt# NHCX-M08 (probably could have eeked by with +6")
Throttle/Idle Cables: Stock length
I'm surprised it needs that kind of length. Seems like I went +6 with my 14" on the custom I did, but then again I could be confusing it with another bike. Thanks for all that info! Glad I didn't order anything yet.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:23 PM
obz
Road Captain

Little bit of work done today. Took longer than expected. Stupid in/lbs torque wrench broke, so I had to pick up a new one. Plus the brake lever I got was missing the internal bushing so it's all floppy on the peg. Had to order that from Harley. Oh well. Anyway, pics below:

Right hand control housing and buttons replaced:

Before...

After...

Thing is so fenagley but got it done. Then replaced all of the bolts on Cam and Primary covers:

Also replaced belt guard with "bullet hole" guard and new rear shocks from a Nightster (will drop it about 2.5 inches)...

Old 06-10-2017, 09:23 PM
BlackBettyXLC
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Lookin good and comin together clean! I'm gonna be doin the buckshot guard on my bike eventually. It'll match the holes on my Road 6 handlebars and the levers that I'll be gettin soon.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:46 PM
obz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BlackBettyXLC
Lookin good and comin together clean! I'm gonna be doin the buckshot guard on my bike eventually. It'll match the holes on my Road 6 handlebars and the levers that I'll be gettin soon.
Thanks man, yeah it's coming slow but steady. Once I put everything back on that I can, it'll go to paint and powder. Hoping to get that done in the next couple weeks. Yeah I bet the guard would match really well. I picked it up off of eBay for $40 new, so it doesn't have to be super expensive. I did it because the one I pulled off was in pretty rough shape - rusting and what not. Figured I'd add some style while I was at it.

Old 06-11-2017, 05:20 PM
obz
Road Captain

Put the coil and ignition relocation kit on and the new cables. I think I cut them a little too short, but oh well. Oh and there's NO way that the petcock and the ignition relocation will work together. I've emailed DK Customs to see if I can get the other kit that mounts it behind the rear cylinder.

Also got the intake manifold mounted back up with new rubber washers. The ones on there were falling apart!

Also got the front sprocket guard mounted back up. Looks good.

One more thing done, finished swapping over the left side controls to the new housing and with the new switch covers. Looks new!

Old 06-12-2017, 03:15 PM
onelocoman
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by obz
I like to build golf carts too and I LOVED the paint scheme on the last one I built. I've attached it below...

Very cool matte grey metallic. I SUPER dug it on my cart and I think it'd look awesome on Sporty tins.

Thats one badass golf cart!!! Just popped in for the first time.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:49 PM
obz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by onelocoman
Thats one badass golf cart!!! Just popped in for the first time.
Thanks man. When I'm not working on other stuff like my truck and bikes I have fun doing carts. This is what it started out like, so you could say it was a pretty big transformation...

Old 06-18-2017, 06:23 PM
obz
Road Captain

Got some stuff today and split out the parts that are going to paint vs the parts going to powder. I'm surprised that there's not more, but then again I just bought some parts so that I wouldn't have to. Anyway I was out there for about 6 hours and it doesn't seem like much, but good progress. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to run the wires through the handlebars... not too bad considering what I've heard others say (~8 hrs). Going to get wiring, clutch, and throttle cables now that I've checked lengths. Love these bars by the way. They are SICK! Anyway, pics below:

Bars mocked up:

Right foot controls back together:

Left foot controls put back together with new shifter:

New BLACK rear brake:

Handlebar wiring run:

Yeah, I taped them down so they wouldn't accidentally run back through. Probably unnecessary, but after all that work the last thing I want is having to do it again...

Also, this is the THIRD time I've tried to put the exhaust on. This time I was fouled up by a bent circlet off the original pipes. I should have checked. Looks like a drive down to Harley to get 2 new ones. Stupid...

Old 06-18-2017, 06:33 PM
obz
Road Captain

Oh and if you couldn't tell I also mounted up the new triple trees. I like the black a lot! Also did some measurements for drilling for the new custom headlight mount. Should looks pretty sweet once I get it powdered!

Quick Reply: My SUPER Sporty Transformation...