Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why doesn't harley fix their problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:02 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts
Default why doesn't harley fix their problems ?

we were sitting around talking last night and the question came up to as why HD does not address the problems with their touring bikes ? are they that greedy or just don't care ?

wheel bearings
compensators
shifting flywheels
left side engine case bearing
beathers slobbering oil
the updates for the boom systems
and many other problems

we were thinking if what a really great bike harley's would be if they fixed these issues. i wouldn't ride anything else, but it seems the newer they get the more cheap crap they are installing on them. HD if you are listening , FIX THIS **** ! or more customers may move on.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:23 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I don't have those problems, besides where would YOU move? Harley invented big touring bikes, they are king of the road. Harley is very popular in my area, don't see many other big touring bikes on the road, I think they have a good handle on it.

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (08-18-2018)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:36 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 395 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
we were sitting around talking last night and the question came up to as why HD does not address the problems with their touring bikes ? are they that greedy or just don't care ?

wheel bearings
compensators
shifting flywheels
left side engine case bearing
beathers slobbering oil
the updates for the boom systems
and many other problems

we were thinking if what a really great bike harley's would be if they fixed these issues. i wouldn't ride anything else, but it seems the newer they get the more cheap crap they are installing on them. HD if you are listening , FIX THIS **** ! or more customers may move on.
Anything good to say? Move on and enjoy your new Yamaha!

Hate Work (08-18-2018)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:42 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

I agree on the front wheel bearings but you can change them cheap at every tire change.

The other problems you have listed are brought on by modifications. I bet most with stock bikes have few if any issues.

I was complaining to my dad once who was a service writer for a car dealership about my BMW spending a lot of time in the shop. He told me, you bought a high performance vehicle, get used to it.

HD also knows that a majority of their bikes rarely see any real mileage anyway and become garage queens. Notice all the posts that think that anything over 10,000 miles is high mileage? I have a new co worker that asked about my bike that I ride every day. He started telling my about how much he loves his 02 Fat Boy. Then he told me he's got over 2,100 miles on it. He crapped his pants when I told him my 08 had 122,000 and my 13 had 31,000.

Goose_NC (05-06-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:44 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Once again I feel left out. I don't have any of those problems.

The following 3 users liked this post by IzzoQuazzo:
fullautomike (04-30-2017), FXDXTSport (08-10-2018), Heritage07 (08-11-2018)
Old 04-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Once again I feel left out. I don't have any of those problems.
Me three .......

Old 04-30-2017, 12:53 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 358 Posts

All of the ones I had /have are fixed! Lucky me I guess.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:54 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I was complaining to my dad once who was a service writer for a car dealership about my BMW spending a lot of time in the shop. He told me, you bought a high performance vehicle, get used to it.
Had a friend who bought a brand new Ducati Diavel, it was leaking oil within two months...

Old 04-30-2017, 01:00 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

i'm on my 7th hd. never have I had any of those problems with the exception of the breather bolts on my sportster leaking after I did a se stage 1. I knew it was going to happen, so I wasn't upset about it, took it as a response to what I did. I alleviated the problem by sticking a maxi pad in the bottom of my ham can. changed it out at every oil change.

otherwise, I've had a couple of problems that were taken care of during warranty, but nothing that I've read that would be considered 'chronic'.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:06 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

It's easy to sit and chat about the seemingly never ending problems with HD, and sometimes this forum supports that even with newer bikes. BMW ranks worst with HD a notch ahead in reliability. Each brand has issues, and evidently Harley has a few more, like 50% more than Yamaha which was rated 1st on the slide.
But, I do enjoy my bike(s), and when stuff goes wrong, well, it's time to learn and if within your abilities...fix it.

What does irritate me though is Harley's ever so sensitive electronics. BAS, TSSM, etc., simple things that when they fail, leave you stranded. That irritating oil drip? Won't strand you.
Those two things mentioned seem to be aplenty yes, and could they be improved upon...most likely. But they're issues I have contended with as an HD owner, and that's just the way it is. Sometimes I wished the MoCo would just eliminate those irritants as they seem items born to fail for my money. But modern technologies exist for a reason I guess, and they're not going backwards at this point.

My '02 has been good to me. TSSM has failed once....went with the TSM after that...fuel gauge failed in 11K miles...replaced. Not too bad in my opinion.

Quick Reply: why doesn't harley fix their problems ?