Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Up shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Sghdowner
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Up shifting

Hello
I have a 2014 Street Glide 103. When I up shift I can feel the gears fighting back. Almost like it’s not synced right. The clutch seems to be disengaging ok while stopped but just seems to be coming up short while up shifting. I change all fluids regularly. Any ideas?

Old 11-18-2017, 04:50 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Sounds like clutch adjustment...but wait....isn't yours a Hydraulic Clutch, that isn't adjustable?

Are you using proper transmission and primary lube as per the owner's manual? And are both filled to the proper level?

Old 11-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Sounds like clutch adjustment...but wait....isn't yours a Hydraulic Clutch, that isn't adjustable?

Are you using proper transmission and primary lube as per the owner's manual? And are both filled to the proper level?
That would be my question also. I've noticed a difference in what type of Trans Fluid I run, so now I stick to Redline Shockproof or Amsoil Severe Gear.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Sghdowner
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

It is hydraulic and I have double checks the fluid levels. It feels like it’s not disengaging enough while shifting. While stopped the clutch feels like it’s working great. I have to let the clutch out half way before it starts to catch.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:26 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

do a search on "preload shifter"

Old 11-18-2017, 05:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Sghdowner
I have to let the clutch out half way before it starts to catch.
that part is normal. in fact, that's one of the big complaints of the hd hydraulic clutch, people feel like they have to let it too far out before it starts to catch.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:39 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Try spraying some dry lube on the shifting links.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:54 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
Try spraying some dry lube on the shifting links.
That is where I would look for the problem. Always start with the easiest stuff, visual inspection of linkage.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

New problem or just recent issues?
Keeping it simple initially is good advice.
So here’s another simple one;
Got new boots?
Which shift method do you use, toe up or heal down when upshifting? On my EG, I prefer toe up, but heal down yields a considerably smoother shift. When using toe up, on occasion I’ll have my boot under the shifter getting ready to pull, but there is enough upward pressure to pop it out of gear as soon as I start to pull the lever in. I guess it’s a brain/hand/lifting the foot to shift timing issue for me (all of which are becoming a challenge for me because according to some...I have no brain).

Old 11-19-2017, 06:19 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

How many miles? Stored inside or outside? How do you wash it, high pressure car wand, garden hose, or some other way?

Around 25,000 miles the ball joints at each end of the shift rod are prone to failure. They might be binding shortly before failure. Replacing the ball joints with Heim joints (spherical rod ends) is a popular upgrade.

Storage and washing, parked outside or washing with high force water, the pivot rod on which the heel and toe shifter arms are mounted can have dry bushings also causing extra force to be needed for a clean shift.

Finally, check the shift arms at both ends of the linkage for tightness on their respective shafts, especially the one on the transmission.. If they have never been tightened, I can almost guaranty there will be some slop on the shaft. Tighten and lube everything and get back with us.

Quick Reply: Up shifting