Frame/Suspension/Front End/Brakes Discussions for your ride comfort and braking power.

ABS Recall Caused loss of ABS Function at Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts
Default ABS Recall Caused loss of ABS Function at Dealer

In deference to another thread I intruded upon with an ABS issue, start at post #38 here

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ake-fluid.html

then come back here for the hopeful resolution.

OK Ed, I removed the ECM and waited a while. After I reconnected I pulled the following codes.

P0134
P0154

Front and rear O2 sensors that are in open loop.

P1475 and P1477

I assume that also has to do with the tune as I don't have an international model.

no rsp under the b.

Hard ABS fault light, not blinking after re-assembly.

At this point, I'm ready to call it good and take the bike to Daytona. I know I won't have ABS but the brakes work fine. Do you see any reason why I shouldn't?

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 03-11-2018 at 06:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
davidstipek (04-05-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
In deference to another thread I intruded upon with an ABS issue, start at post #38 here

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ake-fluid.html

then come back here for the hopeful resolution.

OK Ed, I removed the ECM and waited a while. After I reconnected I pulled the following codes.

P0134
P0154

Front and rear O2 sensors that are in open loop.

P1475 and P1477

I assume that also has to do with the tune as I don't have an international model.

no rsp under the b.

Hard ABS fault light, not blinking after re-assembly.

At this point, I'm ready to call it good and take the bike to Daytona. I know I won't have ABS but the brakes work fine. Do you see any reason why I shouldn't?
In your tune turn off active exhaust.

O2 codes are set even is fuel table is in open loop if o2s are removed/unplugged.

Sounds to me like you will need to troubleshoot which connection was damaged - I would be poking around where the dealer disturbed. It would be odd that the module failed communication wise because they hooked up.

Regarding safety - that is your call. Apparently the dealer let you drive it away with no concerns. ABS is disabled at this point.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 03-11-2018 at 06:45 PM.
davidstipek (04-05-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I went back through my files when ABS was new in 2008. In addition to all we have discussed, I have a note about the cluster sensing no communication and keeping light on. Was the tank console off recently - any possibility of a poor connection under there?

davidstipek (04-05-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Got it, I'll turn off active exhaust.

I'll start looking again tomorrow for everywhere I figure they were. If nothing changes, I'll probably load it and go. Thanks for helping me.

davidstipek (04-05-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

You're welcome. If you were local I'd gladly assist. I know what it's like to be leaving for a trip and have a problem pop up. Ironically I was in Ohio instructing electrical tech classes all week last week.

davidstipek (04-05-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
You're welcome. If you were local I'd gladly assist. I know what it's like to be leaving for a trip and have a problem pop up. Ironically I was in Ohio instructing electrical tech classes all week last week.
Tank and console was off in November and I re-installed it on 12-5-18 when I put the engine back in. Since that time I didn't have any ABS trouble and had ridden it several times since.

I think I'm good, it runs and rides; that'll get me to the Keys

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 03-11-2018 at 06:56 PM.
davidstipek (04-05-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Tank and console was off in November and I re-installed it on 12-5-18 when I put the engine back in. Since that time I didn't have any ABS trouble and had ridden it several times since.

Ok - have a safe trip

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 03-11-2018 at 07:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ed Ramberger:
Campy Roadie (03-12-2018), davidstipek (04-05-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by cficole:
Campy Roadie (03-27-2018), davidstipek (04-05-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 11:38 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I am kind of interested in this whole thread..I have a 11 FLHRC and since it was pretty much new (maybe 1 yr old) I have gotten a intermittent ABS light...took it to the dealer they reset it and said nothing was wrong and something along the lines of that it is just the nature of the beast...when the light comes on I find that turning off the power and restarting it makes it go away and if it comes on during a long ride it will just turn off after awhile ..Also using the brakes has nothing to do with it..I remember once driving on 70 across Kansas and it coming on for awhile and then turning off during the whole time never touching the brakes (using cruise control the whole time)....****, now this 'new' recall has got me worried...

davidstipek (04-05-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:57 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

A bit of an update but not a rant; it is what it is.

I got back from Daytona/the Keys (had a great time) and took my bike to the dealer yesterday to complete the recall they attempted on 3-11-18. The service writer at Queen City HD got me in without any trouble, without an appointment. I lounged around the waiting area while the tech who originally did my recall flush (but was unable to get it to communicate with DT-II) worked on it.

I wasn't there long before the service writer and tech came out to tell me that HD Tech Support had "linked in" to my bike while the tech had the DT-II unit attached. The sum total was the ABS Electronic Control Unit Part #40649-08 was bad and I didn't have ABS anymore. I'm actually quite proud of how I took it given that I had fully functioning ABS when I came in on 3-11-18 and 45 minutes later after the tech attempted to connect the bike to DT-II I didn't. This part is not the HCU which commonly fails and results in a hard pedal or lever, it's the electronic servo control unit. I change my brake fluid once every 12 months and have those services logged in a maintenance book. Regardless, the electronic unit is unaffected by DOT 4 fluid so that point is moot.

Cost for the part was quoted at just under $500.00 and then labor on top of that. The tech believes it is a firmware failure, he did not go so far as to say it was a result of the failed link to DT-II. Frankly, I don't blame him, that's how he feeds his family. The service writer gave me a reference number and the number to HD Customer Care so I called while I was there. I spoke to a woman who basically, but nicely, quoted the party line and said the recall was ONLY for a fluid flush and the failed part was on me. I explained my view of things again saying I had ABS and no trouble with my bike before I came to the dealer. I had flushed my brake fluid every 12 months and only came in to comply with the recall. The instant the dealer connected the DT-II I lost my ABS function and now I was on the hook for an expensive repair of a system with a dubious design. Her reply was the same but she was pleasant in her response. I told her I wanted someone else to take a look at the case and she agreed to do so. At this point I'm waiting for a call back that according her should come within the next day or so.

I'm contacting NHTSA this morning to file a complaint, not so much for me, but for the next person who goes in for the recall and meets with a similar situation. I don't want HD to have the ability to say "this is the first time this has happened". Frankly, if HD says they won't pay for the repair completely and/or NHTSA doesn't make them, I know what I'm going to do; I will completely remove the system.

I'm kind of surprised how I'm taking all this. I guess I expected this kind of response from HD so that makes it easier. I'm not here to whip anybody into a frenzy or start a Gofundme account for my tale of woe. I'm passing on something that if I were going in for the brake recall and my bike was working fine, I'd want to know. If I knew then what I know now; I wouldn't have taken my bike to the dealer and ignored the recall.

I'll update when I have more info.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 03-27-2018 at 06:50 AM.
davidstipek (04-05-2018)

Quick Reply: ABS Recall Caused loss of ABS Function at Dealer