Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 05:46 PM
msengel
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Oil Capacity?

For some time I have tried to find a satisfactory answer to my question about oil capacity. I have a 2011 Road King Classic and while the manual states it takes 4 quarts of oil with a filter change, I have never been able to get near 4 quarts of oil out of the engine. What am I doing wrong? I check the oil level often. While both the service and owners manual state to check oil while on the jiffy stand, neither publication says what position the bike needs to be in for an oil change. I have tried both upright and on the jiffy stand with similar results. Just want to make sure I am getting all of the used oil out. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Mongo1958 (05-11-2024)
Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

get the bike hot then come home and let it cool down to the point where you wont burn yourself on something. Drain out the oil then take the filter off, put the filter back on and fill the oil back up with 4 quarts, do this all on the side stand. Go have fun and dont worry about it.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,726 Likes on 5,226 Posts

You never get it all . And that system they sell to do it is a waste of time and money. Normally you will add about 3-31/2 quarts Straight up on on stand makes no difference in draining it. If it was been running allow it to idle bit before shut down let it sit thne drain it.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:05 PM
msengel
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, that helps. A bit weird since every other vehicle I have changed oil in there is no guessing. Not sure why HD designed or wrote it up this way?

Old 06-08-2018, 07:03 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

3 1/2 quarts with the filter, after a ride with bike level oil level should be midway in the etching, usually considered 1/2 quart low.
This reduces blowby to the air cleaner, and all goes well.
2011 RKC here too.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 465 Posts

The factory "capacity" is probably for a dry engine and dry filter. After that the amount of oil needed for a RE fill is totally dependent on how much oil came out. Typically that seems to be about 3 1/2 quarts but may be a little more or a little less. If you want to be sure you have enough oil on hand to complete the oil change, 4 quarts will be MORE than enough and will leave you with some left over in case you need to add a little later on. The "CAPACITY' of your gas tank is 6 gallons, but no one ever insists on pumping 6 gallons into a tank that only needs 4 1/2 gallons to fill. Same idea with the engine, transmission, and primary case.

A personal technique that makes me FEEL better but probably does little additional benefit: I start the drain (any of the three reservoirs) on the jiffy stand. When the flow is down to a trickle or just drips, I will lean the bike as far to the right as I can comfortably, hold it there briefly (my leg gets tired) and rock it back onto the stand. After 2 or three repeats, no more oil comes out when back on the stand. Put the plugs back in and fill until the dip stick is happy or the visual level is correct. I never know ahead of time how much that will take, but having the factory capacity amount on hand is always more than enough.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:31 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,232 Likes on 2,471 Posts

that's why the manual says to add x amount of oil, then check it and add as necessary. this is from my 2013 manual.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:55 AM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,089 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch

that's why the manual says to add x amount of oil, then check it and add as necessary. this is from my 2013 manual.
My 2014 manual has the same procedure. I have never had to add more than the 3 quarts, the level is about 1/3 to 1/2 way into the checked area on the dip stick. It makes no difference whether on the side stand or upright on a jack.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:03 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

As mentioned, stop short and check, a pattern will develop, and you will learn what to expect.
One of my trucks states 6 quart capacity, but at change time I drain it all, and put in 5 1/2 quarts and it is up to the full mark. Been doing this for 240,000 miles, same old same old each and every time.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:56 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 838 Posts

I do about 3 1/2....then ride it and check it later, add a touch if needed.

Followup question for all: how many folks fill up their new filter with oil before installing it on the bike?

Have read tech posts/articles on this elsewhere.....some strongly advise doing it but I rarely see it mentioned anywhere.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Capacity?