Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S T124 / Dakota Digital Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 06:38 AM
Scootrskum
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default S&S T124 / Dakota Digital Gauges

Anyone here running an S&S 124 in their bagger and using the Dakota Digital Gauges? I'm trying to figure out if the external oil lines are going to interfere with the oil temp sensor being installed in the oil drain hole. Looks to be very close fit....

Thanks

Old 05-21-2024, 09:22 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Not sure if this will help in your situation, but I installed my Dakota Digital oil sensor in the hole next to the oil drain plug so I don't have to mess with it every oil change. Is that a possibility for you?

The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJockey:
62hdbiker (06-05-2024), Ohio HD (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 09:49 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,707 Likes on 4,151 Posts

I have no experience with Dakota gauges or their required sensors/wiring.

I have a 124" S&S crate engine in my '16 bagger. Three oil lines come out of the engine in the area of the oil drain plug. Two run to the primary side of the oil tank, one uses the plug next to the oil drain plug.

Based on MotoJockey's pic above, the hole he uses is the one used by the oil line kit. The other oil lines are right above that plug. It's close in there, but the oil lines in no way impede my oil drain plug.

I don't suspect they would affect that sensor or sensor wire IF it could be installed in the oil drain plug.

I have another bike on my lift right now, but will get down on the floor and try to take a pic of this area on my bike and ad the pic a little later...

Last edited by hattitude; 05-21-2024 at 09:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 09:54 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Interested to see pics of the S&S oil line setup. I've not seen one before..........

Old 05-21-2024, 10:02 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Interested to see pics of the S&S oil line setup. I've not seen one before..........

Gotta feed the Great Danes first.... When combined 300lbs of Great Dane get hungry, HD pics come in second...

They won't let me in the shop until they get fed....

Last edited by hattitude; 05-21-2024 at 10:30 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by hattitude:
GalvTexGuy (05-21-2024), MotoJockey (05-21-2024), Ohio HD (05-21-2024), pyuchem (06-05-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 10:35 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
Gotta feed the Great Danes first.... When combined 300lbs of Great Dane get hungry, HD pics come in second...

They won't let me in the shop until they get fed....

Old 05-21-2024, 11:09 AM
Scootrskum
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hattitude
I have no experience with Dakota gauges or their required sensors/wiring.

I have a 124" S&S crate engine in my '16 bagger. Three oil lines come out of the engine in the area of the oil drain plug. Two run to the primary side of the oil tank, one uses the plug next to the oil drain plug.

Based on MotoJockey's pic above, the hole he uses is the one used by the oil line kit. The other oil lines are right above that plug. It's close in there, but the oil lines in no way impede my oil drain plug.

I don't suspect they would affect that sensor or sensor wire IF it could be installed in the oil drain plug.

I have another bike on my lift right now, but will get down on the floor and try to take a pic of this area on my bike and ad the pic a little later...
Correct, that's how my lines are run as well! The issue is the temp sensor is much longer than the stubby drain plug. It's a little over 1 1/2" from the base of the sensor against the oil pan to the end of the sensor, or so Dakota Digital has told me. Don't want to have to send a 1200$ gauge kit back and fight that issue if I don't have to. I can move push the lines around a little but not sure if it will allow the temp sensor to be installed.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2024, 11:32 AM
MotoJockey
Grand HDF Member

I had originally installed the sensor in the drain plug hole with no clearance issues, I just didn't want to remove it for each oil change. That being said, it should fit just fine. Have you tried it yet?

Old 05-21-2024, 11:45 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Obviously the OP doesn't need it, as he already has the oil lines, but.....

As promised, here is the pic. This is for others who may read this thread and wonder what the big deal is...

To the OP, as I was trying to get a good pic, I realized it's a little tighter than I remembered in that space. Certainly no problem for a drain plug, but a 1 1/2" sensor protruding from the oil drain...?That's a tough call.... I wouldn't gamble $1200 dollars on wondering about sensor fitment...

If your heart is set on the Dakota gauge package, ask them to sell you just a replacement sensor. Then there would be no guess work.

It will be much cheaper should it NOT fit, and you would have a spare sensor on hand if it DID fit... just a thought...

Forgive the dirt... I just got back from a trip, and the bagger is next up for full service and a detail. I always give my bikes a good cleaning before I do the service...

Last edited by hattitude; 05-21-2024 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MotoJockey (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 12:18 PM
Scootrskum
Intermediate

You and I are on the exact same page! That picture could have been taken of my oil line as it looks exactly the same. Thanks for posting as I was wondering if mine were installed differently. I'm about to agree with you. A 45$ sensor beats returning 1200$ gauges.

Quick Reply: S&S T124 / Dakota Digital Gauges