Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How loyal are you to HD in purchases?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:19 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts
Default How loyal are you to HD in purchases?

I have been building, working on, and riding Harleys for about 11 years. I have built shovels, ironheads and now own a twin cam. Recently I visited the local dealership that I use and asked if they could give me a print out of all the times I have spent money with them. 153 purchases not including my bike and some motor work I had don't 11 years ago. Total to day, was over $15,000. This was for accessories, oils, filters, parts etc etc. I knew I was in there a lot but wow it adds up. And this was not included the 2003 RKC I bought from them used three years ago. Just wondering how everyone else fares with their local shop in loyalty. The reason I posted this was that at one time they would give their good customers the odd little gift or promotion. That has been done away with up here in Canada. Maybe I didn't spend enough but 150+ visits and invoices shows I'm not a once in a while shopper either lol. Not looking for big freebies, but now and then a small token of appreciation or acknowledgment goes a long way.

randy

Old 06-23-2018, 10:30 AM
H20loo
Tourer
Received 264 Likes on 134 Posts

How many franchise owners in that time? Of course, 13 to 15% went to your wonderful government....

Old 06-23-2018, 10:36 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

When it comes to OEM parts, I'm very loyal to my local dealership. They have a rewards program which helps makes those decisions, of course, and they are only three miles from the house, which also helps. But as important, or maybe even more important, is the quality of the parts folks. They are knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to go the extra mile.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:41 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I shop where my dollar is welcome with courtesy and friendliness and knowledge.
Your not shopping at Barnes are you?
Recently dropped 3k on a wrist watch and the following week they sent out an invitation to a little show and tell of new models
at a bar downtown (Vancouver) with a complimentary cocktail and appies.
Two different life non-essentials , but big ticket items none the less.
Sounds like your shopping at a Car Dealership attempting to be a M/C Dealership that starts with the letter B.
And their Rewards Program sucks... they loose data once if not twice a year and takes forever to correct.
Rob

Last edited by CndUltra95; 06-23-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:46 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

The average new unit buyer spends $3850 within the first 90 days of ownership, on anything from performance/appearance or clothing at their selling dealership. So when the dealer sells you a new unit, they're counting on that add'l 4 grand in business pretty quick. Harley marketing is impressive.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:50 AM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

I own a small computer retail sales and service shop in Ontario. Like any business there are fast and slow times. I give little insentives now and then especially during the busy times so that when it slows down. you are more likely to still attract customers because you treated them well. I'm in a small agricultural area and the HD dealership is only about 10 miles away. The next closest is 80. I like going in there in the winter months cuz there isn't a lot to do with snow around except monkey and do stuff with the bike, That's when the majority of my purchase's get done when they are slow as well. I recently mentioned that they used to have the odd trinket give away and promotions. I was told Harley Canada did away with that. I don't know how true it is but you guys down south seem to have a lot more going for ya in that department.

randy

Old 06-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought a 2016 Road Glide in March and I'm at or near around $750 with the dealer.

Even though they treat me well it will be less in the coming years.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
The average new unit buyer spends $3850 within the first 90 days of ownership, on anything from performance/appearance or clothing at their selling dealership. So when the dealer sells you a new unit, they're counting on that add'l 4 grand in business pretty quick. Harley marketing is impressive.
When you look at margins, selling a new motorcycle doesn't make a dealership a whole lot. Selling used motorcycles makes them much more in terms of margins. But I've developed the opinion over the years that dealerships sell new units in order to attract customer to buy parts, accessories, clothing, and service. Now THAT's where the healthy margins are! I'd guess that parts, accessories, and clothing are about 100%, or slightly less, mark-up.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:40 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

[QUOTE=Veekness;17457421]When you look at margins, selling a new motorcycle doesn't make a dealership a whole lot. Selling used motorcycles makes them much more in terms of margins.

Not trying to bust you or anything,so don't kill me.
But using margins as a way of proving a point can sometimes be misleading, as it is in this case(my opinion only). A dealer selling a bike at MSRP will make a gross profit about $4000-5000 on a touring bike. That may be a 25% margin, but it's STILL $4000-5000 of CASH in the bank. Compare that to the 50% margin(for example) in clothing, etc. Did you spend $5000 in clothing along with the bike? I doubt it. At least, I never have. Now I know you don't buy a new bike every year, but you don't spend $5000 in clothing in 3 years either, do you? I mean every three years. You may have done it once.
Don't get fooled, Harley makes a TON off of bike sales. But I would venture to guess that they make as much, or more, off of the "required" maintenance and repairs that come up. Now that figure in a 3 year period could add up to some considerable change.. Ka ching!!
Does my analogy make any sense?

Old 06-23-2018, 12:26 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

Most parts I need, I use OEM, so my dealer gets first shot at it (a simple call for price and availability) If they are way outta the ball park, it then goes to an online retailer. Outta the ball park means online plus shipping/aggravation and waiting is more than 30% less cash. The motorclothes ladies all know us, and ask about the other if the wife or I go in solo, the parts guys have a clue, and have most of what I need on the shelf. I didnt buy my bike from them, but they do keep it running. If you dont support the locals when they need it, they wont be there to support you when you need it. Online has its place (like I say, when something is WAY outta the ball park pricewise), but local business needs supported for the instant gratification/ oh **** something just broke and I dont have a week to wait for it times.

Quick Reply: How loyal are you to HD in purchases?