General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Thrill Is Gone

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 12:36 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts
Default The Thrill Is Gone

I've been riding various bikes for the last 50 years, dirt, flat track racing, and road, including seven different Harley's over the last 18 years. Bikes have been my passion since I first rode two-up with my dad on his then new 1967 Ducati Bronco 350 at age 12. I don't know if it is the huge traffic growth where I am in W WA after moving from Montana, or what...but I've lost my desire to ride. Sold my last Harley months ago, and I don't miss it. Is it just me, or is there anyone else who is thinking about hanging it up? It sucks! Like dumping an old friend you've had most of your life. Anyway, I'm happy for all of you who would rather be on two wheels than anything else!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

The huge increase in traffic and texters has taken a lot of fun out of my local rides, but luckily out here in the west I can usually push through it and get to open roads in less than an hour.

Everywhere I go has more tourists every time I get there, so it won't last forever, but so far, so good!

Old 07-16-2018, 01:00 PM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Seems like the last 5 years I've lost interest in hardcore riding after losing 4 friends who are riders to death. 3 of them with left turn cagers and 1 at his own fault. Yeah, I get pissed off at people who drive, text and talk on their phones. I'd rather live and die at a later date.

Still ride nowadays when I can. Rode last Saturday nearly 300 miles and got real tired afterwards. It isn't the same anymore so I'll take it one day at a time and see how things will float my way.

Thorey

Old 07-16-2018, 01:00 PM
TroutBum
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and our traffic sucks big time. Lane splitting makes it tolerable, but you have to keep your wits about you. To keep riding interesting and fun I seek out the roads less traveled. I've found 100s of miles to ride. Ask touring cyclists (a bike shop is a great place to find cyclist to ask) where they ride. They tend to ride roads very few cars will use.

Last edited by TroutBum; 07-16-2018 at 01:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tony P (07-18-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

The physical pain which is now involved with riding makes me wonder why I keep doing it every time I ride. But and however every time I have one of those perfect rides, it just seems to make it all worth while. Yesterday I had one of those perfect rides, you know, 80 degrees, no wind, riding in a national forest, perfect cloud cover, and no traffic. Ah the sites and smells of mother nature. I hope I can get another couple years before the arthritis makes my right hand completely useless.

bentparts (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

You have a lot of great areas to ride over there, But you need to go over the hill.
Seattle Metro sucks from Baham to Portland.
Run over to three finger jacks, you will be back in the thrill zone.

FunGramps (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:22 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

I go back and forth for sure. I certainly have not lost all interest. As others are saying the distracted drivers now a days certainly come into play every time I ride. I keep thinking IF I get myself a new ride it will invigorate my joy of the hobby back to what it used to be, but honestly, I don't think it will. I still do enjoy riding, but find now a days I'm less tolerant to the elements/weather... I think about friends who have gotten in accidents or died while riding. I'll keep riding for now, but as been mentioned, it is certainly taken day by day. I do find I ride less and less every year.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:23 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,640 Likes on 4,631 Posts

I can relate completely. Its just not fun any more, My friends don't ride any more, I've been everywhere around So cal, a bunch of times. the wife doesn't ride with me any more. The few destinations I would go to here in the county, have closed. I'm just not interested in riding much any more. Its like its run its course. Most likely not long for riding much longer, myself. Traffic, and crazy drivers do add to the problem, to be sure

FunGramps (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 01:27 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,097 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I can relate...I'm not nearly as passionate about riding as I used to be, but I still enjoy it and plan to continue when I heal enough from a bad fall 3 months ago that broke my hip and forced a complete right hip replacement.

My son"s FIL that lives in AL wants my RK and I'll probably cheap sell it to him for $4K and let my son trailer it to Al with the clear title. I'm not healing as well as I hoped and I'm afraid the bike is gonna be too much weight to safely handle. I'll keep the Suzuki motorsicles due to the lighter weight difference and ride them when I'm able...I dunno when, maybe within another 3 months? I hope...

Last edited by SBRob; 07-16-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:27 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

I"m not there... yet. But I think I'm on the pathway.

Every summer, I think about crazy, distracted, dumbass drivers on phones and facebook and every other imaginable distraction while driving, from teenagers in sedans, to mothers in minivans, to OTR truck drivers in big rigs.

However, it is still the best anti-depressant I know of, so for the time being, I'm still riding. But I totally get where you're coming from.

Quick Reply: The Thrill Is Gone