Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling Baffles on 2017+ Models

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 AM
Numinex
Cruiser
Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Drilling Baffles on 2017+ Models

I need to get it from a more reliable source. I asked in the past and got conflicting info. So I'll simplify. Is it okay to just drill out/ remove the baffles from the stock FX pipes and be okay without a race tuner? I'd love to get a bit more sound out of my 2017 Superlow 883 but currently don't have the funds to pay for a Tuner. As I figure if I go that route I might as well upgrade to the Screaming Chicken air cleaner setup as well. But can I drill out the pipes for now sans a tuner.? I have noticed this bike runs lean as heck to begin with so I'd hate to burn it down going too lean. The older EFIs seemed to be okay doing it and I still have the parts in a baggie for carb bikes. Lol .Eventually the bikes getting a Suoertrapp 2 into 1 as well maybe years from now .

So what did they change for 17? I noticed this on a few other models as well saying it cannot be done.

Side question, I got my new timer cover in today and popped it on to the shock of nothing is under the cover anymore, guess they are using some other method for spark pick up?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Numinex; 08-14-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:00 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Drilling baffles is NEVER a great idea. Will it make it louder, yes but it also usually hurts performance. Spend the money and get a set of slip ons. Exhaust companies spend mega bucks getting exhausts to flow better as well as sound better, if it was as easy as poking holes in the stock ones, they all would be out of business years ago. Personally I've never heard a set of drilled baffles that sound GOOD, they are simply louder and often have a hollow tinnyt sound. It's your bike, do watcha want.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:30 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

What kind of Air Fuel Ratio gauge are you running to determine it is running lean?

The stage 1 tunes from HD for the 2014+ Sportsters I have looked at have all been running richer than the older EFI Sportsters, which only ran at 14.6 to 1 up to about 30% throttle.
Above 30% throttle you will be mostly around 12.5 - 13 to 1 even with a stock HD tune.
The Sportsters have been using the Crankshaft position sensor / ECU for spark timing since 2007.

In the US the warranty is voided on 2017+ models if you use any tuner other than the HD Pro Street Tuner. (required by the Harley / EPA Settlement)
The Pro Street Tuner does not allow changes to the Air Fuel Ratio (lambda) Table.
In some markets the Sportsters have catalytic converters, so check first to confirm you do not have cats in the muffler.
They may be in the header pipe.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,418 Likes on 2,946 Posts

Originally Posted by shanneba
What kind of Air Fuel Ratio gauge are you running to determine it is running lean?

The stage 1 tunes from HD for the 2014+ Sportsters I have looked at have all been running richer than the older EFI Sportsters, which only ran at 14.6 to 1 up to about 30% throttle.
Above 30% throttle you will be mostly around 12.5 - 13 to 1 even with a stock HD tune.
The Sportsters have been using the Crankshaft position sensor / ECU for spark timing since 2007.

In the US the warranty is voided on 2017+ models if you use any tuner other than the HD Pro Street Tuner. (required by the Harley / EPA Settlement)
The Pro Street Tuner does not allow changes to the Air Fuel Ratio (lambda) Table.
In some markets the Sportsters have catalytic converters, so check first to confirm you do not have cats in the muffler.
On the '17 Superlow the cats are in the mufflers. The stock mufflers that came off of my '17 Superlow are sitting in the box the Rush slipons came in.

To the OP... You MIGHT get by without a tuner just changing out the exhaust, you'll definitely need one if you change the air cleaner.

In my 40+ years of riding, a drilled out baffle sounds... well... like a drilled out baffle, louder but nasty sounding IMO. I'd wait until you have the funds and buy a set of slipons, but that's me.

Last edited by firehawk6; 08-14-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by shanneba

17 sporty ‘s the cats in the muffs

Wiz 🍸

Old 08-14-2018, 11:03 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
On the '17 Superlow the cats are in the mufflers. The stock mufflers that came off of my '17 Superlow are sitting in the box the Rush slipons came in.

To the OP... You MIGHT get by without a tuner just changing out the exhaust, you'll definitely need one if you change the air cleaner.

In my 40+ years of riding, a drilled out baffle sounds... well... like a drilled out baffle, louder but nasty sounding IMO. I'd wait until you have the funds and buy a set of slipons, but that's me.
Ive heard some pretty nice tunes from a set of drilled out muffs , the note is there But very little effect in the HP department.

Get ya self a tuner and do it right

Gee Wiz 🍸

Old 08-15-2018, 02:40 AM
Numinex
Cruiser
Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for all the info I am straightened out now. I'll just keep saving my pennies and wait till warranty is up in 15 months and get my Supertrapp 2 into 1 I want and the off branded Tuner to save a bit.

​​​​​​As far as lean, I have been told they bikes are on the ragged edge of lean to pass emissions, even with the cats in the pipes. It's not popping on decel like it's lean so it's probably with all this new emissions right where it needs to be. Just can't run to HD anymore and have them toss on Stg1 and be good. Gotta have a external tuner now sadly, the days of taking the 1 7/8s holesaw and drilling the baffles out are long gone I guess. (I always thought they sounded okay with the ballfles drilled/removed) But the last bike we did this on was an 05 Hugger, and it ran good even with a K/N Air cleaner but we left the housing stock. My old 96, it was a carbed of course, we rejetted and shimmed the needle, pulled the baffles out, and ran the heck out of it without issues . On a Dyna we played with with the same mufflers it was an early SPI Bike, but we drilled the baffles out and dynoed it so I know it reduces a bit of power, but oddly we messed around and drilled and inserted a 7/16 bolt at the end of both head pipes and gained a few HP the other way so whatever BP you lose is very minimal but again 15 year old bike vs new with a totally different emissions and controls.

So I'll just leave the pipes be unless I stumble on a set of take offs or slip ons with the correct back pressure so I can get away without a tuner. Just everything I read was either one either modify exhaust or air intake and a tuner is required, where as before it was only if the intake was modded. Appreciate getting the facts straight .

Last edited by Numinex; 08-15-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:01 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,736 Likes on 2,401 Posts

My experience with a 2017 1200 SuperLow the exhaust note is raspy from the factory because of the lean mixture setting.

If you can get the ECU mapped to richen up the mixture the exhaust note mellows out and the engine runs much nicer. Based on what I have seen the gains are not so great that the cost of a dealer fitted stage 1 is worth it.