Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with settings...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:13 AM
Morpheusdead
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with settings...

So I have a 2017 Road Glide special. I have been very disappointed in the audio since I got it. I am a very fast rider etc. almost always going 90+ and for long rides.
Anyway I did what i thought was lots of reading/research and finally decided to install lower fairings, a DSR1, a ss pn4.1000d amp, and four hertz hcx 165 speakers.
I read all the installation and set up info on american hard bag and some here, and never could get a good sound out of it all. Finally I decided maybe the amp was too much for those speakers as I had to have the gain on amp almost all the way down.
So I returned the hcx 165's and bought 4 x Hertz MPX mille pro 165.3 speakers. i was able to turn amp up some to about 11 o'clock but now sometimes music pauses for a second if I'm playing it loud i think amp getting hot. Plus I can't for the life of me figure out how to properly set dsr1. I have tried the pink noise file and a rta app to show me the scale so i can try to flatten the signal with the EQ on dsr1 but honestly if i do that it sounds like crap and clips even more.

Looking for help, a better explanation of how to set this stuff up right. I guess I'm just not understanding the stuff out there i have seen.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:57 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I've had the best luck with flashing the bike first then tuning the DSP. Trying to flatten a process signal just to get to flat never provides the same sound. If you want to send me your radio I'll flash it for you and send it back. Tuning the DSP will be a much easier process at that point. Those speakers should be loud enough to enjoy at speed. Probably not as loud as you'd like but definitely not to give the issues you are having now.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:03 AM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by haze324
I've had the best luck with flashing the bike first then tuning the DSP. Trying to flatten a process signal just to get to flat never provides the same sound. If you want to send me your radio I'll flash it for you and send it back. Tuning the DSP will be a much easier process at that point. Those speakers should be loud enough to enjoy at speed. Probably not as loud as you'd like but definitely not to give the issues you are having now.
Have you tested all the various flash options in the hu? Is there a flash that offers a flat signal but still allows the fade function to work?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Morph, did you have any trouble fitting the HCXs in the fairing pods?
(I would think the HCX and MPX would sound and perform about the same.)

Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN

Have you tested all the various flash options in the hu? Is there a flash that offers a flat signal but still allows the fade function to work?
I have not tested them all for fade function. I played with a few for the flattest signal and rolled out with 8/2 option as the best sounding. I'll try a few here soon.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:33 PM
Morpheusdead
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
Morph, did you have any trouble fitting the HCXs in the fairing pods?
(I would think the HCX and MPX would sound and perform about the same.)
Neither will fit in the pods. You have to notch the pod a bit for one corner of magnet to poke through a bit. Oddly the cheaper speaker the hcx is deeper and requires a bigger notch.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:02 PM
Grouyv
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haze, at the end of the week, I install an RF HD14-Tkit with a DSR1. But before that the HU will be flashed (Friday). According to what I can find as information, RF recommends 2 speakers, one amp. Does 8 speakers 2 amp have the same effect on the equalizer curve? The rear speakers will be installed next summer, so I would like to make a flash that would allow me to activate everything.On the other hand, I believe that the fader option will not work with these flashes.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:19 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grouyv
Haze, at the end of the week, I install an RF HD14-Tkit with a DSR1. But before that the HU will be flashed (Friday). According to what I can find as information, RF recommends 2 speakers, one amp. Does 8 speakers 2 amp have the same effect on the equalizer curve? The rear speakers will be installed next summer, so I would like to make a flash that would allow me to activate everything.On the other hand, I believe that the fader option will not work with these flashes.
8/2 has the flattest signal. I used it with every install we do regardless of what the actual install is on the bike. You may not need a DSR1 if you are running coax speakers and can adjust the crossovers on the amp. I'm always a fan of using DSP and EQing each channel separately but understand there is a huge learning curve and sometimes the confusion of setting up the DSP just makes things sound worse.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Morpheusdead
Advanced

Originally Posted by haze324
8/2 has the flattest signal. I used it with every install we do regardless of what the actual install is on the bike. You may not need a DSR1 if you are running coax speakers and can adjust the crossovers on the amp. I'm always a fan of using DSP and EQing each channel separately but understand there is a huge learning curve and sometimes the confusion of setting up the DSP just makes things sound worse.
8 speakers two amps? is the flash you recommend? I haven't seen anyone talk about that flash before. right now I only have resistors on front left and front right radio outputs running to the high lvl inputs one and two on the DSR1. I didn't do anything on the rear speaker harness that is not even hooked up from the factory so no resistors there. Then on the outputs of DSR1 i use output 1, output 2, Output 5 and output 6 to the front and back inputs of pn4.1000d amp. and in the dsr all outputs are fullrange highpassed at 100hz.

My stock 6.5 boom HU is NOT flashed right now. it was a normal RG special two speakers in fairing no amp.

I bought the resistors and did this, but only the fronts left and right because i didnt have the harley plug for the rears and i didnt want to cut anything.

Last edited by Morpheusdead; 09-17-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Grouyv
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Haze,
With these setting (8 speaker, 2 amp or 2 speaker 1 amp) if I am right, the FADE function on the HU is lost. Therefore, I will use the trim level adjustment of the DSR1 to overcome the lost of the FADE. I don't know if it is a good strategy but I will try it . You are right about the DSP but I am use to play with that in audio. So, I feel confident about that.

Can you confirm that with this setting, the FADE function on the head unit is not working anymore. I would like to know before I will do the flash.

I think these precision are good for Morpheus as well.

Thank.

Quick Reply: Need help with settings...