Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 AM
Mach1diesel
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turn Signal Failure

Hi All,

1994 FLHTC

Was riding home from work yesterday and my turn signals stopped working. Headlights work (Hi and Lo), horn works, brake lights work, front turn signal bulbs illuminate properly as running lights.

I pulled the turn signal module and began following the test procedure in the service manual. Have power, have ground. Had to stop there because it was too late and I didn't have a jumper wire handy.

The test procedure says that if all tests pass, replace the module.

Assuming the rest of the tests pass, which seem to be more for eliminating one side or the other, is there anything else I should check before I pay for this module ($150, at least).

The only thing I can think of was that I hit a good sized bump on an off-ramp (unavoidable). Could that have jarred something loose at the rear? Would an issue with the rear signals (ground, blown bulb) cause all the blinkers to stop working?

Thanks in advance. I did quite a bit of searching on the forums last night, but I am hoping to have this fixed before the long weekend. Didn't get into the wiring diagrams yet.

-Nick

Old 05-23-2019, 04:55 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Nick, I have already had one of those modules fail, although they were still readily available at the time. If yours has indeed failed I suggest you look at aftermarket alternatives, such as Badlands.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:15 AM
madleemark
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, i had problems with the indicators on my bike, sometimes would not work on one side, then stopped working altogether, after checking everything i could, i bought a badlands flasher module, indicators now work fine, only difference is the self cancel function is a fixed time delay, it does not connect to the speedo, like the original, but so far all good

Old 05-25-2019, 09:11 PM
Mach1diesel
Advanced

A dealer an hour away had one in stock, so I went with that. If it doesn’t hold up for some reason, I will look into the Badlands one. Thank you both.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:48 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mach1diesel
A dealer an hour away had one in stock, so I went with that. If it doesn’t hold up for some reason, I will look into the Badlands one. Thank you both.
My replacement has been fine, probably for longer than the original one lasted. If your new one gives you similar service to the dead one, you should be OK for quite some time yet!

Old 05-26-2019, 08:28 PM
avenger09123
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to white enamel the inside of my blinker assemblies and get the badlands turn signal module as well so I could put in some LED's since they say it has a load balancer for them in it already.

Just FYI - MidUSA cycle parts has the modules in their catalogue - however the pictures of the items don't show them having the plugs on the ends of them, so you might have to buy the model off of fleabay to get that.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by avenger09123
I was going to white enamel the inside of my blinker assemblies and get the badlands turn signal module as well so I could put in some LED's since they say it has a load balancer for them in it already.

Just FYI - MidUSA cycle parts has the modules in their catalogue - however the pictures of the items don't show them having the plugs on the ends of them, so you might have to buy the model off of fleabay to get that.
Be sure to get the correct Badlands module, as they make several. I still use my stock Harley flasher module, plus a Badlands LED module, however as you observe they also make an LED specific replacement. It is worth checking their own website, as last time I looked they had various options available.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:35 PM
sB43
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Been there done that brother. Check for shorts or bad power connections. Wire could be pinched somewhere or a bad ground. Took me a while to find it.

Old 05-29-2019, 07:45 PM
Mach1diesel
Advanced

Put it all back together and have about 100 miles on it with no issues.

For future reference, the module can be accessed from the right side of the bike, no need to open the fairing. Part number is 68570-94B.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Glad you got it sorted out.
I prefer the OEM stuff to the Badlands too.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Failure