EVO All Evo Model Discussion

My carb was binge eating dirt again. Head removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:17 PM
thatctguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My carb was binge eating dirt again. Head removal?

Well long story short I lost it and she ended up sliding in grass. Among other issues it looks like my carb was binge eating dirt/fertilizer. When I took it off I noticed a small amt of sand/dirt/dust on the side connected to the intake. I stuck my finger down both sides of the intake and it had a very light sand/dirt coating so it appears that a little made it past/under the butterfly. I don't want to destroy my motor so how do I make sure I'm not putting any dirt/sand thru it? Is my next step removing the heads and cleaning them up?

#dirtycarb

Last edited by thatctguy; 07-14-2019 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Error
Old 07-13-2019, 11:37 PM
BB.No8
Tourer

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

You could try taking the carb off and checking the intake on both cylinders to see if you can see any dirt down by the valves, also put the bore scope in the spark plug holes and see if you have any dirt in the cylinders. But to be honest even if you don't see any dirt I'd be pretty leary of running the bike without taking off the heads for a good look, and I would suspect that banging the carb that hard on the ground you might also have a intake leak now. How many miles on the bike? might be time for a refresh or performance mods on the top end.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Easy enough to just remove the intake and inspect.. Blow out the head ports with shop air d replace the manifold to head seal... Judging by that pic your gonna need them anyways..... Oh yeah and probably rebuild the carb too.. Curious how the hell that happened??????

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 07-14-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:40 AM
V-Twins & Bowties
Road Warrior
Received 505 Likes on 278 Posts
Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 AM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BB.No8
You could try taking the carb off and checking the intake on both cylinders to see if you can see any dirt down by the valves, also put the bore scope in the spark plug holes and see if you have any dirt in the cylinders. But to be honest even if you don't see any dirt I'd be pretty leary of running the bike without taking off the heads for a good look, and I would suspect that banging the carb that hard on the ground you might also have a intake leak now. How many miles on the bike? might be time for a refresh or performance mods on the top end.
I already have the carb off and felt both sides of the intake manifold and there was a little grit. Gonna take the manifold off today and get a better look. About 34k on the bike. Just did base gaskets, new jugs, and pistons last season.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:23 AM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Easy enough to just remove the intake and inspect.. Blow out the head ports with shop air d replace the manifold to head seal... Judging by that pic your gonna need them anyways..... Oh yeah and probably rebuild the carb too.. Curious how the hell that happened??????
Good idea, didn't even think of using air. Gonna take off the manifold and check it out today. Lol@ carb rebuild; that's definitely a given. Well I was riding like an as*h*le, going way too fast, went to get off an exit and traffic was unexpectedly backed up. I couldn't stop in time and instead of rear ending a car I was able to just make it to the grass on side of exit ramp (maybe 1 foot into the grass). I think when I tried to get back to the pavement the bike came out from under me, the bike went sliding on the grass and took out a sign. I on the other hand was rolling down the exit like Sonic the hedgehog. Good times. Luckily I came out of it with a nice helping of road rash and a few stitches; def could've been worse. Def some damage to the bike but nothing major that I can't fix.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry to hear, wasn't going to ask but I'm glad you're okay, That's the important thing. Bikes can always be fixed. Probably did suck some grit in the cylinders then. Based on how it happened.. I would definitely get a bore scope and have look into the cylinders..

Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 PM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Well got the intake manifold off and there was a very light layer of grit on lower portion. Swiped my fingers in and there was a little grit on my fingers; wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I took a cple pics before swiping. Didn't have time to use any on it today. I guess I'm gonna hit up harbor freight tomm for a bore scope. On a side note it appears as though I'll be replacing the intake manifold; found a little damage to it.

Rear

Front

Intake manifold damage

Old 07-14-2019, 07:27 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I definitely see spec's of dirt on the guide and valve stem. This is a tough call, not sure if you're really going to be able to get it all cleaned out of the cylinders without ripping them down. Maybe somebody else has a suggestion but usually there is a little bit of oil and fuel in there and you can pick some of those specs up into the rings where it can scuff up your cylinders as well as do damage to the rings.. like I said it's a tough call... I never got dirt into my cylinders before and as we all know it's an abrasive... A tear down now will save a lot later... At the worst it's just a hone, new rings and a gasket set... Honestly, I wouldn't take a chance.. JMHO...

The following users liked this post:
Beemervet (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 11:53 PM
thatctguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thatctguy
Well got the intake manifold off and there was a very light layer of grit on lower portion. Swiped my fingers in and there was a little grit on my fingers; wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I took a cple pics before swiping. Didn't have time to use any on it today. I guess I'm gonna hit up harbor freight tomm for a bore scope. On a side note it appears as though I'll be replacing the intake manifold; found a little damage
I wasn't able to edit my post. I meant to say I didn't have time to use any air on it today

Quick Reply: My carb was binge eating dirt again. Head removal?