Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2004 Road Glide EFI Cranks but No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 01:29 AM
Garrman
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2004 Road Glide EFI Cranks but No Start

Hi Members,

I picked up a 2004 Road Glide EFI with legitimate 305 miles on it. The previous owner bought it and just never had a chance to ride it much. I am told the owner would go into the garage and start the bike every few months.

Fast forward to today. A buddy was at the previous owner’s house trying unsuccessfully to start the bike. It would crank without issue but would not start. I have no idea if there was old gas in the tank but fresh fuel was added. I am told they sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body and the engine started for a moment. This would suggest a fuel issue to me.

We loaded the bike up on a trailer and brought it to my garage. I have checked fuses (all good), system relay (clicks) and the tach shows ~300 rpm while cranking so that makes me believe the CKP is good.

One thing that bothers me is I don’t hear the fuel pump when I push the stop/run switch to the run position. On my 2002 Road King there is a distinct sound as the fuel pump comes up to pressure.

Any suggestions where I might look next? I went into this deal with the understanding this was a running bike. It still might be a good deal but I need to figure out the no start issue.

Thanks,

Garrman

Last edited by Garrman; 07-21-2019 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Fix title
Old 07-21-2019, 05:39 AM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Leave ignition off for 60 seconds then turn it on and if you don't hear the fuel pump spin up for 2 seconds then you have found your answer.
One way to quickly check the fuel pump is to run a power lead straight from the battery to one side of the pump fuse and it should fire up.
Good luck.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Garrman
Cruiser

I tried the leave the ignition off for 60 seconds then listen for the pump. I still don't hear it.

I have confirmed power up to the fuel tank canopy. I measure ~12.5 volts at the Orange/Grey wire for about three seconds but still no sound from the fuel pump.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:19 PM
Garrman
Cruiser

Follow on question.

This is the first Harley I have owned with a security system. Before I drain the tank and pull the fuel pump, could the security system be preventing power to the fuel pump?

I turn the ignition switch to on, I see a red key icon illuminated for about 10 seconds. I switch the stop/run switch to run and the red key icon lights again for about 10 seconds.

The bike came with an owners manual but it's a bit unclear where the security system is concerned.

Any chance this could be all or part of the problem or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,
Garrman

Old 07-21-2019, 02:34 PM
scotty3
Road Captain

If you have a key fob it might need a new battery and it is a double click like mouse to disarm and hold down to activate.
If you don't have a fob then under the seat is a clip that holds down the TSSM/TSM if you remove the clip you can lift it up and get the part number and can work out from there if it has security.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:00 PM
Garrman
Cruiser

Well, swapped the tank from my FLHPI and the bike fired right up. Guess I got my answer.

A new fuel pump should be delivered sometime tomorrow.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:37 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty3
If you have a key fob it might need a new battery and it is a double click like mouse to disarm and hold down to activate.
If you don't have a fob then under the seat is a clip that holds down the TSSM/TSM if you remove the clip you can lift it up and get the part number and can work out from there if it has security.
If the alarm is tripped it will not crank. If it cranks it's not fob related.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:48 AM
scotty3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
If the alarm is tripped it will not crank. If it cranks it's not fob related.

LOL I was responding to his question "could the security system be preventing power to the fuel pump?" and the answer is yes
Who knows what happened to his bike. Where you there? However when the TSSM and ECM are not married it will crank and fuel pump stops.

Keep trying Ed you are only making a fool of yourself.

Last edited by scotty3; 07-27-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:51 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

Scotty,
Please don't take this the wrong way, as we both know that i do not know you, personally. There are however other people on this board that I do know, and Have MET PERSONALLY. One of these people is ED and he was one of my instructors when I attended FACTORY Training at HarelyDavidson in WI. He is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum, and has probably forgotten more info than most of us ever learn about HD motorcycles.
I have seen you insult other known Knowledgeable people here and it's getting kind of old! If you want to participate in the discussions, fine. Please just keep your insults and shitty comments to yourself, AS YOU ARE the one coming off as the *******.
Marco

The following users liked this post:
jbarr1 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 10:05 AM
Garrman
Cruiser

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips. I ordered a fuel pump from a supplier in Ventura California. After installation the bike fired right up. One minor issue I need to look at is the fuel gauge. I only put about a gallon and a half in the tank and the gauge reads just over half full. Looks like I'll be needing some more canopy screws.

At this point the plan is to change out fluids and give it a good going over. Thanks again for the info, I am sure I will have more questions as I continue this project.

Garrman

Quick Reply: 2004 Road Glide EFI Cranks but No Start