Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a few opinions, comments before I pull the trigger on a set of bars

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:35 PM
Superdog3:16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 723 Likes on 443 Posts
Default Looking for a few opinions, comments before I pull the trigger on a set of bars

I have a 2014 road King I don't run a windshield on. The bars are comfortable, but I don't like the way they look. I think I'm going with kst renegades. 10inch. How tall do you think the stock bars are?
I'm gonna try to do it myself, take my time. Dealer installation and some of the kits are rediculously expensive. Anything I may be overlooking, need to know, etc? Think anything will need to be lengthened on 10"? Appreciate any tips or info, thanx!

Old 01-13-2020, 02:18 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

I would check the Parts and Accessories catalog and try to find your stock bars. Get the various dimensions for those (rise, pull back, width,etc) and look to see what else is available bar wise. You need to know what your rise and pull back is if comfort is a concern. How far back, how close, how far forward.... Check your bike and see what kinds of cables, wiring, etc you have and if there is any wiggle room Does it look like you have enough to handle a 1" or 2" change in dimensions or will you need to replace some components. If you are interested in these renegades bars, find the dimensions for that and compare to what you have.
If you decide to do this yourself, get a factory service manual and the parts manual. It will show you how and what to do. The Parts manual will show you some exploded views of various assemblies to help you change parts. Over all not difficult unless you need to change brake lines or some of the electrics. You need to be very careful when changing the switch pods not to pinch or scrap those wires. A little patience and you can do this yourself. And if you are experienced and know how, my apologies as I do not mean to belittle any one!!!
Good Luck!!!

The following users liked this post:
Superdog3:16 (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 05:00 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

I need to research how to depin the wiring plugs too. I gotta think that with a 10" bar, that everything will be long enough. Idk.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:22 PM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,629 Likes on 2,684 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdog3:16
I need to research how to depin the wiring plugs too. I gotta think that with a 10" bar, that everything will be long enough. Idk.
You don’t run a windshield and like the position of stock bars. Same here.

is it possible that taller bars will sit you more upright and create more wind resistance and tire you out on longer rides?

I lean forward on the breezeway to minimize the sail effect

Not a popular opinion but it works for me

YMMV

Yee Hog (01-20-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 05:53 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,478 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I've done a few bars in the past , along with the King I own now . I have 10" bars on mine and didn't have to lengthen anything . You'll find that there will be enough length on the cable's as well as some extra wire in the head light bucket if you need it , but you most likely won't . You shouldn't have any trouble installing the kst renegades 10" , just take your time .

Only advice I can offer is if your doing internal wiring ... If your adding heated grips , cut the connector off and straight solder the two wires so it's easier to pull through .

Old 01-13-2020, 06:47 PM
pigfoot63
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts

Just put 12 in. KST Spearheads on my 2020 RGS, fairly simple install. I also installed heated grips at the same time.
Wires are easy to install in these as they are a three piece fully adjustable system.

BRKLYN1955 (05-10-2024)
Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by eighteight
You don’t run a windshield and like the position of stock bars. Same here.

is it possible that taller bars will sit you more upright and create more wind resistance and tire you out on longer rides?

I lean forward on the breezeway to minimize the sail effect

Not a popular opinion but it works for me

YMMV
Like I said, I like the position/height of the stock, I just think they look goofy. I'm thinking the stock are probably close to 10" rise? I think the beefier renegades with the "hooks" look badass. I'm also a little nervouse ordering, because some sites say they fit 14 FLHR and some say they don't. Wtf?

Old 01-13-2020, 11:07 PM
Old_Bikes
Club Member
Received 221 Likes on 144 Posts

Give KST a call, they can set you straight. They were doing installs out at Sturgis, so they have an idea of what works. I installed 16-inch Mayhem bars on my Road King, and a set of 10-inch Mayhem Baggers on the 2014 CVO Limited. I really like both. Road King is my daily ride, and the CVO for trips and rides with my wife. The bars on the CVO made a huge difference in comfort for me (I am 6' 3").

Old 01-13-2020, 11:24 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep. In my case, it's 95% astheticly driven.

Im pretty sure chrome, but have considered a set of gloss black ones too? Idk.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:54 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

I emailed HST and asked about the right bars for my 14 RK. He said "I strongly suggest going with the 12" over the 10"." Any idea why he said that? Is it because they're not much higher than stock to get a difference? I looked around and found a site that gave specs on factory bars, but only went to 2013. For 2013 it listed stock height at 7.5".

Quick Reply: Looking for a few opinions, comments before I pull the trigger on a set of bars